Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Garage Lift...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
D1A3
Looking at finally doing a 4 post lift for the garage to make more space. Does anyone know the absolute minimum dimensions needed to drop the engine? One of the lifts I was looking at measures 34 3/8" between the treads. Is that enough? If not, what is the minimum needed to drop the engine?

Would be nice to have a lift that can be used for other maintenance in addition to storage.

Lastly, what options have you looked at and ultimately gone with? Not looking for the cheapest, but definitely not looking for the most expensive either. Maybe $3K or less?
mepstein
a two post is a whole lot easier if you want to work on your car.
jcd914
Ok, I was spoiled by working in fully equipped shops for 20 years but I also got to use different lifts.

4 post lifts are a pain to work on for most jobs.
2 post lift are great for everything thing except trying to working on the doors or interior.
The old in-ground single post lifts were my favorite until I was doing exhaust work or something like a 944 clutch.

If I was looking for a lift for home, I would be looking at 2 post lifts.

Jim
76-914
If your vertically limited Costco just had the MaxxJax on sale. beerchug.gif
D1A3
Hi folks,

I'm familiar with the benefits of 2 post vs 4 post. The primary purpose of the lift will be for storage. a 2 post lift would put too much stress on the suspension if left raised. I have more cars than I can drive at a time and limited space.

The questions was more aligned with if it is possible to drop the engine with a 4 post lift. It seems it would be if there was enough space between the treads. Does anyone know how much space is required to drop the engine? Would 34 3/8" be sufficient?

Thanks,
Jason
dcheek
Unless you don't have the ceiling height (min 10 feet) don't buy the MaxxJax. For a little more money you can't get this:

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000

I've had mine for 5 years and it works great. It's the real deal in terms of quality and safety.Click to view attachment

Took 2 1/2 hours to install myself with a couple of friends. I only had to hire an electrician to wire in 220.

Dave
davehg
I have a Bendpak 4 post, primarily does triple duty as a truck lift, car lift, and storage. It has two rolling jacks and a rolling oil change collector. Love the lift, especially as I had six inch concrete base and needed more to support a two post lift.

A four poster is not as bad as folks make out but for service only for your 914, I’d pick a two post. 4 post was necessary as my truck weighs 8000 lbs, with 4700 of that over the front axle.
rcarson25
I have a 4 post lift that I use for storage and auto servicing outside of tire rotation I haven’t really run into too many problems. I fully restored 2 cars, parted out 7 and performed pretty much everything in between. The option that has allowed me to do this would be a channel jack that sits between the rails and can get the front 2 or rear 2 wheels off the ground. Very few times have I needed to have all four wheels off at the same time.

I am not sure on the minimum requirement but I know that I have swapped in a 914 motor on my lift using my tool cart and the lift. Worked beautifully and I will be doing it again soon. I have the Titan 4 post lift with hydraulic channel jack and have had one for 5 years, on my second one because I moved cross country and my buddy ended up with my old lift and still uses it today with no issues.

For those who say 2 post is way easier I would like to ask how? Again, outside of tire rotation I haven’t really had an issue.

Best investment in my shop by far and has saved me tons of time and back pain. I will see about getting measurements in between the rails. I have to travel this weekend so if you don’t hear back on the measurements Monday shoot me a PM to remind me.

JmuRiz
Bendpak HD9 (standard width) has a move-able side that you can widen to juuuuust fit the /4 engine bar between the rails. I just ordered 2 bridge jacks so I can easily do suspension/wheel/brake work.

Should be fun, and as anyone on here knows, mine is 99% used as a storage lift...but now can be a full service lift too
dan10101
I really like my 2 post. Even with a 9’ ceiling, I can roll around on chairs and easily do everything I need.

Click to view attachment

ledfoot
The MaxJax is definitely a good option with low ceiling height. Two post lift gives easy access for engine removal.I’m able to fit two teeners when needed for storage.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
D1A3
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 6 2018, 03:55 PM) *

Bendpak HD9 (standard width) has a move-able side that you can widen to juuuuust fit the /4 engine bar between the rails. I just ordered 2 bridge jacks so I can easily do suspension/wheel/brake work.

Should be fun, and as anyone on here knows, mine is 99% used as a storage lift...but now can be a full service lift too

So the BendPak HD9 (https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-post-lifts/hd-9/) has a 37.5" width between the treads. Is this the minimum then that you must have to get the engine through? Can anyone take an actual measurement of the engine bar or width of the engine?

Again, will be using for 99% storage so this is for a once in a while if needed situation where I want to drop the engine.

Thanks!
jcd914
QUOTE(D1A3 @ Dec 7 2018, 05:58 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 6 2018, 03:55 PM) *

So the BendPak HD9 (https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-post-lifts/hd-9/) has a 37.5" width between the treads. Is this the minimum then that you must have to get the engine through? Can anyone take an actual measurement of the engine bar or width of the engine?

Again, will be using for 99% storage so this is for a once in a while if needed situation where I want to drop the engine.

Thanks!

Engine sheetmetal is 38 inches wide and the engine bar is about 43 inches.
eric914
i have a HD 9XW Bendpax lift with a sliding scissor lift. It makes it real easy to lift either end of the car to work on it. The span between the rails is 37.5". When i dropped the 4cyl motor I had to remove the engine support bar to drop the motor. I have not attempted lifting the 6cyl into the car so i don't know if there is clearance for it.

You can just see the scissor lift in the photo of the Jeep. We were welding in new frame rails on the Jeep as the drivers side trailing arm had torn free due to rust.
Amphicar770
I have a 4 post with two sets of rolling Jacks. I do like it but when I dropped the teener engine it was a PIA. The biggest challenge was that it does not fit between the two runners. Took some maneuvering with a lift table and floor Jack's. A two post would have been easy peasy.
JmuRiz
FYI: on the HD-9 the rails widen:

Width Between Runways: 37.5" (953 mm) or 44.375" (1,127 mm)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.