Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bbrock
Click to view attachment

I'm trying to figure out what is supposed to plug the hole the arrow is pointing to. I'm pretty sure I have the right bits in the other holes and they are as follows:

1 - Click to view attachment

2 - Click to view attachment

3 - Click to view attachment

My bet would be that a second drain tube (3) goes in that rear hole but 914rubber only includes one in their full restoration kit. I have a mystery third bumper (1) with an offset post that I thought I harvested from a donor trunk, but maybe it goes in that hole to keep the spare tire elevated slightly off the trunk floor. Anyone know the correct widget for that spot? confused24.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 26 2018, 11:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'm trying to figure out what is supposed to plug the hole the arrow is pointing to. I'm pretty sure I have the right bits in the other holes and they are as follows:

1 - Click to view attachment

2 - Click to view attachment

3 - Click to view attachment

My bet would be that a second drain tube (3) goes in that rear hole but 914rubber only includes one in their full restoration kit. I have a mystery third bumper (1) with an offset post that I thought I harvested from a donor trunk, but maybe it goes in that hole to keep the spare tire elevated slightly off the trunk floor. Anyone know the correct widget for that spot? confused24.gif

Yeah Brent - 2 drain tubes fore & aft at the tire well - where you have #3 & arrowhead in the trunk pic.

Contact Mark or someone at 914Rubber & ask them to send you the missing 2 one, & if they say they only include one, then tell them that a "complete kit" should have both & to update their kits as well.

If you look at the Sahara Beige `73 2L in the "The few the rare..." nailed topic in the O&H Forum (& Dave's red `76 & the others), then you can see where they all go. They're in there for reference on where stuff like plates/labels/stickers, bits-n-pieces go.

See post #29 - not great due to AC/Spare & angle, but you can see the #2 plugs & part of the #1 bumper in the lower right halfway peaking out -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...01921&st=20

Also Jeff Bowlsby's web site has a ton of reference pix for locations of stuff like this & plates, labels, markings - etc.

My early 73 2L's front trunk floor doesn't have a hole at your #2 arrow in your pic, but from Steve's Sahara Beige it looks like a #2.

PS - there is a really good front trunk pic on here showing all the plugs & drain tubes in place, but I've lost my bookmark of it. So if anyone else comes across it, please link it in here for Brent & future O&H reference use.

PSS - Pretty much everything except the 2x #3 & 2x #1 - will be #2 plugs AFAIK & IIRC.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bbrock
Thanks Tom,

I did look through the "few and rare" pics as well as the front trunk topic and the "show me your undies" threads. I just couldn't find a pic to make out exactly what kind of rubber went in those holes as there aren't many pics from the underside and #2 and #3 look very similar from the top side. I recall seeing the reference pic you were talking about and that's what I was looking for but couldn't find it. I also seem to recall a discussion about how many drain tubes there should be and Mark was unaware of the second one, which explains why the kit only has one.

Just an FYI, it doesn't look like the "Complete Restoration Kit" has been updated as new products have been developed so it isn't as complete as it was when they first set it up. I had to order a few additional items that weren't included in the kit like plastic sleeve for wire hold downs, front dash vinyl, white protector rings inside the frunk reinforcements where the harness passes through, plastic seat belt washers etc. The kit is still a good deal, but it would be nice if it were updated to include some of the new stuff they've made so it is "complete" again.
Tom_T
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 27 2018, 11:43 AM) *

Thanks Tom,

I did look through the "few and rare" pics as well as the front trunk topic and the "show me your undies" threads. I just couldn't find a pic to make out exactly what kind of rubber went in those holes as there aren't many pics from the underside and #2 and #3 look very similar from the top side. I recall seeing the reference pic you were talking about and that's what I was looking for but couldn't find it. I also seem to recall a discussion about how many drain tubes there should be and Mark was unaware of the second one, which explains why the kit only has one.

Just an FYI, it doesn't look like the "Complete Restoration Kit" has been updated as new products have been developed so it isn't as complete as it was when they first set it up. I had to order a few additional items that weren't included in the kit like plastic sleeve for wire hold downs, front dash vinyl, white protector rings inside the frunk reinforcements where the harness passes through, plastic seat belt washers etc. The kit is still a good deal, but it would be nice if it were updated to include some of the new stuff they've made so it is "complete" again.

Brent -

I don't know if their kit includes them, but there are also the set of big plastic/rubber hole plugs along the outer front wall behind the front bumper. IIRC 914Rubber also makes repros of them too.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/f...ubber-stopper-1

Here's the front trunk drain tube, but this is still available from Porsche as a genuine part, since it's used as the headlight bucket drain tube in their vaunted 911/912/930 lines. -

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/f...nk-drain-tube-1

I was looking on the various iterations of the 914Rubber websites, cuz I thought that they'd used the front trunk pic showing them both at one time, to say how many are needed (2).

https://shop.914rubber.com/Front-Trunk-Drai...cation-91DT.htm

But no pic of both tubes there either, unless it was at his member vender posts on here? idea.gif

I don't find them in my 2010 914 PET parts manual (must've been in the 2008 or older versions which I have packed away).

You may also be able to find them in the 8 vol. 914 factory shop manual - which you can buy on CD with other docs goodies from AA, but I don't have time to search thru my manuals now.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bbrock
Thanks again Tom. A set of those stoppers are included in the kit and most of my originals are still good, so I'm swimming in them now. smile.gif I just need that other drain tube and a pair of turn signal boots (which are on their way) and my frunk will be hermetically sealed laugh.gif

I checked Sunset's price on the drain tube. It is double what 914Rubber wants so I'll just order another repop.

I have the factory manual on CD so will take a look.

So here's a question for you: is the drain tube supposed to be oriented with the narrow edge forward so it is most streamlined, or wide side forward so air forms a vacuum when the car is moving to suck the water out. I think it is the latter but curious if it is settled law. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
the drains go 90 to allow air to excavate moisture,,
bbrock
One more front trunk hole question. What about the hole behind the latch? IIRC, that's where you can sneak in with the bumper removed to pop the latch if the cable breaks. But was there a rubber plug there? If so, where does one find said plug?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 6 2019, 08:39 PM) *

One more front trunk hole question. What about the hole behind the latch? IIRC, that's where you can sneak in with the bumper removed to pop the latch if the cable breaks. But was there a rubber plug there? If so, where does one find said plug?

Click to view attachment

On my car there is a rubber plug in the front hole, behind the bumper.
So you take off the bumper, remove the plug and stick in a screwdriver to pop the latch.
@bbrock
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2019, 07:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

So you take off the bumper, remove the plug and stick in a screwdriver to pop the latch.
@bbrock

@mepstein Thanks Mark. I looked through my box of frunk parts to make sure I didn't overlook a plug but couldn't find it. Anyone have a pic that would help find a replacement or suitable substitute? The PET isn't very good about showing all these stoppers and plugs. Thanks.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 8 2019, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2019, 07:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@bbrock

@mepstein Thanks Mark. I looked through my box of frunk parts to make sure I didn't overlook a plug but couldn't find it. Anyone have a pic that would help find a replacement or suitable substitute? The PET isn't very good about showing all these stoppers and plugs. Thanks.

I think it was a flat circle or oval head with a little rubber plug. But, it's behind a bolted on bumper. Really, anything should do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.