Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
I've tried to hook up the horn to no avail. Brand new horn. Circuit now has power so the wipers and Blower work again. I've got the following parts, see pics. What am I missing ?? Bought the new horn button from AA after looking at the PET. The rest came with the car.

Looking at the wiring diagram the horn circuit at the wheel should just provide the grounding path. Not sure how that is done. IF the horn button goes thru the hole in the wheel I don't see what it grounds to.....and then there's this wire on the circular wiper hub ring. Looks like it should connect to the Horn Bowtie at the side.

Has anyone a diagram that would visualize this circuit mechanically.

My car has been assembled from many different year parts sources. All works now except for the horn.

As the Roadrunner says Beep Beep. Need to hear it as the local State Trooper has asked me to do.

Tried to save the Steering column pic but it keeps wanting to rotate it back 90 degrees. Sorry, but you get the picture I hope

Thanks all

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=678
429]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=678431]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
do not use the horn stalk, just the rubbing block wire and small male spade on the back of the horn butterfly, then all it is is the horn relay on the back of the fuse block. If you ground the copper feeler to the center shaft with the key on, the horn should beep, try that first since the steering wheel is off, and if that works you can proceed with the steering wheel portion.
Mike Fitton
You are missing the plastic cover that the cancel ring attaches to with 3 screws, wire fromt the cancel ring goes through the housing and connects to the male spade on the back of the horn pad. No need for the contact pin.
Dave_Darling
It looks like you have a 74+ car from the tach pic?

If so, you do not want the cylindrical "horn contact". The horn wire goes straight onto the contact ring on the back side of the horn button part. You can see the male spade in the lower-right of your first pic.

The general concept is that you push on the button, and the button then touches the upper part of the steering column, which connects the ring on the back of the button to a ground, grounding the wire that plugs in there.

That in turn grounds one of the switching contacts of the horn relay, and that switches the relay on and sends power to the horn--BEEEEEP!

The rubber plunger thing on the back of the horn button serves not only as a spring to push the horn button away from the top of the steering column, but also as an electrical isolator so that the button is not always touching the top of the column.

There are some plastic isolators that help mount the metal bits to the back side of the horn button. IIRC, they serve to keep the metal part with the three lugs sticking out of it from being electrically connected with the contact ring on the back of the horn pad? It's been a while so my memory is foggy.

The most "fun" part for me was running the wire and plugging it into the contact ring, making sure it didn't get pinched anywhere...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.