Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Front End
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Keeping my eyes open for a 911 front steering and suspension that I can bolt onto my '73 914 - what years fit and what components bolt on - can I use from the steering rack all the way to the brakes or only a sub-section?

Thanks
xsboost90
not sure about the rack and entire front section, but i know you can use spindles etc. My car is a 76 so i have the later ball joints like the 78 sc i got the parts from, so it bolted right together.Early cars may have a different type of ball joint so you may need to switch it out to the later style. Be sure you use the right joints or youll have them come loose on you! I used the entire spindle, caliper rotors and struts, bolted right in. I think you can use the torsion bars if you use the lower arms but not sure. I went w/ a turbo tie rod conversion kit and used the stock rack. wink.gif Worked out great.
Jeroen
yes, you can use the complete front end, including the steering rack

the 911 steering rack is identical to the 914 steering rack, so unless you have a faulty one right now, you don't need it

Same goes for the steel x-member, which is identical for the 911 from '69 through '73
From '74 till '89 the 911 x-member is made from aluminium (but it still fits the 914)
Aaron Cox
up to 89 will bolt in.

74+ had the AL crossmember and the underbody sway....
flesburg
Yes, any year will bolt right up. I have a question though for all of you, because this past winter I took 78 SC struts, rotors and calipers off of our 914 and put on a complete front end from an 87 930. I did not install the 930 rack, retaining the original 914 rack, and I installed new tie rods and ball joints etc. I did use the aluminum cross member.

My question: Has anyone had long term problems with the aluminum cross member when used on the track?

The original steel one seems so much more substantial.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (flesburg @ Jun 20 2005, 01:06 PM)
Has anyone had long term problems with the aluminum cross member when used on the track?

The original steel one seems so much more substantial.

no problems. it does flex a bit.
the steel unit *is* more substantial, and while it's heavier, it's also just about the lowest thing in the car. (IOW - if you make it lighter, you move the CG *up*).

some '73 911RS (production beginning '72) had the aluminum crossmember (still with through-body antiroll bars) and some had the steel versions. obviously the 500 homologation cars originally had the Al member, but it's not clear which others did.
vesnyder
What is the going rate for a complete SC front end?
mack914
paid $600 for my complete '83 SC front end. What a difference it makes on my '72. smilie_pokal.gif
skline
I know of a guy with an 84 SC front end and he wants to sell it for $650.00 I didnt think it was that bad of a deal. I have seen others go for more but some for less.
flesburg
As good a source as any is Oklahoma Salvage. They have a web sight and you can search for used parts.

If all you want is bigger brakes, the M calipers on later model SCs make a great set of front brakes for your 914, and all you really need is the struts, hubs and calipers. They will fit right to your 914 a-arms, and will work fine with a 19mm master cylinder.

We used this set up for 10 years on a DE car.

By the way, if you do not need emergency brakes, your old 914 front calipers can be retro fitted to the rear of your 914 using 914-6 rear rotors with just the addition of a spacer. We have used that rear setup on our DE car for years and we have more rear brake than we need. The fronts must do 90% of the work anyway.
flesburg
I was always under the impression that 83 was the last year for the SC.
John

If all you want is bigger brakes, the M calipers on later model SCs make a great set of front brakes for your 914

Well, I thought the SC's used the "A" Caliper with 3.5" bolt spacing.

The "M" calipers were pre SC and used the 3" bolt centers.

Back on topic,

Nearly any 911 front suspension (up to 1989), will bolt directly into a 914.

I agree with the others, that you only really need the struts, calipers, rotors and hubs. BUT, the other parts could be 10+ years newer than your existing parts and that could be a good thing.

I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a 911 front end. They can be had if you look hard enough for them.
Jeffs9146
I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a 911 front end. They can be had if you look hard enough for them

OK, I will take a complete 89 front end for $400!!

Please send it today! smilie_pokal.gif

Jeff
redshift
I'm in for one also.

Can we get a better deal with a group buy?

laugh.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.