Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for my first 914 from 1996...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlacaProductions
Greetings,

I’ve reached a dead-end on my search for 4732908732 - 1973 Olympic Blue 1.7

This was my first car in 1985 and I drove it until I totaled it in Atlanta in 1996.

It ended up with George Hussey at Automobile Atlanta sometime after that - according to the 914 VIN Registry - but the trail goes cold after that.

George posted it in the Registry for sale - when is not known - but the metadata in the associated picture shows as it was taken in 2005.

Last known registration information is to my father in Iowa in 1996 and it’s listed as a salvage title.

George thinks that he sold it as a fixer-upper (rather than a parts-car) but anything is possible. He’s been very helpful but it was a long time ago, in the days of paper records and he does a lot of business. He’s still looking as well but I thought I’d throw this out there. I might get lucky.

Any assistance is appreciated - I’d love to spend an inordinate amount of money to restore it…..

Respond here or you can email direct: briyoung@mac.com

Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
Good luck finding Baby Blue, when I looked at the picture, I saw it perfectly restored.........ahhh

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 3 2018, 03:00 PM) *

Greetings,

I’ve reached a dead-end on my search for 4732908732 - 1973 Olympic Blue 1.7

This was my first car in 1985 and I drove it until I totaled it in Atlanta in 1996.

It ended up with George Hussey at Automobile Atlanta sometime after that - according to the 914 VIN Registry - but the trail goes cold after that.

George posted it in the Registry for sale - when is not known - but the metadata in the associated picture shows as it was taken in 2005.

Last known registration information is to my father in Iowa in 1996 and it’s listed as a salvage title.

George thinks that he sold it as a fixer-upper (rather than a parts-car) but anything is possible. He’s been very helpful but it was a long time ago, in the days of paper records and he does a lot of business. He’s still looking as well but I thought I’d throw this out there. I might get lucky.

Any assistance is appreciated - I’d love to spend an inordinate amount of money to restore it…..

Respond here or you can email direct: briyoung@mac.com

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
Good luck with your search. It is always nice to see one of these cars returned to a previous owner. beerchug.gif
FlacaProductions
Thanks - I really think I need someone who can do some records searching of registrations (not titles) in Georgia (probably?).

I've done the VIN searches and found that my family had the last title on it but I believe it may have been sold on just a registration/bill of sale. I've talked with George about this but I'm not completely clear about how this type of sale would have worked. I know it has a salvage title in Iowa but that's where the paperwork trail stops...other than a bill of sale possibly buried in George's file cabinets.

Not busting on him at all - it's a long time ago when records were actually written down....
FlacaProductions
Still on the hunt - VIN 4732908732

Thanks!
sixnotfour
back then even sixes got parted out ,,,George is a false hope ..it got parted out ,,its hit hard ..good luck with the search..but...
campbellcj
I suggest putting a Google Alert (or similar) in place, in the event a trace shows-up on the web anytime down the line...
FlacaProductions
That's an excellent suggestion - thank you. I recently reached out to the insurance company and they actually had records still accessible. It's given me a couple of things to chase down. Again - not overly optimistic but it's something....
dlee6204
It doesn’t help you much but I remember seeing that car in George’s junkyard 10-15 years ago. We bought an early white 914 parts car and I think it was #18 in the above photo. I can try to check my photos sometime to see when we bought that white car.

Good luck!
GregAmy
A CarFax would give you any subsequent registration/inspection information.

I tried that when I was seeking my old Mk1 VW GTI but the trail went cold after it was junked on a mechanic's lien...it's gone.
Dave_Darling
CarFax doesn't deal with older VINs like the 914 has. It won't be of any help.

--DD
GregAmy
That's interesting, didn't know that. It found the VIN for my '83, but that was the "new" format 17-character.
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 6 2019, 07:10 AM) *

It doesn’t help you much but I remember seeing that car in George’s junkyard 10-15 years ago. We bought an early white 914 parts car and I think it was #18 in the above photo. I can try to check my photos sometime to see when we bought that white car.

That's great - any help you could provide would be fantastic!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.