Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Tube Broke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Never thought I'd say this but I'm glad it happened. I'd been adjusting the cable tension on the V8 914 thinking the new cable was kaput but I felt it in the pedal today for the first time. It's a piece of cake repair compared to some other things I've been wrestling with. Wish @cuddy_k was still in this neck of the woods; I'd video the repair. sad.gif
jim_hoyland
Good to hear you got it fixed; what did you do ? Replace or repair ?
76-914
Haven't done it on this car yet. It will have to wait until the rain stops. Apparently there are only 2 types; those that broke and those that have yet to break. lol-2.gif
iankarr
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 28 2018, 10:59 PM) *

Never thought I'd say this but I'm glad it happened. I'd been adjusting the cable tension on the V8 914 thinking the new cable was kaput but I felt it in the pedal today for the first time. It's a piece of cake repair compared to some other things I've been wrestling with. Wish @cuddy_k was still in this neck of the woods; I'd video the repair. sad.gif

@76-914 I'll be in Cali next week....wink.gif
MikeM
What did you feel in the pedal?
Mike
iankarr
When it happened on mine, the pedal felt "springy", like it was "bowing" rather than pulling.
MikeM
Springy as in very "light"?
Pretty sure I'm having the same issue.
Mike
iankarr
QUOTE(MikeM @ Nov 29 2018, 03:15 PM) *

Springy as in very "light"?
Pretty sure I'm having the same issue.
Mike

Kinda. Less resistance than normal when pushing and more of a pull to return than normal. If you wanna be sure, unbolt the shifter (3 bolts) and move to the right so you can see the clutch tube. Press the pedal and if it moves at all, you're part of the club.
dwillouby
Time to switch to a Hyd clutch. smile.gif

David
76-914
QUOTE(MikeM @ Nov 29 2018, 11:56 AM) *

What did you feel in the pedal?
Mike

I felt the accelerator pedal move slightly when the clutch was pushed down. The same sensation you'd feel if you routed the clutch cable incorrectly but less pronounced. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Nov 29 2018, 01:03 PM) *

Time to switch to a Hyd clutch. smile.gif

David

That's always an option. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Nov 29 2018, 12:13 PM) *

When it happened on mine, the pedal felt "springy", like it was "bowing" rather than pulling.

Was your break at the rear of the tunnel. I haven't had one tear loose at the rear yet. I've seen it on others though. beerchug.gif
RickS
The retaining clips broke in mine in two or maybe three places. Took two separate repairs, soooooooo... better check or repair all the clips or you will be back in it again.
GaroldShaffer
When my clutch tube broke I wasn't able to hit reverse or 4th & 5th. Every time I would push in the clutch the tube would move in the way of the shifter. My tube was broken in the tunnel.
iankarr
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 29 2018, 05:13 PM) *

Was your break at the rear of the tunnel. I haven't had one tear loose at the rear yet. I've seen it on others though. beerchug.gif

On my 73 it broke at the rear. On the 74, it was the front. Both felt kinda the same.
MikeM
Thanks guys. This is all good info!! I have some investigating to do.
Mike
76-914
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Nov 29 2018, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 29 2018, 05:13 PM) *

On my 73 it broke at the rear. On the 74, it was the front. Both felt kinda the same.

IIRC, there are 3. The front 2 a fairly close to one another. The rear one breaks easily in "the rust buckets" as the lower firewall gets the rust worm. If it looks like the rust worm ate the tube away once I get in there I will convert to hydraulic and just use it as the sleeve for the AN-3 line. beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
76-914
Great pic Jeff. I just got it back together. I was wrong on two accounts. #1) What I thought to be the front weld breaking loose was actually the clip that holds the clevis to the clutch pedal cam. It rotated and was contacting the speedo cable. #2) The front and rear weld joints had been repaired previously but the middle one broke loose allowing the tube to flex quite a bit from right to left when the pedal was depressed. I read somewhere that the early model had a different center brace. Not much meat there so it was bound to wear out after 49 years. lol-2.gif Now I've got a solenoid going south. headbang.gif It's always something. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.