Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did anybody here buy the 74 Black 914 2.0 on Tampa CL?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
Just wandering if anybody here bought the recently listed 74 Black 2.0 that was on Tampa Bay Craigslist? I looked at it first thing this AM and passed on it.
vbrad26
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 19 2018, 03:34 PM) *

Just wandering if anybody here bought the recently listed 74 Black 2.0 that was on Tampa Bay Craigslist? I looked at it first thing this AM and passed on it.

Yes.
Well, my father-in-law did as a project for him, his son, and myself.
I'm the only one active on car forums so that's why I'm here and not them hah.
I will post a brief intro once we take possession.
It is currently at the previous owners residence but we hope to have it in the garage tonight (weather looks to be pretty crappy this evening), or within the next week or so.
I have not personally seen it yet but from what he told me it doesn't seem too bad.
But we'll know for sure once we have some time to look at it.
We will throw some new tires on it and send it in for an inspection and decide what route we want to take with it...AKA keep it or dump it.
While we are all VW/Audi/Porsche enthusiasts, we don't know much about the 914 in particular except for some quick research before purchasing it.
914rrr
QUOTE(vbrad26 @ Dec 19 2018, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 19 2018, 03:34 PM) *

Yes.
Well, my father-in-law did as a project for him, his son, and myself.
I'm the only one active on car forums so that's why I'm here and not them hah.
I will post a brief intro once we take possession.
It is currently at the previous owners residence but we hope to have it in the garage tonight (weather looks to be pretty crappy this evening), or within the next week or so.
I have not personally seen it yet but from what he told me it doesn't seem too bad.
But we'll know for sure once we have some time to look at it.
We will throw some new tires on it and send it in for an inspection and decide what route we want to take with it...AKA keep it or dump it.
While we are all VW/Audi/Porsche enthusiasts, we don't know much about the 914 in particular except for some quick research before purchasing it.

Good news: it runs fairly well, engine is fairly dry with no apparent oil leaks andd oesn't appear to have been in any accidents.

Bad news: it was a NY car with northern style structural rust issues that have been (mostly) addressed, but not very well. The flat steel repair panel under the passenger side stretches from the center tunnel all the way out to the longitudinal and upward. The repair left the car sitting a little too high on the passenger side and the passenger door gap is a little bit too wide.

It could be restored, depending on your skill level, patience and budget. It would involve a significant amount of structural metal replacement on both sides, etc.

Click to view attachment

vbrad26
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 19 2018, 06:47 PM) *

Good news: it runs fairly well, engine is fairly dry with no apparent oil leaks andd oesn't appear to have been in any accidents.

Bad news: it was a NY car with northern style structural rust issues that have been (mostly) addressed, but not very well. The flat steel repair panel under the passenger side stretches from the center tunnel all the way out to the longitudinal and upward. The repair left the car sitting a little too high on the passenger side and the passenger door gap is a little bit too wide.

It could be restored, depending on your skill level, patience and budget. It would involve a significant amount of structural metal replacement on both sides, etc.

Click to view attachment

Thank you for the info.
We will be picking up the car over the weekend and bringing it back to the garage.
Then we'll be taking it over to the shop to have it looked over.
None of us are experienced in major bodywork, let alone structural work.
Most of that work (if not all) would be done by a shop and not by us.
So I suppose after the car gets inspected, we will make some decisions regarding how we'd like to proceed.
We don't intend to have this car be a pristine example or even close to being a show car, so as far as "restoration" goes it will be relatively mild.
It will just be a fun weekend toy to mess around in and autoX.
So with that being said, how much of an issue are the structural rust issues going to be in this case?
Was the work performed good enough to get us by? Or regardless are we going to be putting some money in to fix these things correctly?
Any other tips or knowledge you would care to share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again!
Porschef
Not sure what's going on with that underbody... blink.gif sad.gif
vbrad26
QUOTE(Porschef @ Dec 20 2018, 11:26 AM) *

Not sure what's going on with that underbody... blink.gif sad.gif

It is all new to me so I'm doing as much research as I can...
And again I wont even have the car till the weekend to look at it.
So I am trying to prepare myself hah.
Rob-O
Not even sure if the answers to the questions in your previous post could be answered by 914rrr...and he’s seen the car in person. We aren’t able to tell the extent of the rust based on the picture we have. But from what we can see and the description that the original floor is gone and the replacement panel is running to the longitudinal and up, that’s probably going to be an expensive, messy job for the correct repairs to be made.

The 914 is prone to rust in this area, usually from battery acid/rust in the engine bay destroying the battery tray and the inner longitudinal area (called the ‘hell hole’). Water intrusion into the passenger compartment will also cause rust in the rear areas of the seating areas. Fixing all of that is an intricate job, usually involving replacement of the floor pan (or at least the back half of it), the inner long area, usually the outer long, the jack post, the battery tray, part of the rear firewall, the jack support ‘donut’ and quite possibly the rear suspension console. Good news is that most of those parts are available (Google: Restoration Design). The bad news is that if you’re not doing the work yourself thats a boatload of money spent at a body shop.

I understand wanting it for a weekend toy. If the repairs were adequate but not pretty you *might* get away with driving it as is. But given the area of concern, most of us look at repairs in this area as mandatory from a safety standpoint. 914’s don’t have the benefit of a steel roof, so you’re depending on that area to provide strength to the entire chassis. 914’s have been known to somewhat fold in half because of the weakened structure that rust cause. Uneven door gaps are one of the first clues that the structural integrity of that area is gone.

As far as racing that car I doubt many here that have racing experience would take that car on a track in that condition. In fact, depending on the race governing body that you’re interested in, it may not pass that groups safety inspection.

Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, because all of us here love these cars, but want you to take a really good look at that area and be safe.

When you get it take a ton of pics and post them here. The community will chime in...and probably ask for pics of other angles, other areas. But you’ll definitely come away with an accurate consensus of what to expect from the car. If 914rrr is close to you he may even be a resource to put eyeballs on it for a detailed description.
vbrad26
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Dec 20 2018, 03:29 PM) *

Not even sure if the answers to the questions in your previous post could be answered by 914rrr...and he’s seen the car in person. We aren’t able to tell the extent of the rust based on the picture we have. But from what we can see and the description that the original floor is gone and the replacement panel is running to the longitudinal and up, that’s probably going to be an expensive, messy job for the correct repairs to be made.

The 914 is prone to rust in this area, usually from battery acid/rust in the engine bay destroying the battery tray and the inner longitudinal area (called the ‘hell hole’). Water intrusion into the passenger compartment will also cause rust in the rear areas of the seating areas. Fixing all of that is an intricate job, usually involving replacement of the floor pan (or at least the back half of it), the inner long area, usually the outer long, the jack post, the battery tray, part of the rear firewall, the jack support ‘donut’ and quite possibly the rear suspension console. Good news is that most of those parts are available (Google: Restoration Design). The bad news is that if you’re not doing the work yourself thats a boatload of money spent at a body shop.

I understand wanting it for a weekend toy. If the repairs were adequate but not pretty you *might* get away with driving it as is. But given the area of concern, most of us look at repairs in this area as mandatory from a safety standpoint. 914’s don’t have the benefit of a steel roof, so you’re depending on that area to provide strength to the entire chassis. 914’s have been known to somewhat fold in half because of the weakened structure that rust cause. Uneven door gaps are one of the first clues that the structural integrity of that area is gone.

As far as racing that car I doubt many here that have racing experience would take that car on a track in that condition. In fact, depending on the race governing body that you’re interested in, it may not pass that groups safety inspection.

Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, because all of us here love these cars, but want you to take a really good look at that area and be safe.

When you get it take a ton of pics and post them here. The community will chime in...and probably ask for pics of other angles, other areas. But you’ll definitely come away with an accurate consensus of what to expect from the car. If 914rrr is close to you he may even be a resource to put eyeballs on it for a detailed description.

Appreciate the reply Rob-O.
Like I said I have been reading up as much as I can and have already stumbled across Restoration Design as well as Auto Atlanta, if there are any other good sources I'd love to hear them!
I planned to start a new thread once we had the car and include some pics of potential problem areas.
Like you said, the good news is that it looks like parts are readily available, and relatively cheap...it would just be the labor involved.
And I'm sure it has a long way to go before it is autoX/track worthy.
We are in absolutely no hurry to get this car sorted out.
I have a 9 moth old daughter and according to my father-in-law, it's actually hers hah.
So with that in mind, if it ends up getting done, it will be done right.
We were originally looking for a Ghia or a Bug, but stumbled across this thing and he pulled the trigger.
Anyway, thank you all again for the replies and I look forward to sharing more with you shortly.
In the meantime, since "a thread is worthless without pics", here is a picture of the current '80 SC "project"...

IPB Image

Between us we have that, a 997 C2S, '06 Cayman S, 944 Turbo and a Cayenne Turbo.
I daily a MK7 VW GTI.
sixnotfour
welcome.png
driving.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif type.gif w00t.gif driving-girl.gif
914rrr
You can PM me and I'd be happy to share with you what I saw and what I think it may need. A 74 2.0 is worth saving. I've owned and worked on over 40 914's starting in the late 70's, ranging from ratty beaters to show cars. Be aware, if you plan on having a shop do all the metal work, it's going to be BIG labor bill.

I would suggest contacting Brad Mayeur at 914 Ltd (username: 914ltd) He could probably give you a swag $$ number on what it would take to do the metal work involved based on my photo.

This "rustoration" thread below will give you an idea of what is involved in a structural repair of this scale:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...69606&st=20

If you do decide to go forward, you could likely find almost everything. literally, on this website you need by posting wanted ads in the classifieds.
Tdskip
Welcome!

The SC looks good, you will find the 914 complements that driving experience.

As has been said loads and pictures helps, and don’t be shy. Good people here who are happy to help, heck @sirandy puts up with me and I’m a moron.

:-)
Rob-O
QUOTE(vbrad26 @ Dec 20 2018, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Dec 20 2018, 03:29 PM) *

Appreciate the reply Rob-O.
Like I said I have been reading up as much as I can and have already stumbled across Restoration Design as well as Auto Atlanta, if there are any other good sources I'd love to hear them!
I planned to start a new thread once we had the car and include some pics of potential problem areas.
Like you said, the good news is that it looks like parts are readily available, and relatively cheap...it would just be the labor involved.
And I'm sure it has a long way to go before it is autoX/track worthy.
We are in absolutely no hurry to get this car sorted out.
I have a 9 moth old daughter and according to my father-in-law, it's actually hers hah.
So with that in mind, if it ends up getting done, it will be done right.
We were originally looking for a Ghia or a Bug, but stumbled across this thing and he pulled the trigger.
Anyway, thank you all again for the replies and I look forward to sharing more with you shortly.
In the meantime, since "a thread is worthless without pics", here is a picture of the current '80 SC "project"...

IPB Image

Between us we have that, a 997 C2S, '06 Cayman S, 944 Turbo and a Cayenne Turbo.
I daily a MK7 VW GTI.

My pleasure. The 914 community is overflowing in the availability of parts and knowledge, especially given the size of the community. Just off the top of my head (and I know I’ll inadvertantly leave some out). Pelican Parts, Auto Atlanta, 914Rubber (much more than just rubber), PMB (brakes and other services), Restoration Design. Many of the outfits that provide parts for 911’s provide 914 parts, in particular suspension guys like Elephant Racing and Tarrett. We also have individuals who specialize in certain areas. Bruce Stone restores pedal clusters, Chris Foley provides experience proven racing parts/exhausts and mechanical services, Garold Shaffer is a great resource for used parts, So is Kevin (Rhodyguy here). Ben (MB911) fabricates a ton of metal objects that are a shame to hide under a car.

There are banner ads on this site, that’s a great place to start. The ‘Classics’ forum is great, too. You’ll feel like Neo when the computer program that taught him how to do karate was downloaded into him...tons of incredible info in a short time.

Given the 911 (looks fantastic, BTW) and your past experience with German cars you’ll fit in here just fine. Oh, and...

welcome.png
vbrad26
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 20 2018, 07:37 PM) *

You can PM me and I'd be happy to share with you what I saw and what I think it may need. A 74 2.0 is worth saving. I've owned and worked on over 40 914's starting in the late 70's, ranging from ratty beaters to show cars. Be aware, if you plan on having a shop do all the metal work, it's going to be BIG labor bill.

I would suggest contacting Brad Mayeur at 914 Ltd (username: 914ltd) He could probably give you a swag $$ number on what it would take to do the metal work involved based on my photo.

This "rustoration" thread below will give you an idea of what is involved in a structural repair of this scale:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...69606&st=20

If you do decide to go forward, you could likely find almost everything. literally, on this website you need by posting wanted ads in the classifieds.

Ok I will shoot a PM your way, good to know that it could potentially be a car worth saving.
I will also take a look at the linked thread...good thing it should be a slow day at the office!

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 20 2018, 08:25 PM) *

Welcome!

The SC looks good, you will find the 914 complements that driving experience.

As has been said loads and pictures helps, and don’t be shy. Good people here who are happy to help, heck @sirandy puts up with me and I’m a moron.

:-)

Thank you. The SC is in pretty good shape but it is by no means a show car.
It has been tracked pretty heavily in its lifetime and it is apparent on some of the panels.
It's mostly chassis/suspension, brakes and missing interior, no real mechanical upgrades engine or drivetrain wise with the exception of a WEVO shifter.
But it is a blast...it was the first air-cooled 911 I ever drove.

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Dec 20 2018, 09:54 PM) *

My pleasure. The 914 community is overflowing in the availability of parts and knowledge, especially given the size of the community. Just off the top of my head (and I know I’ll inadvertantly leave some out). Pelican Parts, Auto Atlanta, 914Rubber (much more than just rubber), PMB (brakes and other services), Restoration Design. Many of the outfits that provide parts for 911’s provide 914 parts, in particular suspension guys like Elephant Racing and Tarrett. We also have individuals who specialize in certain areas. Bruce Stone restores pedal clusters, Chris Foley provides experience proven racing parts/exhausts and mechanical services, Garold Shaffer is a great resource for used parts, So is Kevin (Rhodyguy here). Ben (MB911) fabricates a ton of metal objects that are a shame to hide under a car.

There are banner ads on this site, that’s a great place to start. The ‘Classics’ forum is great, too. You’ll feel like Neo when the computer program that taught him how to do karate was downloaded into him...tons of incredible info in a short time.

Given the 911 (looks fantastic, BTW) and your past experience with German cars you’ll fit in here just fine. Oh, and...

welcome.png

Indeed, this forum seems like an excellent resource.
I've already learned so much about these cars in the last 2 days all thanks to 914World!

Thanks again for all of the replies so far.
I'm excited to finally get to see the car tomorrow and really take a good look at it.
I will be sure to get some pictures and share the findings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.