Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this NOS Horn Pad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
I got this horn pad in a lot with other Porsche parts. It still has its parts label on the back with 914.613.805.12 part number printed on it no date. The part number on the part itself is 914.613.805.0. I have never seen the small black gasket in place of the plunger before and it installs and comes out same way as the larger plunger. I am guessing this has never been installed since the label is still attached and it is in like new condition. Has anyone ever seen one with the label and small rubber gasket still in place?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
sithot
I have now. biggrin.gif
Mike Fitton
Is the small rubber gasket installed for later cars that didn't use the plunger?

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
May just be a shipping plug. That certainly looks like a NOS find to me.
Mike Fitton
Looks like someone used a power driver on the screws and over torque them, the slots have indents which could not be done by hand. I could picture someone at the dealer using a power driver to attach the hardware, Lol!
sithot
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 30 2018, 09:48 AM) *

Looks like someone used a power driver on the screws and over torque them, the slots have indents which could not be done by hand. I could picture someone at the dealer using a power driver to attach the hardware, Lol!

On slotted screws too. mad.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes for all 73-76 914-4 models only

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 29 2018, 06:45 PM) *

I got this horn pad in a lot with other Porsche parts. It still has its parts label on the back with 914.613.805.12 part number printed on it no date. The part number on the part itself is 914.613.805.0. I have never seen the small black gasket in place of the plunger before and it installs and comes out same way as the larger plunger. I am guessing this has never been installed since the label is still attached and it is in like new condition. Has anyone ever seen one with the label and small rubber gasket still in place?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

bbrock
QUOTE(sithot @ Nov 30 2018, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 30 2018, 09:48 AM) *

On slotted screws too. mad.gif

The screws on the horn pads of all three cars I've owned looked like that. The heads are pretty soft. Wouldn't surprise me if the factory used a power driver to speed assembly. I doubt they were as concerned as we are about the condition of screw heads. confused24.gif

I think these pics should be added to the nailed Interiors thread in the O&H forum. Nice reference pics. Just a couple weeks ago I was looking for pics to see how black these pads were originally.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the main problem with the 73-76 horn pad was the pesky horn plate with small male clip that held the horn wire, they often broke as the wire was tricky to install and then clip on the pad. We actually ran totally out of good used ones, and the early cars 70-71 had a different plate. We finally had it made with a reinforced clip, works great and has solved a nagging problem

Click to view attachment
sithot
If you must use a impact driver OR want complete control on a slotted screw you need "carb" type sockets. Never slip off and work well in "blind" locations.

Click to view attachment
johnhora
QUOTE(sithot @ Nov 30 2018, 10:45 AM) *

If you must use a impact driver OR want complete control on a slotted screw you need "carb" type sockets. Never slip off and work well in "blind" locations.

Click to view attachment

The things we learn here...never seen one of those sockets ...looks like a Snap-on piece is that correct
sithot
[quote name='johnhora' date='Nov 30 2018, 02:00 PM' post='2669993']
[quote name='sithot' post='2669975' date='Nov 30 2018, 10:45 AM']

The things we learn here...never seen one of those sockets ...looks like a Snap-on piece is that correct
[/quote]

Yes; they make 3 sizes. Work like a charm. For carb tuning but they're also handy for Norma Clamps and the like in tight areas because they won't slip off.

Click to view attachment
914forme
headbang.gif Never new these existed, and now they are heading for my tool box. headbang.gif
worn
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 30 2018, 05:14 PM) *

headbang.gif Never new these existed, and now they are heading for my tool box. headbang.gif

Like at Home Depot and garage sales? They work, but it seems like Phillips is more better.
sithot
QUOTE(worn @ Nov 30 2018, 09:16 PM) *

Like at Home Depot and garage sales? They work, but it seems like Phillips is more better.

No Phillips screws on my Weber or PMO carbs. wink.gif
Valy
QUOTE(sithot @ Nov 30 2018, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Nov 30 2018, 09:16 PM) *

No Phillips screws on my Weber or PMO carbs. wink.gif

Adjustment screws are usually slotted to allow for easier visual position tracking
StarBear
Sweet find! We should all be so lucky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.