Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mahle Wheel paint color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
struckn
I have a nice Mahle 4 lug Gas Burner spare wheel that needs a little touching up and want it to match the color of the original 4 that are on the car. The Spare wheel seems to be a shade or two slightly darker then my originals. Anyone know what the code, or color for the Mahles where when painted originally?

Tom_T
QUOTE(struckn @ Dec 2 2018, 10:48 AM) *

I have a nice Mahle 4 lug Gas Burner spare wheel that needs a little touching up and want it to match the color of the original 4 that are on the car. The Spare wheel seems to be a shade or two slightly darker then my originals. Anyone know what the code, or color for the Mahles where when painted originally?

Doug -

Look in the O&H Forum's "Wheels & Tires" nailed topic - IIRC somebody put the current days paint they used to match close to original for their Mahle resto.

The Porsche 914 Service Manual also may have the old school paint formula &/or brand(s) & color name(s) - but that may not help much in finding that paint today. Also, they would've been a single stage paint originally.

Also, Wurth makes a Silver wheel paint too, which matches some painted alloy wheels on Porsche, BMW, Audi, VW, MBZ & other 1960s-80's German cars which may be close too, which you might try a test strip.

I would not recco using Rustoleum, because I've noticed that their paints don't seem to last long & begin to shrink & crack after a few years when used on Aluminum - from some of the items which I'd restored/repainted on my other vehicles.

You'll want an automotive wheel paint, due the corrosive nature of the brake dust etc. on wheels.

In any case, whatever paint you choose, you'll want to spray up a test strip/piece to see how the various options dry color-wise - relative to what you think is an accurate original example - either on your 914 or a local member's 914 with the Mahles.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rudedude
Could it be the wheels on the car are faded and the spare is close to original color?
GrandAm
Old thread revival.

Been searching for the same thing. A silver paint code for the Mahle gas burners on a 74.

I've seen Wurth mentioned but no real answer.

Ours is a Creamsicle we've had for 17 years. The centers get Phoenix Red but I'm looking for the Silver code for under the Red.

Thanks for any help!

Jon
JeffBowlsby
Wurth silver.
Jack Standz
We have a set of gold colored 4 lug Mahle gas burner rims. They need restored. Yeah, we know these type wheels are soft and can bend, but we've had them over 40 years and have become attached to their style.

Weren't they originally anodized? Any source for the materials to get them back to the original color/material finish?
Aerostatwv
I had mine powder coated with a Porsche wheel color. Sorry, I don't recall the number. Seems it cost around $450 to do all four. I had to source another wheel as one was found to be cracked. Click to view attachment
GrandAm
Thanks Jeff.

We're using 2 in a static display. How many cans to do 6 wheels?

Jon
930cabman
My local blast and powder coat guy quoted me $125/wheel. If I can lose my CSOB for a short time I will, get them done. It sure does make a huge difference when they are completed?

Also, were they originally anodized?
Front yard mechanic
Blast and anodized 200.00 a wheel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.