Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this car sound off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Current on BAT, decided to ask here rather than there since I don't want to interfere with the auction as I'm not a potential buyer.

Valve adjustment off?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-9/

Youtube of it running
iankarr
Def sounds like valve train needs adjustment. Or maybe it has hydraylic lifters and it needs to run a while to pump them up.
mb911
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Dec 21 2018, 07:53 AM) *

Def sounds like valve train needs adjustment. Or maybe it has hydraylic lifters and it needs to run a while to pump them up.

agree.gif

Tdskip. I may know of a really nice car that just needs TLC. Might be a better option? Pm what your looking for.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 21 2018, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Dec 21 2018, 07:53 AM) *

agree.gif

Tdskip. I may know of a really nice car that just needs TLC. Might be a better option? Pm what your looking for.

Hi Ben - thanks for the follow up. Just looking to run my 914 hearing and diagnostic skills.

I am not personally looking, my 914 cup runeth over!

sithot
Hydraulic lifters? blink.gif

C'mon now, Really???

porschetub
Hard to tell from that really,but sounded a bit more than tappet noise,more of a knocking than rattling ? makes you wonder why the person behind the camera wasn't closer,buyer beware I guess ?.
iankarr
QUOTE(sithot @ Dec 21 2018, 12:54 PM) *

C'mon now, Really???

My car has em and they sound a lot like that after the car’s been sitting. 15 mins later all is fine.
TravisNeff
Sounds like someone poured a fistful of coins down the oil filler neck laugh.gif
SteveL
sounds like exhaust leak plus tin rattle/blown out muffler.
bbrock
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 21 2018, 11:18 AM) *

Sounds like someone poured a fistful of coins down the oil filler neck laugh.gif

Doesn't that describe pretty much any Type 4? I love 'em, but they don't sound sexy. I think I recently described it as sounding like a box of buffalo farts.

That engine does sound a lot like the bus I had with hydraulic lifters after it sat for awhile. It's been so long since I've heard an actual running Type 4, that I don't pretend to diagnose by sound though.
TravisNeff
The type 4 may make a little valve tick, but that engine is making noises that would set my OCD into overdrive.
bbrock
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 21 2018, 11:37 AM) *

The type 4 may make a little valve tick, but that engine is making noises that would set my OCD into overdrive.

agree.gif
sithot
Bronx Cheer around :18. lol-2.gif

That's the best sound in the whole video.

Tdskip
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Dec 21 2018, 01:15 PM) *

C'mon now, Really???

My car has em and they sound a lot like that after the car’s been sitting. 15 mins later all is fine.

My 73 with a rebuilt engine I believed to have these as well, when I first fired it up it scared the heck out of me but once it ran for a bit it went away.

JamesM
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Dec 21 2018, 11:15 AM) *

C'mon now, Really???

Mine sounds a hell of a lot louder than that when the hydo lifters would drain out.

smile.gif
tomeric914
Sounds like a really loose alternator belt slapping randomly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.