Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave97
I'm looking at BFG Advantage T/A and the Firestone AS. I have BFG's 205/60/15 and am looking at 205/65/15, or 195/65/15. Taller tire, close to the same width. Anyone have experience on the Firestone and the size? These seem to be the picks for a high performance all season tire. Suggestions?
bbrock
I was going to post this same question when I got closer to buying tires, so watching with interest popcorn[1].gif

Reading through reviews on Tire Rack, there is one review from a 914 driver who really liked the Firehawks. In general, it seemed like most reviews from people driving performance cars like them and most negative reviews were from people driving stupid cars that probably should be running GT rather than performance tires. smile.gif
Olympic 914
BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S

Running 205-50 16 on 7" and 225-50 16 on 8"

All season, can't speak to their handling in snow. but all around use and rain they work great. I like that they have built in rim protection.
Jamie
QUOTE(Dave97 @ Dec 18 2018, 06:52 AM) *

I'm looking at BFG Advantage T/A and the Firestone AS. I have BFG's 205/60/15 and am looking at 205/65/15, or 195/65/15. Taller tire, close to the same width. Anyone have experience on the Firestone and the size? These seem to be the picks for a high performance all season tire. Suggestions?

I've been running Michelin Pilot Exalta 205x65x15" on my original 5.5" steel rims for several years and they work great! I don't AX but do some "spirited" driving on club outings. driving.gif
Cairo94507
I am looking for tires for my 15x7 rims (deep sixes widened 1" on the backside by Harvey) for my Six. I am thinking a 215x65x15 or maybe a 215x60x15? I really do not need an all season tire. Here in the Bay Area we really do not see snow or ice. Additionally, I really do not plan to drive the car in inclement weather. I would like a nice summer tire. I have spoken with Harvey Weidman and am awaiting some recommendations as I will have him mount and balance the tires on the rims he just refinished for me. Really looking forward to seeing those babies. beerchug.gif
JamesM
1. What wheels are you running?

2. What are your performance goals here?

If you are running stock wheels I personally wouldn't go over 185 width, and probably not even over 165. While you can spend more money and stretch a wide performance tire on to a stock rim best handling is achieved when tread width=rim width, as soon as you start going wider your handling starts to be impacted, and you get that "ballooned" look. If your goal is max performance and/or wide tire appearance, get wider wheels, you want ~7 inches to run modern 205s. If you are running stock wheels check out the Vredestein Sprint Classic

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...=Sprint+Classic

Modern high performance compound with vintage appearance and in proper vintage sizes.

QUOTE(Dave97 @ Dec 18 2018, 07:52 AM) *

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Call denny at the tire rack for the best tire recommendation his extension is 321. You want only a 195/65 x15 out of the sizes your quoted.

quote name='Dave97' date='Dec 18 2018, 07:52 AM' post='2674739']
[/quote]
Larmo63
205/65 series look too tall on our cars IMHO.

Go with /60 series at least......
bbrock
Since I'm interested in the same question as the OP, a little reality check here. Tire Rack lists only two tires in 185/70 series: Vredestein Sprint and Pirelli (break out your wallet) P6000. Both of these are summer tires and not all-season as the OP is apparently looking for. To get a choice of all-season, you have to go to 195/65 to keep stock diameter and not go poochy wide. That brings up some choices in performance all-season, and GT all-season categories. I can't speak for @Dave97 , but I live at 45 degrees north lattitude and 6,000 ft. elevation with many of the best drives above 8,000. A reasonable amount of traction in the snow is a must. beerchug.gif

BTW Dave, I found the Tirerack tire tests on performance all-seasons helpful. Covers the Firestone but not BFG though:
burton73
I know it was not a Porsche 914 but I put Firestone Fire hawk AS on my DD Lexus RX 400h that I would jam in the turns. It was front wheel drive but the thing is it was like a whole new car. I was so impressed I kept telling people. I had only run the same tire type that was on it when I got it and I got 30,000 miles each time 2 x sets of Goodyear. My car ran so much better that with the Goodyear sets.

Someone should put the Firestone Fire hawk AS on and try them. The last set of tires I put on my 76 914 I was unimpressed with.

Bob B
driving-girl.gif
iankarr
I'm running the firehawks on my F308 and they're great. Next time my 914 needs rubber I'm going with them.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 18 2018, 02:47 PM) *

I know it was not a Porsche 914 but I put Firestone Fire hawk AS on my DD Lexus RX 400h that I would jam in the turns. It was front wheel drive but the thing is it was like a whole new car. I was so impressed I kept telling people. I had only run the same tire type that was on it when I got it and I got 30,000 miles each time 2 x sets of Goodyear. My car ran so much better that with the Goodyear sets.

Someone should put the Firestone Fire hawk AS on and try them. The last set of tires I put on my 76 914 I was unimpressed with.

Bob B
driving-girl.gif

Here you go:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2550571
Dave97
Thanks everyone. I have Fuchs. If there were more summer tire options I would consider them.
George. What are are thoughts against the 205/65/15 tires? The specs on section and tread width are very close to what I have now except the diameter is close to the stock tire. I' not worried about the "taller" gearing with the taller tire. Thanks
bbrock
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Dec 18 2018, 05:23 PM) *

Bob B
driving-girl.gif

Here you go:

Sweet! Still happy with them a year later?
wes
I put the Firestone firehawk 195/55/R16 (tire rack) on my 914 just before Rennsport and have about 300 miles on them. I’m so far very happy with them.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 18 2018, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Dec 18 2018, 05:23 PM) *

Bob B
driving-girl.gif

Here you go:

Sweet! Still happy with them a year later?

I am happy with them based on the expectations for a “high performance” all-season tire. I haven’t had any pucker moments with them but also keep their inherent limitations in mind. Also, they look good on the 914 in my opinion. Most tires in this size look like they belong on an economy sedan. I poured over all the reviews for tires in this size range and these were the only ones that were truly appealing at the time. The fact that they were very inexpensive was a bonus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.