Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay, what about dash foam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I thought this would be easy but spent too much time today trying to find replacement foam on the top front of the dash next to the windshield and covered in vinyl. With the best scrap of my fossilized original foam in hand, I searched in vain at a fabric store and Michael's. Finally broke my taboo and went into Wal-mart yikes.gif where I found a sheet of open cell foam 1/4" thick. Hard to tell how thick the original was before 40 years of "significant shrinkage" took its toll, but its barely over 1/16" thick now.I'm not sure if 1/4" is too thick and won't open the package until I have a ruling from the committee. I'm thinking 1/8" thick would be better, but where to find? beerchug.gif
Rand
I love it when people admit it's not so easy...
Do you want to form this stuff yourself? If so, you have your answer.
Do you want something you can place? I'd check with 914rubber on that.
There may be some installers near you who could help stretch / steam everything into place.
raynekat
In Portland we have a fabric store called Jo Anne's that has more of this kind of stuff than Michael's does.
I think I did find some 1/4 or 3/16" that worked out nicely.
mepstein
Lots of different options on eBay for foam. I got some high density piece for seat bases. For the dash, I just purchased the foam and vinyl from 914rubber.
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 27 2018, 05:42 PM) *

In Portland we have a fabric store called Jo Anne's that has more of this kind of stuff than Michael's does.
I think I did find some 1/4 or 3/16" that worked out nicely.

JoAnne's is where I went first and came up empty handed. I found their foam selection in general lacking. I suspect it is a smaller store that what they have in larger cities.

What I got at Wal-Mart looks to be a pretty close match except for thickness. But all I have is a shriveled up 40 year old piece so I don't know how thick it is supposed to be. If 1/4" is good, I have what I need. If not, I need to source the right thickness.

P.S.Ordered the kitchen sink resto kit from 914rubber that includes the dash kit, but I don't think it includes the foam.
bbrock
Okay, my bad. Just checked the listing on the Resto Kit again and it does say "Dash Pad with Vinyl." That means I have to break my Wal-Mart taboo again to return this. That's okay.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 27 2018, 08:28 PM) *

Okay, my bad. Just checked the listing on the Resto Kit again and it does say "Dash Pad with Vinyl." That means I have to break my Wal-Mart taboo again to return this. That's okay.

yes, the 914rubber kit is vinyl and foam. I feel your pain, 2 trips to walmart in a year might do me in.
Mikey914
We actually have been able to get 1/8" foam that works well for this application. It's what we are selling now. You can use 1/4, but the 1/8" looks more stock.
SO, the resto kit will have this in it for you.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 27 2018, 07:36 PM) *

We actually have been able to get 1/8" foam that works well for this application. It's what we are selling now. You can use 1/4, but the 1/8" looks more stock.
SO, the resto kit will have this in it for you.

You da man! beerchug.gif
theer
You think it's hard now??? You have no idea.

Back in the days before 914Rubber, I searched for the thin foam padding everywhere.. and finally found it at a carpet store.

So sorry about your Walmart ordeal.
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 27 2018, 06:28 PM) *

Just buy some oil while you're there. Cheapest anywhere and it's just a commodity so you don't have to feel like you need a shower after leaving.
Rob-O
I just used headliner material. Then covered that in the appropriate vinyl. The headliner material was slightly thicker than the original foam but not by much. Can’t really tell when it’s on the dash and covered with vinyl.

Headliner material was easy to find. I got mine at JoAnne’s but I’m sure you can find it elsewhere.
rstover
I recently did this and I used a kit. The foam was ruff cut, but needed trimming on the the curved section and around the vents. Getting the foam cut exactly I thought was maybe the hardest part. My wife did most of this and we tried to get the foam to fit the top of the radius exactly where the metal bends down. When we glued the vinyl we only did half at a time and started from passenger side. If I was doing it again I would stop at middle of vent openings. This would be only a third at a time, but it is easy when only one edge is glued to get a good start again. We trimed and did the vent openings a week later. The glue used was HH-66.

Click to view attachment

When you are at Walmart go to the craft section and pick up a bag of different size brushes for 5 bucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.