Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Anyone with a MKV or MKVI TSI GTI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Hey guys, thinking about picking up an 09 GTI tomorrow. It's a 1 owner 70k mile car. Carfax showed some service history, but I didn't see anything regarding Chain Tensioners. How big of a deal is it? Some of the articles I've read makes it seem dire. If it is dire, do I replace the chains as well? If so, we're looking at quite a parts bill, let alone the service.

What else? Are there any other areas of concern?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914forme
They are great cars the chain is like the IMS bearing, not all have the issue, but when you do, it goes bad really fast. Interference fit engines.

ECS tuning has a fairly inexpensive kit for the job, only part left out is the lower cover seals. confused24.gif But then the lower cover normally bends on removal so you might want to just grab one of them also.

Beyond that it is typical service work on the latter VWs. The TDIs have the same issues and I spend a lot more than that for timing belt kits and service. You want to see expensive that is what I pay for fluids and filters for my MB, every 10,000 miles. The transmission service is just as much.....

Only other issues I have with bot my rabbit and Eos of that generation, is seat airbags, wiring gets messed up, and triggers the light. VW makes a kit, that works for about 30 minutes, or until you move the seat which ever comes first. Normally only on he pass side.
Beebo Kanelle
Notable features of the EA888 (in real life) are: excellent driveability, easily tuned, chain tensioners that fail, plastic water pumps that fail, hopelessly inept pcv system, extreme intake valve carbon fouling, terrible rear main seal design, injectors that spontaneously fail, unknown engine check lights that the dealer cannot solve, and a myriad of plastic parts that leak or fail, coil packs that fail, cheap connectors that become brittle and break...

I only wish the Germans could have made it more complicated. and, I'm sure they're working on that.

But don't worry, get a real scan tool and you can do a better job of diagnosing and fixing (with practice) - BTW, great looking car
seanery
Plastic water pump! Man, did reading that spur a bunch of online research for me or what! Sounds like a water pump and tensioners would be in my future!

Thanks for the info guys!

I really like this car, and if it pans out to be what it is represented to be I'll drive it home tomorrow!

I've been carless for over a month- I sold my Mercedes GLK and paid off my house a little early. Didn't think not having a car would drive me so batty, as little as I'm at home. But it did, so looking for a cheaper, but still fun car led me to the GTI. I'm actually kinda excited, I haven't had a GTI since '94 or so! I miss the little scooter!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.