Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stage 1 Clutch Kit - Pedal HEAVY!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I've never had a Stage 1 clutch in a Type 4. The KEP Stage 1 (modified Sachs) feels really heavy on the pedal. I'm OK with it as long as nothing is wrong. Anybody had the same?

I imagine if this is "normal", I should switch to a Delrin pulley...
SirAndy
Are you sure the throw is adjusted properly?

I had KEP Stage I, II and III clutches and i currently run a special made one-off KEP clutch on my 3.6L and while they do feel a bit firmer, i never had any of them feel heavy.

Once adjusted properly, you should feel a very distinct point where the clutch disengages and once past that point, the pedal should move freely without much force needed to hold it.
idea.gif
yeahmag
It's adjusted a bit low at this point. I don't get that "over center" feel I had in the other Sachs kit, so maybe I'm not fully utilizing some magic leverage point(s)...???
yeahmag
Adjusting it to the correct range definitely helped. Still heavy, but not as bad.

Think I need to adjust my pedal stop some now (for shorter throw).
SirAndy
@yeahmag

Did you ever get this to work well?
idea.gif
yeahmag
Changed the clutch cable from a Terry to a Cofle and it’s much better. There was something wrong with that Terry cable...
'73-914kid
Terry cables do not have the plastic sheaths in the tunnel that the OEM style cables have. Braided cable on the steel tube causes a lot of drag.
jkb944t
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Apr 15 2019, 11:37 AM) *

Terry cables do not have the plastic sheaths in the tunnel that the OEM style cables have. Braided cable on the steel tube causes a lot of drag.

Is there an easy way to tell which type of cable that you have?

Jeff B
yeahmag
It would probably be tough if it's in the car already. The cable is thinner on a stock one, but without a reference, it would be hard to gauge. The sheath that is a dead giveaway is hidden in the tunnel.
jcd914
Some cables have the brand on the black cable housing between the firewall and transmission.
Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.