Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Jetsetsurfshop
How in the hell do you check your oil level with a set-up like this? Or even with the factory -6 set-up?
yeahmag
Way less critical than a wet sump motor. I run mine about 2/3-3/4 full with the engine warm and idling.
stownsen914
Yup, what he said. Just open the cap and look down inside.
naro914
We created a small dipstick that I would stick down in to measure.
Factory style (PMS) oil tanks have a dipstick that fits inside the cap just like a normal oil tank.
Dry sump systems need to be measured hot, while running, and on a level surface. you CAN overfill it....and its not pretty...
Jetsetsurfshop
Checking the tank level is what i figured.
Thanks for helping this old guy beer.gif
GregAmy
If it help any, I'm using this tank in my racer:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-23-110r

It has a "shelf" as a baffle toward the top and I got tired of opening the tank and not really being able to see down inside, just guessing. I had Chris weld in a bung so that I could use a stock Type 4 dipstick on the top without having to remove the cover.

An alternative, preferred idea would be to fabricate a clear sight tube on the side of the tank so you could see it in real time.
buz914
I use a wood dowel and mark it with a sharpie where you like it.

Also I like to run a heat strip on the tank to plug it in when the temps get a little low at the track, takes a lot less time to warm all that oil up and less risk of spiking the oil pressure on cold start/warm up.
yeahmag
Click to view attachment
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(buz914 @ Dec 13 2018, 07:04 PM) *

I use a wood dowel and mark it with a sharpie where you like it.

Also I like to run a heat strip on the tank to plug it in when the temps get a little low at the track, takes a lot less time to warm all that oil up and less risk of spiking the oil pressure on cold start/warm up.

I've heard of heating the oil pre start before. Do you do this on every startup? Just morning?? Is there an outside temp where you think its not necessary? I live in south Florida, wonder if i need it?
yeahmag
On mine (the orange panel on the bottom) I tend to only do it on cold starts below about 60F. It really helps get the oil pressure down to a passable level before I hit the freeway on a cool CA morning. I'd say not necessary, but nice to have.

Now I need to figure out how to run it at an event! The fall and winter events here cool the oil down below 100F between sessions and the temp will not move just idling in the paddock. Going from 0 - 7000+ RPM for 55 seconds may not be the best thing for cool oil... I've considered bringing an inverter and running it off my battery or a support cars battery.
naro914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 14 2018, 11:45 AM) *

I've heard of heating the oil pre start before. Do you do this on every startup? Just morning?? Is there an outside temp where you think its not necessary? I live in south Florida, wonder if i need it?

We use our heater every time morning, though we have power in our trailer so it’s easier. Plug it in when we get to the track, unplug before our first run and good for the day. Engine needs to be up to temp before we stress it under load, so this is the quickest way to get a head start on it...saves fuel from not having to sit as long idling to warm up.
You can barely see it around the middle/bottom of the tank.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.