Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the various years MPS interchangeable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have a couple of these hanging around and I’m not sure if they are all interchangeable or not?

I thought there were some differences between the different systems (1.7 vs 2.0) but wanted to ask. As of now everything is carefully associated with the complete system that was part of.

Thanks!
TravisNeff
Yes they are, you will have to re re calibrate them (I think RacerChris does this) to fit between a 1.7 and a 2.0. I believe that the difference is in the full load stop setting, which is controlled by the screw in the end of the unit behind the epoxy plug
BeatNavy
There are differences. You can generally get a car to start, and run somewhat reasonably, with just about any of them, but it's not a long-term solution or good for your engine.

More than you ever wanted to know about the mighty MPS: https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/manif...sure_sensor.htm
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen.

I assume there is a part number on the body?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 27 2018, 09:48 AM) *

Thanks gentlemen.

I assume there is a part number on the body?

Yes. Typically a Bosch or Porsche/VW part number. You can use this link on the same site to cross reference: https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

If you find a P/N that doesn't match any on that site it probably had another application (e.g., Mercedes) as D-Jet was used in several brands of cars back in the day.
TravisNeff
1.7L 1970 - 1973
VW/Porsche part number: 022 906 051 E
Bosh part number: 0 280 100 049

I was lucky when I got my 2.0 DJET engine, Brad Anders came over to my house and helped me get things running and taught me a whole bunch on DJET!
Tdskip
Thanks guys, appreciate the info!
JeffBowlsby
No, not interchangeable.

For 914 2.0L's there are two different MPS's, and their PNs end in 037 (1973-only), and 043 (1974-76). These are physically the same internally but are calibrated differently for compatibility with their respective ECU's, which are also different.

The 914 1.7L has a single MPS, PN ending in 049. It is physically different internally and calibrated differently, from the 2.0L MPS's for compatibility with the 1.7L ECU's.
Tdskip
Thanks Jeff (and all)
Bleyseng
The only difference to adjusting a early 1.7 one to a 2.0L is the WOT stop ring in the cover. Later 049,037 and 043 MPS's don't have this ring. I suppose you could machine it off and the calibrate the MPS, never done that.
914_teener
Tom,

The MPS that I sold you is correct for a 2.0 and was the MY 74.

It was already calibrated by Jeff and was tested in a 2.0.

It was not setup for a 1.7...... so not interchangeable....unless you re calibrate it.

FWIW...if you need one for a 1.7, I am sure there are a few good ones floating around.

Rob
euro911
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 27 2018, 07:42 AM) *
No, not interchangeable.

For 914 2.0L's there are two different MPS's, and their PNs end in 037 (1973-only), and 043 (1974-76). These are physically the same internally but are calibrated differently for compatibility with their respective ECU's, which are also different.

The 914 1.7L has a single MPS, PN ending in 049. It is physically different internally and calibrated differently, from the 2.0L MPS's for compatibility with the 1.7L ECU's.
Jeff, how do us guys with 1911 motors deal with the 049 MPS issue? I have an Innovate LM-2 AFR meter, so that should help with the adjustment? confused24.gif

I plan to keep the 1.7L FI components but use green 2.0L injectors. I also have a set of 1.8L injectors, but think the 2.0L will be closer than those.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.