Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front strut crack repair - how to do it properly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning.

While discussing this high dollar car on this thread 914/6 at Canepa the topic of front strut stress cracking came up. I saw the same stress cracking as on a blue car I looked at in SoCal (that was about $100,000 less, ha) so people seem to know to look for it as a not uncommon issue.

I'd like to, for general knowledge, like to learn how to repair that correctly.

Is it "just" a matter of getting good welds back on the surrounding area? OR, depending on the cause of the cracks, do you need to get the car on a jig and make sure everything is aligned with weight on the front suspension and then weld up the cracks?

Click to view attachment
defianty
I've looked at this as closely as I can and wonder if those aren't actually cracks. Now I don't know sixes that well but I thought that black stuff was a tar like substance. I'm wondering if what look like cracks here are actually marks left in the tar where the suspension has been adjusted. You can see what looks like an indentation in the tar around the rear pressure plate too.

Larmo63
I don't recall hearing or seeing this as a known chassis crack area.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't idea.gif seem common to me.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that area is very well reinforced and we have never seen that area crack. HOWEVER, we have seen butcher alignment men, when the cars were lowered, and not able to bring the camber in to spec, grinding on the outside of the strut tower to allow the strut to be moved towards the outside a bit more.
tygaboy
And I believe the sheet metal is double layered in that area so an extra special fun repair, if welding is needed.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes you are correct doubly reinforced, so cracking is not a problem in this area

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 29 2018, 08:31 AM) *

And I believe the sheet metal is double layered in that area so an extra special fun repair, if welding is needed.

Tdskip
Thanks for the responses and education gentlemen.

So if you see a car with cracks there something pretty major by way of impact had to have happened to it I assume?
sixnotfour
Not cracks or welds ..the factory seal has been broken, and hardware replated ,,and new alignment,,leaving the old imprint of the factory alignment.....SIX
Chi-town
I'm finding some cars have a ton of undercoating there for some reason, looks like that is just some old build up.
gandalf_025
This is what my car looks like now.... It has never been aligned
And still has the factory struts in it....

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Never seen or heard of cracks there. IF it was a problem area Porsche would have addressed it when they went racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.