Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA Club Race 2018 Summit Point - Vintage Class
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
MikeSpraggi
This video took a while to get out there, but this is Spint Race 2 on Saturday, September 22, 2018, during the PCA Club Race event at Summit Point. Not much to say, the video speaks for itself, I think. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/esVY2Z0_r_4

mlindner
I have to say Mike....That is the best video I've seen in a long time...Great driving, I could feel you reach red-line, nailed the down shifts and apex's. Your car turns in so nicely, thank you for sharing. Best, Mark
wndsrfr
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 15 2018, 04:00 AM) *

I have to say Mike....That is the best video I've seen in a long time...Great driving, I could feel you reach red-line, nailed the down shifts and apex's. Your car turns in so nicely, thank you for sharing. Best, Mark

agree.gif Really great to re-visit the vintage race...nice editing, love the comments!
John
wes
With both the above,very well done. agree.gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 15 2018, 06:07 AM) *

agree.gif Really great to re-visit the vintage race...nice editing, love the comments!
John

biggrin.gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 15 2018, 06:07 AM) *

John

John, thanks.

The editing took some time. Choosing which frames were worthy of inclusion, trying to matche the engine revs when transitioning from front to rear and back to front views was really time consuming. Also, the edit of the two cars passing in close succession between turns 2 and 3 towards the end was a challenge for me. Learning this as I go along.

Thanks again for the encouraging comment!
naro914
Very nice Mike! Sorry I couldn’t make it this year but I’m planning on 2019.
You certainly out brake most others. What you lack in HP you certainly make up in driving skill. Nicely done!
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 23 2018, 01:31 AM) *

Very nice Mike! Sorry I couldn’t make it this year but I’m planning on 2019.
You certainly out brake most others. What you lack in HP you certainly make up in driving skill. Nicely done!

Thanks Bob. You were sorely missed! Dave Coleman and Billy really do a great job with my car and especailly the braking, giving me the confidence to do what they tell me the car is capable of doing. Last off season, I investigated going to a larger/more powerful engine, but the other components that would need to be, ahem...."attended to", if done correctly, made me reconsider, so as far as PCA Club Vintage, I'll stay with the pretty much stock 2.4L and in the VU class. That same combination in VRG puts me below the max displacement for my class, but that's ok, 'cause the racing is good and competitive.
brant
great video!
great editing too... a lot of time... whew...
John
Thank you for an awesome video. It brings back so many memories from so long ago. This is the track that I first drove on back in 1987-1988. At the time I was a member of Potomac Region PCA just doing DE's. The track somehow looks smaller now. It's been 30+ years since I lived in Winchester VA. (just a short drive to the track) I understand that Summit Point is now several circuits, but I remember driving and taking turns flagging at corner stations so that we could man each station so we could drive on the track. I remember walking across the track at the last turn and being able to "ice skate" across the track because the racing surface was so worn or so full of rubber. I hope to get back there some day. I live in Indiana now and have done DE's with many other regions. When Club Racing was just getting started, we tried a couple of "races", but we became dismayed since the rules at the time were not followed and that our modified 914-6 was placed in a class where it never belonged. I did have a license, but it was many moons ago and I simply continued instructing in HPDE.

Thanks again for the video. I wish I could go out and play with several 914's on-track, but as it is, 914's seem to continue to be a dwindling group on track (at least as far as I can participate when the job and family and scouting continue getting in the way).

RolinkHaus
Great video. What 2.4 do you have? 2.4 cis or carbs? What are the specs?

I got an engine with my 914 purchase. Hope to have it rebuilt with some modifications w00t.gif

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(John @ Jan 17 2019, 10:13 PM) *

Thank you for an awesome video. It brings back so many memories from so long ago. This is the track that I first drove on back in 1987-1988. At the time I was a member of Potomac Region PCA just doing DE's. The track somehow looks smaller now. It's been 30+ years since I lived in Winchester VA. (just a short drive to the track) I understand that Summit Point is now several circuits, but I remember driving and taking turns flagging at corner stations so that we could man each station so we could drive on the track. I remember walking across the track at the last turn and being able to "ice skate" across the track because the racing surface was so worn or so full of rubber. I hope to get back there some day. I live in Indiana now and have done DE's with many other regions. When Club Racing was just getting started, we tried a couple of "races", but we became dismayed since the rules at the time were not followed and that our modified 914-6 was placed in a class where it never belonged. I did have a license, but it was many moons ago and I simply continued instructing in HPDE.

Thanks again for the video. I wish I could go out and play with several 914's on-track, but as it is, 914's seem to continue to be a dwindling group on track (at least as far as I can participate when the job and family and scouting continue getting in the way).

914s dwindling? Maybe in some areas, but I've actually seen somewhat of an uptick at many of the events I've gone to. Jefferson 500 at Summit Point almost has enough 914s for an all 914 race! These are almost 50 year old race cars still hitting the pavement hard. Quite a credit to the disposable Porsche....affectionately known as "NARP". biggrin.gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Jan 18 2019, 06:15 AM) *

Great video. What 2.4 do you have? 2.4 cis or carbs? What are the specs?

I got an engine with my 914 purchase. Hope to have it rebuilt with some modifications w00t.gif

Click to view attachment

Pretty much stock a 2.4 six. Weber 40mm carbs, GE40 cam, 10.3:1 CR, that's about it. Standard 4 cylinder gearing in the tranny,...well, 4th gear is not as tall now, but not by much. Weight is 2060 lbs without driver and about 1/2 tank of fuel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.