Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5800 RPM Limit Rotor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I have owned my 914 since new. I have over the years used both the simple and cheap rotor and as well as the expensive 5800 RPM Limit Rotor.

I don't hot rod my 914. I drive like an ole grandma. I rarely get the RPM up to 3500! I know I am boring!

I guess with my driving style, I would be wasting my money on the Limit Rotor!
mepstein
It’s actually better for your engine to rev 3-5k than below 2500. Lugging a type 4 engine is bad.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2018, 02:46 PM) *

It’s actually better for your engine to rev 3-5k than below 2500. Lugging a type 4 engine is bad.

agree.gif

... or at least between 3000-4200 or 4500 - better gas mpg, less oil use, better operating tems, less strain on the engine.

However, you can do that with gear selection - rather than speed.

My long time mechanic Hans used to have me lecture one of our Gal buddies who had a 72 1.7 because she was always babying it & loading up the plugs & everything with carbon, then bringing it back to Hans complaining that it was running rough again every few weeks! LOL

Hans says that our 914s are supposed to be DRIVEN, not babied - & he's been working on them since 1969 at Porsche & his how shops!

Sooooo .... driving.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
euro911
Save your $, just keep your eye on your tach and you'll be fine. Actually, you probably already know when to shift into the next gear. A lot of stick-shift cars didn't come with tachs, right?
mountainroads
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 4 2018, 01:43 PM) *

I have owned my 914 since new. I have over the years used both the simple and cheap rotor and as well as the expensive 5800 RPM Limit Rotor.

I don't hot rod my 914. I drive like an ole grandma. I rarely get the RPM up to 3500! I know I am boring!

I guess with my driving style, I would be wasting my money on the Limit Rotor!

My .02:
I agree with the crowd that it's better to be closer to 5K than 2K, especially under load. That said, I'll be the contrarian and suggest you invest in the rev-limiter, anyway. Cheap insurance. Think of it as wearing a belt plus suspenders. Us "ole grandmas" can't be too careful, you know. You might accidentally hit the go pedal too long one day and like the results smile.gif

- MR
Valy
It happened to me that the gas pedal got stuck down when I floored my old Alpha. That rev limiter saved the engine.
914Sixer
When your throttle cable spring binds up and holds the pedal down, let me know how that works out. You spent $3K building the engine but $30 for a rev limiter is to much?
porschetub
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 6 2018, 02:31 AM) *

When your throttle cable spring binds up and holds the pedal down, let me know how that works out. You spent $3K building the engine but $30 for a rev limiter is to much?

agree.gif ,not like rotors wear out that fast,buy one you are going to have it a while.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 5 2018, 06:31 AM) *

You spent $3K building the engine . . .

3 grand ??? blink.gif I wish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.