Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - USGP fiasco, what a bummer!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carreraguy
I for one am very glad I did not go to this year's F1 USGP at Indy (I was considering it)! Sixteen cars sat it out becusee their Michelin tires were not up to the rigors of the course and FIA would not allow a chicane to be placed at the moderately banked Turn 13 (turn 1 on the oval) that was causing the excessive G loads and destroying the left rear Michelins!! Lets see, if only the six Bridgestone-set up cars were running and two of them were Ferraris driven by Schumacher and Barrichello and the other drivers were habitual backmarkers - who would win? This is a real black eye for FIA! I would be really be pissed if I was there as a spectator and would definitely demand my money back considering that the problem was not known to them until after the first lap! Can you imagine how you would feel after paying mucho $$$ to attend the race from who knows where and see sixteen of the 24 cars pull in to the garage after the first lap? I will be very curious how Tony George and the FIA handle this! I bet CHAMP and IRL are really eating this up; just another nail in the efforts to get more F1 support in the US!
Lou W
They're talkiing about it right now on Wind Tunnel
J P Stein
Looks like "the spin" works on some. I agree totaly with Peter Winsor.
carreraguy
Yep, Windsor made some good points.

The bottom line remains that the fans got screwed; if George refunds all admissions its likely going to negatively affect his nogotiations with FIA for future races. After the race it was significant that Tony did not even come out to congratulate the "winners". IMHO its unlikely you will see F1 at Indy next year; I for one would love to see them back at the US version of Monte Carlo - LONG BEACH!
F1rocco
Havent watched the special,,, just the race.....Who cares racing is racing.....Michelen should be terminated......Its not like they cant race.....Just like in Nascar your car gets bangged up and you wont get any points you still race...Come on like there wasnt a hint after the Indy 500 that the track was different.....But thats just politics in F1 and hey thats the one other thing I like about it...300K people paying about $100 on Sunday and Michelen wont race.....Bad Bad bad...And what about the Debut of Scott Speed in the USGP...All that money and time spent ramping that up.....Me Im not mad just think team owners should have said screw it and decided to do what ya want...But if someone got hurt the team owners would be in the crap......Punks...Bad that people are shooting things but have you ever drank one of those big Fosters.....Ive been there and most people seem to be from Argentia...Probably there yearly vactaion schedule.......FIA made the right decision.....Race what ya brang or hang it up,,,,....All of this will be fixed in a couple weeks anyways I bet.......................
Pnambic
That's gotta be one of the craziest run-on sentences I've seen in a real long time. wink.gif rolleyes.gif

Shame on Michelin for not providing adequate materials (tires).

Shame on FIA for not allowing a change of tire for the teams that were running Michelins.

But I place 70% of the blame on Ferrari for being asses. All of the other teams, ALL OF THEM RUNNING MICHELINS AND NOT, agreed to run the race with a chicane for no points since it wouldn't have been sanctioned. (The FIA would not sanction it since they didn't have time to test it...a reasonable stance.) All teams except Ferrari. finger.gif bootyshake.gif bs.gif flipa.gif

The talk here in Indy is that Tony George (owner of the Indy Speedway) is furious with the fiasco. This may put the future of F1 in the US in serious jeopardy.

People payed hundreds of dollars, in some instances $1000's of dollars traveling from other continents to see a race. They weren't given a race. They were given a farce. That's like going all the way out to the WCC and all you find is a a half dozen ricers in Honda Civics waiting for ya. icon8.gif

The fans are the big losers here. This is a bunch of stromberg.gif
spare time toys
Looking at the FIA 2008 proposed rules. One tire manufaturer, wider lower profile tires and a slick not groved tread, back to a shift lever and a manualy operated clutch, they sell the gears and trans to teams, telemetry from car only, engine controll that is non tuneable, less down force, it goes on and on
dinomium
Hey, nobody from Michelin said "awe poor Bridgestone users cant compete on the slower tracks, lets TAKE OUT a chicain for them"
The bottom line is that ALL THE BLAME should fall on Michelin for bad engineering! This is not the first time the weaker sidewall construction has come under fire. Granted, Firestone owns Bridgestone so they have some better data on the banking, but still!
The rules this year were aimed squarelly at killing the Ferrari domination of F1. So anybody that is say this is Ferrari being babys, finger.gif

He who wins by the regulations, dies by the regulations! Can you say Barge Boards?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.