Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Upholstery Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
Hey guys,
As I move through various projects in the car, i'm getting closer to re-doing the seats. I have re-upholstered seats in the past so i'm thinking of taking a stab at this myself but am open to someone local also (Pacific Northwest).

I'm having a hard time sourcing the covers for my 1970 (Fixed Passenger side).

I came across these guys but doesn't seem like they have everything I need. http://www.aaaupholster.com/porsche-914.html

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone! Hope you guys had a good holiday!

(Santa brought me new Sun Visors and a Carpet Kit!)Click to view attachment
tvdinnerbythepool
pax side
914Sixer
914Rubber can fix you up.
Mike Fitton
Looks like you have a late '70 that has the 1 year only '71 heavy grained vinyl.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that upholstery looks more like 1971 than 70. 70 had the stacked brick insert and rough pebble grained vinyl. 71 (like the one pictures) is leather like naugahyde. Check your vehicle id number and if it starts with 47129 it is a 71 and that is the correct vinyl. We have the naugahyde and make the kits.

If it truly is a 70 (47029) then you need a completely different kit that is 1970 ONLY consisting of the pebble grained smooth with the stacked bricks insert

QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Dec 29 2018, 06:57 AM) *

Hey guys,
As I move through various projects in the car, i'm getting closer to re-doing the seats. I have re-upholstered seats in the past so i'm thinking of taking a stab at this myself but am open to someone local also (Pacific Northwest).

I'm having a hard time sourcing the covers for my 1970 (Fixed Passenger side).

I came across these guys but doesn't seem like they have everything I need. http://www.aaaupholster.com/porsche-914.html

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone! Hope you guys had a good holiday!

(Santa brought me new Sun Visors and a Carpet Kit!)Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Yup- that is the '71 interior style.
tvdinnerbythepool
How very interesting!

Checked the Vin plate as well as the door and it starts with 47029 built in 6/70.

Seems a little early in the year for them to transition into 71 interior....

What do you guys think??? I'd like it to be period correct if it isn't so I would want 70 design.

I love this about 914's, never a dull moment and always on the hunt!
mepstein
Could have been switched in the last 50 years. Takes 20 minutes to switch out the seats and backpad.

What do the door cards look like?
tvdinnerbythepool
Could I reuse the seats and backpad I have and just recover in the correct material or was there a design change between 70-71?

Thanks guys -Rob
tvdinnerbythepool
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2018, 08:13 AM) *

Could have been switched in the last 50 years. Takes 20 minutes to switch out the seats and backpad.

p.s. Gauges cleaned painted and installed, thanks again!
mepstein
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Dec 29 2018, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2018, 08:13 AM) *

p.s. Gauges cleaned painted and installed, thanks again!

Most ‘70 door cards were 2 piece but there was never an exact point where these cars transitioned from one year to the next. VW and Porsche would take parts off the shelf for installation until they were gone and then use the new stuff. Dealers would also swap interiors and wheels on the lot to suit a buyers preference.

You can definitely use your existing back pad and seat for the reupholster.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup interior was switched or recovered at one time

QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Dec 29 2018, 09:09 AM) *

How very interesting!

Checked the Vin plate as well as the door and it starts with 47029 built in 6/70.

What do you guys think??? I'd like it to be period correct if it isn't so I would want 70 design.

Mike Fitton
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 29 2018, 09:06 AM) *

How very interesting!

I disagree the car is a late enough build that it could have gotten the '71 material installed. Why would someone reupholster a '70 car with exact material used in a '71 doesn't make sense. Let's see a picture of the bottom of the seat cushions, the staples will tell the story.
tvdinnerbythepool
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 29 2018, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 29 2018, 09:06 AM) *

How very interesting!

I disagree the car is a late enough build that it could have gotten the '71 material installed. Why would someone reupholster a '70 car with exact material used in a '71 doesn't make sense. Let's see a picture of the bottom of the seat cushions, the staples will tell the story.

r_towle
World upholstery, google them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.