Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bullet
I went a ride today in the 914, and as I was driving i noticed that I have 1/2 inch up and down play in the steering wheel. Is this normal for 914's, if not what would the fix for this be?
Brando
check the bolts under the bottom dash piece to see if they're in all the way. That'll allow the steering wheel/column to move up and down. Loctite them too.

Or the bearing inside your steering column piece that all the switches on the tree go into is bad. Mine's bad but it doesn't have ½" of play.
tod914
Most likely the steering wheel bushing. Make sure you replace it with the metal one not the plastic one. There is also a sleeve you can use to take up any extra slack/play. Think Performance Products has them. If you pull off the wheel you can see it. looks like an O-ring with bearins around it.
SirAndy
agree.gif with all of the above.

check the 4 bolts that hold the rack to the body first. they *do* rattle lose sometimes ...
if that checks out OK, take off the steering wheel and check the play of the shaft in the bearing. if the play is between the shaft and the bearing, get the tapered metal "sleeve" that goes over the shaft. it'll tighten things up nicely ...

wink.gif Andy
TravisNeff
There is 4 large allen bolts which hold a plate attached to the steering wheel bearing carrier. Those loose just a little will give you lots of play. Start there, and then investigate bushings/bearings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.