Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Stay Clevis Source Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I am preparing to rebuild my door stays, however the kits that are available do not seem to include the clevis pin that attaches the door stay arm to the body of the car. Anyone have some or a source? If they don't exist, what size bolt works? Seems it has to be a PERFECT fit or else you get door clacking sound on opening and closing.

Any help on this appreciated.

Ansbacher
bandjoey
914rubber.com
dr914@autoatlanta.com
they are commonly available from Porsche we buy the factory ones and park them on the shelf

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 4 2018, 03:35 PM) *

914rubber.com
Ansbacher
Thanks all. Rebuild kit AND pins ordered from 914rubber.com.

Ansbacher
Larmo63
I ordered the oversize ones from 914 Rubber, no way they would go in the keeper holes in the doorjamb.

They started to bend things so I just threw them on the pile.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 4 2018, 07:20 PM) *

I ordered the oversize ones from 914 Rubber, no way they would go in the keeper holes in the doorjamb.

Larmo,

Did you have to specify oversized pins or are ALL the 914Rubber ones oversized??

Larmo63
I'm not sure, they were the recent GB he did.

I have a low frustration level, so the doors are fine with the click.
Firstcar
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 4 2018, 07:20 PM) *

Agree with Larmo.
I think 914 Rubber pins are all oversize. Their pins fit their check straps but are too big for the stock, unworn doorjamb keeper holes. I ended up using my used stock pins with my rebuilt checks utilizing the rest of the 914 Rubber kit and now my doors click louder than before the rebuild because of the excess clearance on their aluminum strap.

Now looking for either reproduction arms with the correct pin hole size or a pair of unovaled OEM stays so I can rebuild the stays AGAIN.

Only other option would be to bore out the jamb keeper holes to match the 914 Rubber pins, but I hate to molest the car unnecessarily.

BTW the stock Porsche pin PN seems to be NLA.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 4 2018, 06:26 PM) *

I'm not sure, they were the recent GB he did.

I have a low frustration level, so the doors are fine with the click.

av-943.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(Firstcar @ Dec 4 2018, 07:28 PM) *

Agree with Larmo.
I think 914 Rubber pins are all oversize. Their pins fit their check straps but are too big for the stock, unworn doorjamb keeper holes. Because they drill the holes too large in their straps. I ended up using my used stock pins with my rebuilt checks utilizing the rest of the 914 Rubber kit and now my doors click louder than before the rebuild because of the excess clearance on their aluminum strap. Again, because the holes are too big in the 914 Rubber straps.

Now looking for either reproduction arms with the correct pin hole size or a pair of unovaled OEM stays so I can rebuild the stays AGAIN.

Only other option would be to bore out the jamb keeper holes to match the 914 Rubber pins, but I hate to molest the car unnecessarily. Not a great option, but I'm finding this is the only way to use some of their parts....either modify them or modify your car. Some of their parts just don't fit well at all.

Prorallye
Same here. Bought this kit and it worked well except for the pins. There was no way the pins would work as my door hardware was not worn out. So I had to sandblast my old pins and use those. Maybe the kit should come with original size and larger for those that need it. My original pins also had a provision for a cotter pin and the new ones did not. Not a big deal I suppose.

I would like to say that I am thankful for the vendors that are around to supply these things. I have had a few things that I got from 914rubber that I wasn't totally happy with but made work. This kit was one of them. In general I've been happy with their other products. Other vendors are the same. This applies to other vehicles I've restored in the past few years. Olds 442, Mercury Eliminator, Triumph TR6. Some things you get are great repops, some are so bad you can't use them and you ask yourself, why did they even bother!
SirAndy
@Mikey914

I know this topic has come up in the past, maybe have two sets available (original and oversized) as suggested above?
idea.gif
Ansbacher
Looks like I am screwed (or should I say "pinned") as I ordered everything from 914Rubber to fix these door stays!!! Glad they have a liberal return policy.

Ansbacher
11tenths
Thought it was just me with the pins.

Guess I'll just drop the machine screw I had there back in, no biggie. rolleyes.gif

- HB
Mikey914
Sorry I've been away for awhile. Still not back yet, but yes. We will take these back if they don't work for you. When I made these I found that the mount tabs on the car I had had wear too. I made them with the idea that both the ID and the mount could pop back and forth. As you may have noticed they are not an off the shelf item. It is possible to sand down the OD of the pins by hand, but until I have a chance to re-vist these I'm afraid it's just what we have for now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.