Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First 914... Possibly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kevlarian
So I have a 1958 VW Beetle Euro Edition. It has Semaphores. A 1835 motor that I just had built with less than 700 miles. It's an amazing car and still... Always... A work in progress.

Last week, a 914 caught my eye. The owner is interested in a potential trade. I've always wanted a 914 but I don't know a lot about them.

This one is a 74 914 with a 2.0 4-cyl and dual Weber's, rebuilt a few years ago. The transmission was rebuilt last year and has very few miles. New paint and all rust has been removed. Interior is good not great and overall it's a solid car. No show car, but a great starter.

I don't own cars to park them. My VW gets driving to work and on weekends at least three days a week. I would expect to drive this 914 at least 3 days a week.

Are these good dailies? I don't expect them to be as easy to work on as a Type 1 motor but I do want a car that I can still do most maintenance at home with my normal tools.

Should I consider this trade? Any thing that I should see and run away from? Thoughts?
ndfrigi
Welcome to 914world!

If you know a lot with your beetle, 914 will be much better and I’m sure you will enjoy it and love it. Except you will end up buying 2nd or maybe 3rd 914. hehehe

Do you know if the 914 owner is a member here?

Maybe you can also attend tomorrow. See attached thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=335089&hl=
kevlarian
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 22 2018, 12:30 AM) *

Welcome to 914world!

If you know a lot with your beetle, 914 will be much better and I’m sure you will enjoy it and love it. Except you will end up buying 2nd or maybe 3rd 914. hehehe

Do you know if the 914 owner is a member here?

Maybe you can also attend tomorrow. See attached thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=335089&hl=

I can wrench just about anything on my Beetle. I just got build long blocks or transmissions. Otherwise I do everything on my own. I enjoy working on them. But I like driving them more. They can't be garage queens.
rick 918-S
welcome.png If you can wrench on a Beetle you can wrench on a 14. Stick with the F.I. It can sometimes be frustrating to sort out but way worth it for drivability.
iankarr
agree.gif

You’ll take to the 914 easily. You seem to love your beetle and the recent rebuild has it dialed in....so why not keep it and buy the 914? smile.gif

This is an amazing community and if you post pics of the 914, you’ll get a lot of insight on the car. In answer to your question about what to look for, rust is the biggest thing.

Here’s a quick overview. Google “914 hell hole” for more rusty reading.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=290520

And

welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png I too would think you would be pretty comfortable with the 914 given your VW experience. You also likely already know to look that 914 over with a fine-toothed comb for evidence of rust or poor rust repair. Great year car on both ends. Good luck. beerchug.gif
thelogo
Xxx
TheCabinetmaker
Wtf? Thread killer
Spoke
welcome.png

Can't tell much about the car w/o pics.

If you are not familiar with the 914, you should take someone with you who does. Ask here on this thread for a 2nd set of eyes to look at the car. For the cost of a couple of beers or dinner, you'll get good feedback on the health of the 914.
Montreal914
Agreed, plenty of very knowledgeable people around to check the car and help you decide. smilie_pokal.gif

As for the other question; Yes great daily drivers. I've been using mine commuting and going everywhere ( work, shopping, beach, Rennsport, Palm Springs, Streets of Willow...) since I bought it 9 years ago. Plenty of trunk space top on or off. driving.gif

First 3 cars were Beetle (one with a 1776cc), but what I wanted was a 914, just couldn't afford it as a student.

Of course if you can keep the VW and get the 914, then your set for all 7 days of the week sunglasses.gif

welcome.png

assimilate.gif
horizontally-opposed
Drove my 73 914-4 daily for a couple of years way back when, and then again for a few months in college and then again for a year~ after getting married. It worked in all cases, but the last stint brought up some "California rust" issues hiding under the last paint job. 914s are a bit like 3.0 CSs that way—though perhaps nowhere near quite that bad.

Coming from a Beetle, the 914 is effectively parity in technology terms (particularly if it has carbs), but a quantum leap in terms of technique, engineering, handling, and more. Longer wheelbase and engine placement = better ride and handling, and the chance to remove the top and ditch it in the trunk adds another dimension. And the performance enhancements out there—from engine and transmission to suspension and brakes—are effectively endless, though there's a "mild mod" sweet spot for street cars, especially if you're going to really use a car.

Much as I dig early Beetles (and that's a lot), I wouldn't hesitate to leap to a 914 if I could have just one.

Only thing I'd look at is: What's your Beetle worth as is, and what's the 914 you're looking at worth as is?
steuspeed
Perfect step up from a bug. It will be all so familiar. You will be top down driving all the time in Cali. 1974 is a great year, only a shy second to the 73. Nice plus if it's a real 2.0 car. As a daily it will be no different then your bug. Expect it to increase in value as well. You really can't lose here if it is a clean car. Interior carpet and seat kits are available. Dash and door cards as well. Best money I ever spent. Major fun factor. Plus 914World is the best forum on the net.
76-914
welcome.png There are several members in your immediate area that could do an inspection for you if you ask. You'd be miles ahead to be with them during the inspection. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
I have a '67 bug with a 180hp 2.6L T4 conversion and a 914 3.0 /6 conversion, both are fairly well sorted.
Hands down if forced to get rid of one I'm keeping the 914.

Cool factor the bug wins, as it gets more attention.
Driving experience shit eating grins, the bug doesn't even come close to the 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.