Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted: Pics of front mounted oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
Since I have a hole in the front trunk where the A/C condenser is I was wondering were the hole in the trunk is tha facilitates the neg pressure for the oil cooler.
Maybe I wont have to patch the whole thing.

Show me whatchagot!
Steve
I used the pictures from the following link.
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jonlowe/MyGT0005.html
I bought my GT shroud and air deflector from Getty design.

Good luck,

Steve
SirAndy
i'm still not sold on that design ...
you're pushing a lot of air UNDER your car, which is the last place where you actually want that air.

i've seen a few 914 racers that have the air exit through the hood,
effectively adding more downforce to the nose ...

later,
Andy
SirAndy
this one's not very pretty, but it gives you an idea ...

IPB Image
echocanyons
Andy,
I hadnt thought of doing it that way. How big would the hole have to be?
seanery
Kelly,

that is one of the smaller holes that I have seen. All the others I have seen look to be 3-4 inches wider.
SirAndy
yes, most of them are wider than the one in the previous pic.
the size should be at least the same (square inch) as the hole for the oil cooler, probably a bit bigger, cause hot air expands.

for a street car, i have played with the idea of replicating the ferrari 328 look, a friend of mine has one, so i have a "model" to work off ...
for a race car, it doesn't really matter, i guess.
Brad Roberts
Not wise on a street car. It dumps the hot air straight into the passenger compartment when the top is off and your doing your daily driving.

I agree it dumps air under the car and it could create a slight "lift" situation..but any newer air dam has a splitter in it that counters this effect.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 15 2003, 08:45 AM)
It dumps the hot air straight into the passenger compartment when the top is off and your doing your daily driving.

for those who like it HOT laugh.gif
john rogers
The cooler on my race car exits underneath and so far I have seen no problems with the air flow. The front spoiler seems to create a pretty good negative pressure area behind it and the air from the cooler and brake ducts exits well. You have to be careful with too much front downforce since the car can become very unbalanced since there is nothing in the rear to help push down. Most front trunk cooler exhaust cars I have seen also run a rear wing to balance things. Good luck
Pnambic
Another example of the hood air vents. Not quite as classy as the Ferrari though. With the angle of the vents, it looks like they're trying to direct the air to the sides of the windshield, but as Brad mentioned, you still have hot air coming in from the side windows.

I wonder if it helps keep the bugs off the windshield... confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.