Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oval German License Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
Anyone know who manufactures oval plates? Conducted an internet search but didn't find anything. I'm assuming our cars from the 70s had oval plates.
hcdmueller
Search for German tourist license plates.

I looked a little more. They're old export plates.
RolinkHaus
Autogeek used to carry them but no longer
burton73
When I picked up my Westfalia Camper in Germany in summer of 73 it had them on it.

Bob B
carl k
I have bought plates from this company before with good results:

https://www.licenseplates.tv/germany-euro-oval-te-2050.html

Click to view attachment

-Carl
SirAndy
The oval plates were *not* normal license plates, they were "Zollkennzeichen" and only used on vehicles for international transport.
They were phased out in the late '80s and replaced by normal rectangular plates with a red sticker on them to indicate the "Zollkennzeichen" status.

Regular German license plates have always been rectangular ...
shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2018, 10:11 AM) *
The oval plates were *not* normal license plates, they were "Zollkennzeichen" and only used on vehicles for international transport.
They were phased out in the late '80s and replaced by normal rectangular plates with a red sticker on them to indicate the "Zollkennzeichen" status.

Regular German license plates have always been rectangular ...
shades.gif

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kfz-Kennzeichen_(Deutschland)

smilie_flagge6.gif

Cal
QUOTE(carl k @ Dec 2 2018, 12:23 PM) *

I have bought plates from this company before with good results:

https://www.licenseplates.tv/germany-euro-oval-te-2050.html

Click to view attachment

-Carl

I've purchased several times from this company with no issues.....quick responses and shipping.

RolinkHaus
Thx for the info. Can't decide what plate to put on the front, standard euro obviously will not fit.Click to view attachment
chrisg
Get rid of the extra tits and a rectangular plate might hide all the mounting points. I’ve considered that if I actually keep the BUB’s but I can’t convince myself to keep them at this point.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Cals' advice is probably your best bet. They advertise in Sports Car Market magazine with the web address listed above and a phone number of 800.491.2068 or 954.485.0995.

My oval plate was given to me by a customer whom I arranged a European Delivery of a new VW back in the '80s when I worked for a VW/Alfa dealer. She graciously gave me the plate that her new car was delivered with when she picked it up in Germany.

Paul
RolinkHaus
Looks awesome
Scott S
I still have the original one from my first car - a 1978 mk1 golf that was brought over in 1984. I am going to pull it off the garage wall and use it on my latest project - if I ever get it done (it's seemingly easier to get parts for a 914-6 than an old rabbit... ugh).

I remember seeing grey market/imported Audis with these plates around the neighborhood back in the 80's. Being that the purpose of this build is to go back in time a bit, I figured it would be fun to bring the plate out of retirement.

hopefully the local police agree....

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.