Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand Brake Handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bbrock
Okay, here's an interesting (to me anyway) dilemma. Looks like there are two options for replacing the plastic handle on the hand brake lever: URO or Genuine Porsche. But there is a twist. Price is similar and I actually found the best price on the Genuine Porsche part. Difference is the Porsche part appears to have a slight matte finish:

IPB Image

Whereas the URO part looks glossy more like the original one:

IPB Image

I'm curious which one you all would use if trying to keep the car original. I'm leaning toward Genuine Porsche for price, OEM, and because I actually prefer the matte finish. But is this a rare case where going Genuine Porsche actually sullies originality? confused24.gif
defianty
I bought the matte one for mine and it looks good but I was a bit disappointed in it not being the same finish as the original. Had I know that URO was available at the time I may have gone for that instead.
Tom_T
IMHO most URO stuff is trash!

Go with Genuine - especially if about the same price.

Also IIRC & AFAIK they all were originally a bit matte for grip, but years of use shines them up!

Even if not as per your original, the URO will probably split - based on similar "plastic rubber" parts of theirs - sometimes on installation!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bbrock
Thanks Tom,

This is even one of those rare times when Genuine is actually the cheaper option. smile.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(defianty @ Dec 4 2018, 10:37 AM) *

I bought the matte one for mine and it looks good but I was a bit disappointed in it not being the same finish as the original. Had I know that URO was available at the time I may have gone for that instead.

Maybe matte was the original finish and they have all been shined up by years of use? Have you seen a virgin untouched original? I am sure that I have not.
Edit: What Tom said!
bbrock
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Dec 4 2018, 08:44 PM) *

Maybe matte was the original finish and they have all been shined up by years of use? Have you seen a virgin untouched original? I am sure that I have not.

Well that's the story I'm going to use now. biggrin.gif But if I'm being honest, I think the wear would probably be uneven and leave some traces of the old finish at least at the base which would get a lot less hand contact.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2018, 10:02 AM) *

Well that's the story I'm going to use now. biggrin.gif But if I'm being honest, I think the wear would probably be uneven and leave some traces of the old finish at least at the base which would get a lot less hand contact.

They were shiny from the start, not from wear.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2018, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2018, 10:02 AM) *

They were shiny from the start, not from wear.

Yep!
bbrock
Which brings us back to the philosophical question. What is more important for originality, the appearance, or the name of the manufacturer?
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 9 2018, 08:58 PM) *

Which brings us back to the philosophical question. What is more important for originality, the appearance, or the name of the manufacturer?

Whichever you like best. Or get both and switch them out from time to time. biggrin.gif
UROpartsman
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2018, 10:17 AM) *
I'm curious which one you all would use if trying to keep the car original.

If proper appearance is important, there's no question about it; our smooth handle was specifically developed to restore the original look. Naturally the current Genuine handle works fine, but the incorrect texture is obvious to anyone who knows the 911 and 914. And it's not as if Porsche is making the textured one - they're buying it from an outside manufacturer, so except for the label on the bag their handle isn't "OE" either.

PM us your shipping info bbrock and we'll send you one for your unvarnished review, and you can answer the question for future reference.
bbrock
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Jan 24 2019, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2018, 10:17 AM) *
I'm curious which one you all would use if trying to keep the car original.

If proper appearance is important, there's no question about it; our smooth handle was specifically developed to restore the original look. Naturally the current Genuine handle works fine, but the incorrect texture is obvious to anyone who knows the 911 and 914. And it's not as if Porsche is making the textured one - they're buying it from an outside manufacturer, so except for the label on the bag their handle isn't "OE" either.

PM us your shipping info bbrock and we'll send you one for your unvarnished review, and you can answer the question for future reference.

PM sent! I just installed a new "Genuine" grip on the lever last week but didn't glue it down as I'm still on the fence. This will make for a nice comparison. Looking forward to posting a review.
914runnow
I have a NOS from 1995 new in bag
yepperz shiny as the Patman sayz..
bbrock
I posted up a review of the URO vs. Porsche handles in the Garage: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=336894
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.