Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster trans question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jb6000
Just wonder what year, or years, or year range is best for a Boxster S transaxle to swap in to a 914.

I wonder which years have the prefered belhousing pattern or shape.

Thank you in advance, driving.gif
Jerry
Mark Henry
Totally different pattern and no provision for the starter.
It's been discussed, but I don't know if there's an adaptor set-up for this yet.
jb6000
I have a '72 914.
It has the Renegade kit in it and a stock trans and a Chevy 350.

I want to change to a Boxster S trans.

I hear the trans with the round bell housing is difficult and the trans with the sort of octagon or angular shape is easyer.

I just wonder what year is going to work better.

I also want to add an Audi 1.8t 20 valve engine which I bought.

Jerry
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jb6000 @ Dec 1 2018, 01:02 PM) *

I have a '72 914.
It has the Renegade kit in it and a stock trans and a Chevy 350.

I want to change to a Boxster S trans.

I hear the trans with the round bell housing is difficult and the trans with the sort of octagon or angular shape is easyer.

I just wonder what year is going to work better.

I also want to add an Audi 1.8t 20 valve engine which I bought.

Jerry

The Boxster tranny that fits on the Chevy is not the one that will fit on the 1.8t motor. You have to make a choice. One or the other. There is a Boxster S tranny that fits the 1.8t but will not fit the Chevy.

I would suggest sourcing a TDI 6 speed from Europe. Most are front wheel drive and will fit the 1.8t.

What's you budget and skill level? The Chevy is much cheaper and requires less skill to get right. The 1.8t is more complicated and has to be computer controlled.

I'm running Bosch Motronic 7.5 with drive by wire throttle on my 1.8t. ECU has been tuned for bigger turbo, injectors, etc. My old V8 ran carbs for a while.
jb6000
ok the tdi is not a transverse?

My skill is not to the point of yours doing all that dash rewiring :-)

jb6000

And kind of a dumb noob question, when and why do you choose to use a cradle? Mine does not have one.
Is it to support the engine to trans stress or is it to stiffen the car?

Jerry
Andyrew
Jerry, read mine and Mike Bellis's build threads. They will tell you everything you need to know for a 1.8t swap.

Regarding the later model 6 speed trans there are issues there as well. Read this thread.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.p...nversion-Thread
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jb6000 @ Dec 1 2018, 03:28 PM) *

I will remove these links in a little bit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-B7-2-0-T...675.c100623.m-1

And kind of a dumb noob question, when and why do you choose to use a cradle? Mine does not have one.
Is it to support the engine to trans stress or is it to stiffen the car?

Jerry

I built a cradle because I put too many different engines into my 914. This cradle allows me to just rebuild motor mounts if I decide to swap in something else. If I remove the axles, it's 6 bolts and the whole drivetrain drops out. It's also super stiff and I'm sure it stiffened the chassis a little. I have mounts that allow me to swap my 5 or 6 speed tranny in a couple hours. Just makes it easy for me and it looks cool.

The TDI tranny is the way to go. They are built for higher torque than a standard 1.8t and they have better gearing for the light 914 chassis. 1st gear on either of my trannies is very short. I don't spend much time there. Both my 5 and 6 speeds have the same final ratio of 4:10. My 6 speed is a GETRAG and the linkage could be retrofitted on to a TDI tranny. But most likely you will have to fab something since 6 speed linkage is usually connected to a transmission and not laying around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.