Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fenders, Fenders, Fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pastordavid
OK, here is the new guy with a problem. I finally talked my father -in-law out of his 72 914 that has sat behind his house for the past 20 years, waitng for him to "fix it up." The good news is that the price was right (free) and he even delivered it! The bad news is...well, you can see the bad news. In 83, he had it sold, and the night before the guy was supposed to pick it up some kids broke into it and rolled it down the hill in front of his house into a brick wall. So now the question - any sources for fenders out there? Any suggestions for mods? Thanks!

David wub.gif
SirAndy
the usual places first ...

EASY, HPH and Parts Heaven

or maybe one of the members here can help you out ...
smash.gif Andy

PS: welcome to the club! smilie_pokal.gif
jimkelly
I'm curious - post some more pic when you got them.

May be buy a parts car

www.thesamba.com

www.ebay.com

as it looks like you'll need more than just a fender.

Jim
Allan
Drive to California. I'll give you whatever you can cut off.
McMark
That's a serious project. You need a fender and an inner wheelwell and a headlight bucket. That whole corner of the car.
Jeroen
keep an eye out on members sawzalling their "junkers" here
that would be the easiest/cheapest way to get a new corner for your project
Jakester
I recently went through a similar path that is ahead of you.

Check out my initial thread.

You definately need to be handy with a cutting torch or sawzall and have the ability to do some intricate body work and welding.

Previous post is right - that is a serious project. You only learn by doing, however, so.... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif ............ clap.gif

Good luck!
Mueller
have you pulled the carpet and inspected the floors??

what about the section below the battery and behind the rocker panels??

from the looks of the rust on that section, I'm willing to bet you have a rusty chassis that is not worth fixing up....I could be wrong and hope I am, but you should be worried about the structual strength of the rest of the car first.....

pastordavid
Jakester, thanks for pointing me to your thread. I have been tearing things apart in prep for a ground up overhaul, and was really getting discouraged, but after looking at what you have accomplished, I have a whole lot better outlook. Now if I could just figure out how to get those seats out...

David headbang.gif
pastordavid
Mueller,
Yes, the first thing I did was pull the carpets (LOTS of mold there!) and surpisingly the floors, longs, and general area was fine. I did the "Fat Dave" test as well, and no flex. The battery tray is rusty, but not rusted. The worst rust (other than the crunched front end) is the tail light area, the door handles (extterior) on the rear quarter section, and the aprons along the sides under the doors. Otherwise, I think it is pretty good. I'll know more when I get the rest of the "stuff" out of the way. I am heading out on vacation on Friday, hoping to have everything pulled but the drivetrain, which will have to wait until I get back.

Luckily, I worked for 15 years as a mechanic, before going into the ministry, and my son-in-law is a body man, and my best friend is a custom metal fabricator. Now what about those fender flares from John...

I'll post a few more pics later.

Blessings to all,
David smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving.gif ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.