Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A FAT Performance 2.8 motor up for auction on BaT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bretth
Looks like a very nice Xmas gift for someone to buy for themselves.
thelogo
Seems like a bit much for the street

Maybe good for streets of willow spring s

Or baja 1000 bye1.gif
JmuRiz
For some reason this comes to mind:
IPB Image

Every (that) big 4 I've seen has ended up like the above GIF
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 18 2018, 04:16 PM) *

For some reason this comes to mind:
IPB Image

Every (that) big 4 I've seen has ended up like the above GIF

My 2.6 nickies engine has at least 20K+ miles on it. biggrin.gif

That FAT shroud won't fit under a 914 decklid. huh.gif
JmuRiz
But you were smart enough to use nickies;)
rgalla9146
Beautifully done.
It'll be plenty of fun
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 18 2018, 04:03 PM) *

I beg to differ (as long as you remove the rain tray), this is in my (new to me) Xmas present... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
It's too bad our 914's don't show off the fan like a 911/912 does.
914forme
I am glad they don't that means the engine is in the correct position in the car.
mb911
That's allot of coin for a 4cyl build.. I have never ridden in hot type 4 914 but I bet it's fun.. What kind of longevity do you get from that?
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2018, 06:12 AM) *

912s don't...

IPB Image
914forme
912E did
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 19 2018, 04:56 PM) *

912E did

I always thought they looked like this one...

IPB Image

...but I guess the little blower at the lower rear qualifies.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 20 2018, 03:12 AM) *

That's a view we all miss with the 914,tarted up my "6" fin etc but don't forget its spinning there ….chipped a long nail when tuning mine,could have been a digit gone.
Message to self make the firewall opening bigger for those 6k timing checks :sawzall lol-2.gif
Why will this motor be a timebomb ? ,check on Fat's past rep ...very strong builds in offroad and streetable t4 motors for a very long time.
Those TQ numbers are great @ lower RPM and max HP is sensible,sounds like it has to be a good engine,don't see any oil cooler however,is it missing? surely it can't have been on a dyno without it.
Read the comments on the auction !!!,one guy replied that it may have an offset ground crank …..really av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Dave_Darling
No oil cooler on the block that I can see. External cooler required. 105mm cast-iron cylinders are not usually good for reliability. One guy did his own engine of similar displacement and had to do a top-end on it every year. I wouldn't be surprised if this were similar; heads refreshed (possibly cracks welded up) and a hone and re-ring every year or so.

--DD
914forme
confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 21 2018, 10:59 PM) *

LOL . I was thinking 912 with a six.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 19 2018, 07:52 PM) *

That's allot of coin for a 4cyl build.. I have never ridden in hot type 4 914 but I bet it's fun.. What kind of longevity do you get from that?

The problem with the build is the iron cylinders, with 103's maybe at best 20K before you need to refresh and install new cylinders. 105's are even thinner.

My 2.6 78X102 with nickies has 20K on it now, at 80K (max) I'll refresh the heads, but the P&C's should be good to go. I chose the 102's over the 103 just because the cylinder walls are a bit thicker.

SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2018, 07:00 AM) *
LOL . I was thinking 912 with a six.

I believe they call that one a "911" ...
idea.gif
rhodyguy
Clone. A 12 is a 12 and an 11 is an 11.
Dave_Darling
I always called it a "912-6".

--DD
barefoot
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 19 2018, 01:10 AM) *

I beg to differ (as long as you remove the rain tray), this is in my (new to me) Xmas present... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Is this a dry sump conversion??
914forme
Full flow setup, dry sump would have a different oil pump. Like this one or similar.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Not a T4 case, it's a T1 case, drilled for the T3 but still a T1 case.
Pump looks like a melling, but the fancy case machining says it would be clearance for dry sump. The issue with the dry sump pump is it interferes with the pulley, both T1 and T4.
But a 911 fan conversion uses a much smaller pulley and doesn't interfere with the dry sump pump. It's why with the german VW bug track racer crowd the 911 fan (and T4 conversion) is so popular.

My '67 bug with a T4 has oil light cornering issues, level halfway on the dipstick I can easily turn on my idiot light. So I always run 250ml over the top line, it's a lowered bug so I can't run a tuna can.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 23 2018, 04:33 PM) *

Which one? The one in the auction sure looks like a Type IV to me. Please school me if I'm wrong!!

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 23 2018, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 23 2018, 04:33 PM) *

Which one? The one in the auction sure looks like a Type IV to me. Please school me if I'm wrong!!

--DD

Post #24
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 23 2018, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 19 2018, 01:10 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Is this a dry sump conversion??

Yes it’s a dry sump (using a 6 oil tank in the stock location). I also have a tuna can where the pickup is connected...
Big Len
Sold for $18,000 Wow
914forme
agree.gif
914forme
Sorry I don't agree it is not a dry sump.

Click to view attachment

Builder documentation tells a very different story.

And I am back to WOW, just WOW. I must be out of tune on engine costs.

mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 26 2018, 03:31 PM) *

agree.gif

I'd want a good running 3.6 for $18K.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 26 2018, 12:59 PM) *

agree.gif

With a 993 still attached to it ...

poke.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 26 2018, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 26 2018, 12:59 PM) *

agree.gif

With a 993 still attached to it ...

poke.gif

thats what I mean. 964 or 993 engine. 300hp and EFI. For $18K, you might even get a 915 trans thrown in.

But to each their own.
Amphicar770
Normally WOW but BAT seems to be the auction site where wealthy fools and their money are frequently parted. It has become kind of like the online equivalent of the Scottsdale auctions where a couple of 1-percenters will let their egos place bids far beyond market value or common sense.
Steve
Must of been a bidding war.
How much is it really worth?
Coondog
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 26 2018, 09:36 PM) *

Normally WOW but BAT seems to be the auction site where wealthy fools and their money are frequently parted. It has become kind of like the online equivalent of the Scottsdale auctions where a couple of 1-percenters will let their egos place bids far beyond market value or common sense.

Well Said Sir........ agree.gif
rhodyguy
As this engine was built in 2016 does that mean other than dyno time it's brand new And just been sitting around for 2+years? Prob not where I'd drop 18k. Isn't the DTM the go to upright fan?
Mike Fitton
Pretty simple math, if you want a Fat Performance engine the build was $17,300 in 2016 so add a couple grand and long wait time then it is a good deal for someone wanting one of these. I guarantee there was more than 2 bidders on this.
Tdskip
Looks like it was bought by a guy who’s going to put it in 356 that he hasn’t actually been bought yet.
Big Len
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 27 2018, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 26 2018, 09:36 PM) *

Well Said Sir........ agree.gif

agree.gif
I believe it was bought by the owner of Weather Tech products.
Mark Henry
I never build engines on speculation, always been a losing endeavor.
Maybe it's time to rethink that...
thelogo
I guess this will fit in a 356 better then a 3.6 would ?

But still seems a little much poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.