Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions on Rocker Assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
These are pretty straightforward questions, but I've seen conflicting info, and conflicting pictures, on the interweb, so I'd like to know the answer once and for all, as my searching this forum (and in general) hasn't given me the level of confidence I would like.

1. Which way does the rocker pedestal go? Chamfered side down (against head) or out (away from engine)? I've read down against the head, but seen contradictory info, including, I believe, in Wilson's book. Which one goes down against head, pic A or pic B?

Pic A
Click to view attachment

Pic B
Click to view attachment

Next stupid question:

2. In the pics below, which way should the rocker shaft be oriented? Somewhat ovaled/beveled opening down against the head or the other direction? I believe pic A goes DOWN against the head, but please confirm:

Pic A
Click to view attachment

Pic B
Click to view attachment

Thank you for contributing to my peace of mind.

Rock on aktion035.gif
Tbrown4x4
Per my Clymer's manual: " The chamfered edge of the support points outward and the slot points downward."

No mention of shaft orientation.

However, I am inclined to believe the shaft hole chamfer points outward to help with inserting the bolt. But no real proof.
BeatNavy
Ok, thanks for the input. Any other thoughts out there?

One input from not too long ago was DD's note here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2623912 where he says "make sure that the hole in the rocker shaft holders (crap, forgot the term!) that is chamfered is toward the head". Operative word here (in reference to what is chamfered) being hole, not edge.

Upon closer inspection, it DOES look like there might be a chamfer to the hole on one side and not the other as well as a chamfer to the actual pedestal edge. Hence some confusion (at least for me). See pics below:

chamfered edge:
Click to view attachment

chamfered hole?:
Click to view attachment

I get that pointing the chamfered edge of the hole in toward head is the same as pointing the chamfered edge of the actual pedestal out, but I am just trying to confirm.

In terms of the rocker shaft, the instructions that came with the solid spacer from Type4 store mention ensuing that the beveled hole of rocker shaft point down against head or damage to pushrods and rockers can occur (I'm paraphrasing here).

Don't want damage. Damage bad.
Mark Henry
Chamfered up, the slot becomes obvious when you put the PR tube spring on.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 18 2018, 08:24 AM) *

Chamfered up, the slot becomes obvious when you put the PR tube spring on.

Thanks, Mark. Yeah, I'm clear on the slot for the pushrod tube retaining wire. To be clear, you're saying chamfered EDGE (not hole) up, correct?

Also, any thoughts on rocker shaft orientation?
pilothyer
Old post I know, But what was the answer regarding the orientation of the Rocker shaft itself????? Oval hole down or up?????
pilothyer
Found out, Oval Hole Down Toward Head. Thanks Mark Henry
Mark Henry
The correct way the block and shaft face up as in these two pics. The slot in the block faces down towards the PR tubes.
IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.