Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: injector trouble?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boiledcabbage
Newbie just replaced a prehistoric rubber fuel hose on 74 1.8 - now engine runs intermittently rough - anyone have a suggestion? air? crud?

If it is a clogged injector - are these typically 'cleanable'?How? Any advice much appreciated
mihai914
You probably knocked a vacuum line loose on the engine, make sure all vacuum hoses are connected and sealed.

There is also those rubber rings at the tip of the injector, did you replace those. The 1.8 with original injection is very sensitive to vacuum leaks.

As for cleaning the injectors, the best way is to have them ultrasonicly (sp?) cleaned, soaking them in injector cleaner may help a little bit.
root
bc,
I have had alot of success pulling stock injectors out and cleaning them.
I use diluted alcohol in an ultrasonic cleaner. I leave them in for 5-10 minutes.
Take them out and rinse them in a separate bottle of alcohol. This has worked fine for me. Wait a bit and I'm sure your thread will find other opinions. biggrin.gif

Be careful with alcohol and ultrasonic cleaners proper ventilation is a must, the vapors can be explosive and very dangerous. The correct usage requires a special ultrasonic tank. I have setup mine for venting and shutdown when temperature bigins to creep. If the cleaning run is short temperature is not an issue.

root
mihai914
hijacked.gif

Sorry for the hijack.

Root,

I did mine in an ultrasonic cleaner with injector cleaner (mineral spirits) it was in a indirect bath ( i.e. water in the ultrasonic cleaner and another container inside the water with the injectors and solution). Did you compare alcohol to anything else, was there a specific reason to use the alcohol? Any more tips?
root
mihai914,

I'm not a chemist, that's one of my biggest weakness's...should have
paid attention in chemistry class I guess. Mineral spirits tend to be used for dissolving or dilution of paints I think. I hate the smell of it. Probably would perform good though for removing dead gas that has varnished itself to the injector walls.

With alcohol (rubbing alcohol 70-90 percent) is safe in other words won't react with materials used in the injector. Just looking to break up micro particulate that might be on the small screen in the injector inlet and around the nozzle valve area. I guess the key is ultrasound.

beerchug.gif
root
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.