Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Hinges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
With all the mileage on Betty's car, we have found that the hinges on the driver's door are squeaking really badly from wear. Does anyone have experiencing taking the pins out of the hinges so they can be re-bushed?

This is really irritating her every time she opens the door on her car. She says it makes the car sound old. sad.gif
mepstein
They come apart easily once you remove the C clips. I would just find a replacement. It's usually just the driver door since it gets used so much more.
Rand
Lube?
sixnotfour
C clips . ?? mine doesnt have em,,,the factory door pin slde hammer is the best tool ever for this ...special offset slides over pin head..

https://www.aasesales.com/products/noloc-b52-189i-116012
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 6 2018, 06:14 PM) *

C clips . ?? mine doesnt have em,,,the factory door pin slde hammer is the best tool ever for this ...special offset slides over pin head..

https://www.aasesales.com/products/noloc-b52-189i-116012

Sorry, I was thinking the door stop mech.
IronHillRestorations
There's a special washer between the two hinge sections, it's very thin and without it the door can squeek and have some up/down slop on the latch side of the door. I'll bet the one in Betty's car is gone.
ClayPerrine
Thanks everyone. I would never have known about the tool without this forum.

I have a door up in the attic that is an accident victim I am going to bring down and figure out how to take the hinge apart. Then I will use the parts to repair hers.

Also thinking about buying the tool. One can never have enough tools.
davesprinkle
My driver's door had the same squeaking problem. I was able to resolve it by lubricating the joints with lightweight mineral oil. I used Tri-Flow from my bicycle shop, but anything similar would work: sewing machine oil, 3-in-1 oil, gun oil, whatever. I applied the oil to the each of the segments in the hinge, worked, the door open and closed a few times, then drank a couple of beers. Did that four times. No more squeaks.
Larmo63
"I applied the oil to the each of the segments in the hinge, worked, the door open and closed a few times, then drank a couple of beers. Did that four times. No more squeaks."

So, did you drink eight beers?

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 7 2018, 09:31 PM) *

"I applied the oil to the each of the segments in the hinge, worked, the door open and closed a few times, then drank a couple of beers. Did that four times. No more squeaks."

So, did you drink eight beers?

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Uh, yeah. You got a problem with that?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 7 2018, 05:46 AM) *

I have a door up in the attic that is an accident victim I am going to bring down and figure out how to take the hinge apart. Then I will use the parts to repair hers.

Show us some pics when you get started; gotta be some new info here.... smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 8 2018, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 7 2018, 05:46 AM) *

Show us some pics when you get started; gotta be some new info here.... smile.gif

I sent some hinge parts to a member here. the pin dropped out pretty easily with a punch and hammer. I was ready to use some heat but didn't need it.
colingreene
The slide hammer is essential for pulling the pins on the car.
I had to put new bushings in my 911 i bought because the door sagged.
Pelican parts sells them but not the hammer.
If you were local id say come by and use the one I made.
aharder
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 7 2018, 07:46 AM) *

One can never have enough tools.

agree.gif
sixnotfour
I was lucky,,a shop selling out did not know what is was for..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.