Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full alunimum pedal board set came my way.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Too bright silver for my taste, not sure who made the two boards, all the pedals including dead pedal are Rennline.

Anyway to make the boards darker?
Powder coat? anodize? Or?
Or don't bother because it will get all scratched.

I want to use them because the passenger side board has a nice sub that goes under it. happy11.gif
TravisNeff
I would anodize it. You could also scuff with a scotchbrite pad and dull down the shine a little bit.
11tenths
How about the stair tread anti-slip stick ons?

confused24.gif

-Harry
mepstein
I powdercoated mine satin black. Looks great and I doubt my shoes will rub it off, at least not for a while. Cerikote would probably work as well if you don’t have axcess to powdercoat. It’s very wear resistant.
Amphicar770
I had some aluminum bits I thought were too shiny. A few seconds in blast cabinet dulled them nicely.
tomeric914
Sandblast confused24.gif
mobymutt
I would just eliminate the whole problem and give it away as a Christmas present. Maybe to somebody near Kingston.

Edit: if you are worried about scratching and wanted to get fancy, you could do a hard anodize. It will come in darker than a normal clear anodize, and I think you can even pick a specific colour if you want.
Mueller
Hard anodize would give them a nice dark finish that I think looks better than black anodize.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Dec 21 2018, 06:24 PM) *

I would just eliminate the whole problem and give it away as a Christmas present. Maybe to somebody near Kingston.

Edit: if you are worried about scratching and wanted to get fancy, you could do a hard anodize. It will come in darker than a normal clear anodize, and I think you can even pick a specific colour if you want.

WTF.gif Old farts only get a Timmy's for Christmas. biggrin.gif

I'll look into anodizing.
sixnotfour
perlon or felt...
campbellcj
I've had the same thoughts and actually like the 'look' of my interior without the large mass of drilled & brushed aluminum (deadpedal, pedals and both pedal cover / floorboards.). Thinking a crinkle-finish black powder/ceramic coat would be cool but dust (footprints) and dirt would show easier.
mobymutt
This is a pretty good summary of your options:

http://www.omwcorp.com/understanding-and-s...ng-anodizing-2/

There should be lots of suppliers locally for you.
914forme
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Dec 22 2018, 09:18 AM) *

This is a pretty good summary of your options:

http://www.omwcorp.com/understanding-and-s...ng-anodizing-2/

There should be lots of suppliers locally for you.

That is a great article, thank you for sharing.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 22 2018, 08:52 AM) *

I've had the same thoughts and actually like the 'look' of my interior without the large mass of drilled & brushed aluminum (deadpedal, pedals and both pedal cover / floorboards.). Thinking a crinkle-finish black powder/ceramic coat would be cool but dust (footprints) and dirt would show easier.

agree.gif but the silver pedals don't bother me as much as the boards.
It would also be a PITA to do the gas pedal, it's one of the fully adjustable types with a total of 56 parts counting every nut, bolt, washer and rubber button.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 22 2018, 02:11 AM) *

perlon or felt...

For the boards I've thought of this, thin covering and cut out the holes. Might be the best option re dirt and scratches. Plus it would be easily reversible.
914forme
You can also remove anodizing confused24.gif ultimately it is your car, love to see how it comes out, as I have a set also and it just does not look right to me, to bling.

rhodyguy
I'm with Mark E on this one. Paint it black like the wooden ones.
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 21 2018, 12:53 PM) *

Too bright silver for my taste, not sure who made the two boards, all the pedals including dead pedal are Rennline.

Anyway to make the boards darker?
Powder coat? anodize? Or?
Or don't bother because it will get all scratched.

I want to use them because the passenger side board has a nice sub that goes under it. happy11.gif

I have done anodizing at home. Takes some battery acid and lead electrodes. You can choose a darker color.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
What about covering it in this? Cut out the holes and let the silver edges shine through.

https://www.amazon.com/LavaGrip-GripAll-agg...t/dp/B00GOQAWJI
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 22 2018, 01:29 PM) *

What about covering it in this? Cut out the holes and let the silver edges shine through.

https://www.amazon.com/LavaGrip-GripAll-agg...t/dp/B00GOQAWJI

I would buy grip tape for skateboards. A couple dollars a foot. Sticks and wears like crazy.
Mark Henry
Another idea...What about glueing plastic laminate to it and routering out the holes? idea.gif

I think I have enough matte black plastic laminate to do this.

Also I have HD waterproof black sandpaper big enough to do the anti slip trick.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 22 2018, 02:22 PM) *

Another idea...What about glueing plastic laminate to it and routering out the holes? idea.gif

I think I have enough matte black plastic laminate to do this.

Also I have HD waterproof black sandpaper big enough to do the anti slip trick.

To cut the grip tape/sandpaper, apply it to the board and then run a utility knife blade along the edge to cut the tape. The edge will be your guide. Did hundreds of skateboards at the shop that way.
Mike Bellis
Spray on bed liner from FLAPS. Looks good and will hold up to foot traffic.
campbellcj
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 22 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Spray on bed liner from FLAPS. Looks good and will hold up to foot traffic.

A moderately-textured, satin-black 'Line-X' type of coating sounds great to me! I will try to find a spray can and test a spot on the back of the passenger side.
Mark Henry
The spray on liner would have been way faster/easier, but i went the sandpaper route.
I had this chunk of industrial belt 80 grit kicking around...and it was even made in Germany. smile.gif
Cutting out the holes was a bitch, Very heavy cloth backing, I used a waterproof spray contact cement.
Mark Henry
I'm really happy with the result, close to the carpet colour and the bling is toned down. shades.gif

I didn't set out to polish the holes, it was the best way of getting a clean edge on the holes.
914forme
Looks great and now you have some really cool looking sanding boards.

You might be buying your passengers new shoes. biggrin.gif guessing they might take a set of heels to flats in no time.
Mark Henry
That's OK, I don't think my feet touch the board much...and I don't give a shit about the passengers shoes. biggrin.gif
mobymutt
I'm impressed -- looks better than I thought it would!

I'm worried your high heels might get stuck in all those holes though. But I guess that's why you want to polish them. poke.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Dec 26 2018, 04:48 PM) *

I'm impressed -- looks better than I thought it would!

I'm worried your high heels might get stuck in all those holes though. But I guess that's why you want to polish them. poke.gif

huh.gif Those are racing high heals biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.