Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 port fuel pump mock up and questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
This is for a 2.0 L D-Jet

The pump I am trying is a rebuilt unit that I had around for a year. I am replacing the original unit because it was not producing any pressure in the fuel rails. The pump came on when you turn the key. I went through the entire fuel line system with new hoses. I do not have any crimping in the lines. I thought I would try and see if the rebuilt one was good before I switched it out

I mocked up 1 fuel line to a gas can. That line is hooked up to "s" port on the fuel pump.
I hooked up the next fuel line to the "d" port and ran it to an empty gas can. The final port "r" was left open. What I expected to happen was that the "d" port would push gas into the empty gas can. What I got was the "s" port sucked up the gas in the full gas can, the "d" port didn't push out anything, and the "r" port started to push out gas. The gas coming out of the "r" port wasn't forceful like I thought the "d" port would be but had some air with the gas.

Why isn't the "d" port pushing out gas? Do I have to connect a fuel line to the "r" port
to get the pump to function so that the "d" port pushes out fuel? The "d" port is meant to hook up to the rear of the passenger side fuel rail.

The way it is set up is that the "s" port is on the top. The "d" port is in the middle, and the "r" port is on the bottom closest to the power connection.

Thanks,
Buck

ndfrigi
i’m sure most members will suggest to use later fuel pump that eliminate Y connector (1st line to “R” of fuel pump and 2nd line to tunnel return line) for the return lines.

Click to view attachment
Chi-town
Supply = In
Discharge = Out
Return = Return

Without resistance the internal regulator probably goes into bypass?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Dec 18 2018, 08:53 PM) *

Supply = In
Discharge = Out
Return = Return

Without resistance the internal regulator probably goes into bypass?

Correct agree.gif

Pinch down on the return line to simulate about 30 psi pressure. They can leak under pressure. Safer to test with rubbing alcohol. What is left in the pump will mix with gas. You can use water.
Bruce
buck toenges
Thanks for the replies. Put in the rebuilt pump in and everything works great.

Buck
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you will need a fuel pump boot when you install, but here it is

Put the r and the s lines into the gas can and the D into another can or glass jar and energize. IT will pump as it should that way, to test

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Dec 18 2018, 07:20 PM) *

This is for a 2.0 L D-Jet

The pump I am trying is a rebuilt unit that I had around for a year. I am replacing the original unit because it was not producing any pressure in the fuel rails. The pump came on when you turn the key. I went through the entire fuel line system with new hoses. I do not have any crimping in the lines. I thought I would try and see if the rebuilt one was good before I switched it out

I mocked up 1 fuel line to a gas can. That line is hooked up to "s" port on the fuel pump.
I hooked up the next fuel line to the "d" port and ran it to an empty gas can. The final port "r" was left open. What I expected to happen was that the "d" port would push gas into the empty gas can. What I got was the "s" port sucked up the gas in the full gas can, the "d" port didn't push out anything, and the "r" port started to push out gas. The gas coming out of the "r" port wasn't forceful like I thought the "d" port would be but had some air with the gas.

Why isn't the "d" port pushing out gas? Do I have to connect a fuel line to the "r" port
to get the pump to function so that the "d" port pushes out fuel? The "d" port is meant to hook up to the rear of the passenger side fuel rail.

The way it is set up is that the "s" port is on the top. The "d" port is in the middle, and the "r" port is on the bottom closest to the power connection.

Thanks,
Buck

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.