Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater control
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
n2j2ryan
Is it possible to change the faceplate for the heater control without changing the entire mechanisms?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ Dec 23 2018, 01:59 PM) *

Is it possible to change the faceplate for the heater control without changing the entire mechanisms?

Chrome rim ? Yes
Black part.....No
PanelBilly
The faceplate on my car looks like crap. Has anyone restored one? Sorry for the hijack
McMark
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 24 2018, 01:30 AM) *

The faceplate on my car looks like crap. Has anyone restored one? Sorry for the hijack

You can definitely refinish them. There are a few tricky pieces. The blue sections are bits of plastic glued in, you can pry them out but they might crack. Same with the white arrows if your year has that -- and BTW, those white arrows are actually glow in the dark material. The red/blue lights can be carefully popped out from the back, the grills painted and the plastic lens cleaned. Mask anything you're not removing, sand the face with a flat sanding block, paint with a flat black.

Here's my blog post about it.

And here's one I did for a 911 with all new blues and new glow in the dark plastic.
mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 24 2018, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 24 2018, 01:30 AM) *

You can definitely refinish them. There are a few tricky pieces. The blue sections are bits of plastic glued in, you can pry them out but they might crack. Same with the white arrows if your year has that -- and BTW, those white arrows are actually glow in the dark material. The red/blue lights can be carefully popped out from the back, the grills painted and the plastic lens cleaned. Mask anything you're not removing, sand the face with a flat sanding block, paint with a flat black.

Here's

And here's one I did for a 911 with all new blues and new glow in the dark plastic.

Wow! I had no idea they could be refinished like this. Thanks for the "how to".
BeatNavy
Mark, (or anyone) have a suggestion for the glow-in-the-dark material for the arrows? I sort of refinished my heater face plate a while back, but I tried to put paint in for the arrows. Looks simply awful.
bbrock
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 24 2018, 06:31 AM) *

Mark, (or anyone) have a suggestion for the glow-in-the-dark material for the arrows? I sort of refinished my heater face plate a while back, but I tried to put paint in for the arrows. Looks simply awful.

You should be able to get glow in the dark paint at any craft and hobby store. I got mine at Michaels (Krylon brand). I still need to rechrome my bezel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have new old stock for the real concours guy

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 23 2018, 11:30 PM) *

PanelBilly
oh boy. Another project to add!
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 24 2018, 06:50 AM) *

we have new old stock for the real concours guy

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 23 2018, 11:30 PM) *

Which ones George? There are 3 versions, '70-'72, '73-'74, '75-'76.
DennisO
I recall someone was selling kit either here or on The Bird that had new labels and plastic pieces to refurb your heater control. I searched both sites now but can't find it. Does anyone recall seeing that ad?

Merry Xmas!
rgalla9146
I'm also interested in a NOS assembly George.
Which do you have and what is the price ?
bbrock
QUOTE(DennisO @ Dec 24 2018, 08:56 AM) *

I recall someone was selling kit either here or on The Bird that had new labels and plastic pieces to refurb your heater control. I searched both sites now but can't find it. Does anyone recall seeing that ad?

Merry Xmas!

I discovered the plastic pieces are about the same thickness as a credit card, so I just cut a few missing pieces out of an old card and painted them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.