Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding CDI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Markeydoo
I am looking for any information on getting a Bosch CDI rebuilt or if I should go to a different CDI system
Thanks for the info
Mark
Joe Bob
Send it to me....
ArtechnikA
donno what Mikey's got planned, and he's been pretty secretive.
IMO - the Bosch CDI was good in its day, but that day was 30 yrs ago.

for my money - Crane HI-6.
i'm not a fan of MSD (the Autotronics product line, not the concept) systems but a lot of people like them. if you have a concours car the Bosch box is fine, but newer systems have more going for them.
914efi
take a look at M&W
Markeydoo
Do ether of these need other parts like coil, points etc?
Mark
ArtechnikA
the Bosch of course is designed to work with points. the Crane will work with points although a lot of people install an optical trigger at the same time.

you will need a CDI pulse transformer ("coil"). the factory "coil" is fine but there is more potential in uprated parts. the MSD "High Vibration" coil is black like the original. i use the Crane LX-92 but i don't care about original appearance in that car. uprating the pulse transformer will definitely require that your plug wires are up to snuff. personally, i use Magnecor but i don't claim they're the only ones that'll do the job. i do think they're an excellent value, tho.
Joe Bob
I can fix them for 100-150 depending on how fried they are...
914efi
The M&W was a plug-in using their short harness to the 6-pin 911 plug. I'm assuming they have a harness for a 3-pin if that is what you have. Having yours rebuilt seems like a good alternative. I needed a new unit as I was converting a 75 to an SC with the later 6 pin CD.
Cap'n Krusty
We fix 'em, too, but for more than Mikey charges. We offer a 2 year unlimited warranty, and we've been doing them for 20 years. The warranty is meaningless because we've never had one fail. The Cap'n
Joe Bob
Haven't had one fail yet.

But I don't have a track record like the Crusty one....they ain't rocket science. Old technology, hardest part is finding the replacement parts....once opened up they are pretty obvious what blew....

sixnotfour
We fix 'em, too, but for more than Mikey charges. We offer a 2 year unlimited warranty, and we've been doing them for 20 years. The warranty is meaningless because we've never had one fail. The Cap'n

I wouldnt say meaniless , it gives the person piece of mind that they dont have to worry. When a new one list for like 900.0
More people got in to the repair business of these when the schematics got posted on pelican.
The 6 pin boxes seem to fail at a higher rate than the old 3 pin.
Mueller
if you go to the 911 pelican board, there are a few good posts that show the insides, part numbers and schematics of the Bosch CDI unit...I just bought a new MSD 6A box last week smash.gif
Markeydoo
Thanks
I will check out Pelican site. Than when I'm totally confused I'll call Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.