Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: strut tower brace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaeferfreund
Hello everybody!

I just saw an interesting special in an ad recently. It is obviously a strut tower brace in the rear trunk.

Click to view attachment

So I would like to ask some questions to the tuning experts or fast teener's friends in 914 world:

Any experiences with this STB?
What are the disadvantages?
(Only using the shock towers screws for the installation or is there something you have to weld or drill additionally?)
Can you still put the roff in the rear trunk?
Who is the producer or who offers or offered this accessory part? (Elephant Racing, PM, Weltmeister...)?

Thanks in advance!
mepstein
looks like a lot of overkill.
rgalla9146
Stable Energies, Garfield, NJ
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the only reason you would need it is for hard racing with a flared car with wide wheels and tires that are very sticky

QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Dec 17 2018, 06:10 AM) *

Hello everybody!

I just saw an interesting special in an ad recently. It is obviously a strut tower brace in the rear trunk.

Click to view attachment

So I would like to ask some questions to the tuning experts or fast teener's friends in 914 world:

Any experiences with this STB?
What are the disadvantages?
(Only using the shock towers screws for the installation or is there something you have to weld or drill additionally?)
Can you still put the roff in the rear trunk?
Who is the producer or who offers or offered this accessory part? (Elephant Racing, PM, Weltmeister...)?

Thanks in advance!
brant
not needed...

much better to brace your suspension console

the tops of the struts do not move or carry the lateral load
the suspension console does carry the lateral load, and do move.... rip out

there is no benefit to this brace in my book
all it does is add weight
Mark Henry
I can't find this on the SE site, would like to know what it's worth.

I have one on a car I acquired, if you wanted it I'd likely do half price.

Edit, yes the top still fits, but you lose the jack storage location. No drilling the bottom tightens by expanding/adjustment.
Racer
Had one in the '76 I bought. Overkill.. Those rear towers don't move unless you have significant power/wheels/flares.. and if you have that, you will have a cage and tube everything together.

It was pretty "heavy" too.. no, I never weighed mine, but its real steel.

If I were to guess, about $250-300 when new.

You only loose jack storage location if a "late" car wink.gif

These guys still sell the 911 version for pre 964 cars.. and they were beneficial http://www.stableenergies.com/Camber-Truss...ctinfo/CT930AL/

Maybe they have a few in a box in the attic for the 914. Worth a call if genuinely interested.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 17 2018, 06:20 AM) *
the only reason you would need it is for hard racing with a flared car with wide wheels and tires that are very sticky

And even then it's probably useless. The stock firewall is plenty strong between those towers.

Now, if you *welded* in a X brace connecting the shock towers to the rear transmission mounting points, *that* would be useful.

smash.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 17 2018, 10:34 AM) *

not needed...

^this
yeahmag
I'd like to build a bolt in of this. I need the space to carry all my crap to the race, then "bolt in" the X brace.
Kaeferfreund
OK, thanks guys for all your replies and opinions!

Seems to be an accessory part which is nor really needed.
Larmo63
I have one of these set-ups.

They are super heavy, actually too heavy. I have used just the top bar on the shock towers before.

I'd sell the whole thing if anybody is interested.......
porschetub
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 18 2018, 07:36 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 17 2018, 10:34 AM) *

not needed...

^this

agree.gif ,spend money elsewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.