Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T.: Best Oil Filter for your other cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
Folks,

Thought I'd share this oil filter comparison for your other cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNJLEV8CG8
Mark Henry
Yep, Fram is total junk. I used to be a HP-1 lemming and while they do have a heavier can it's still the same junk media inside.

I use Napa gold (1521) on type 4 and for FF remote filter adaptors, 911 and the 996 filter conversion. Mahle, Mann or Bosch are 2nd choice, they're still good filters at a bit cheaper price.
I'd also put Wix on the list, but they're not a common brand here.

I used to use cheap fram's for break-in, my logic was it was only going to be used for 20-30 minutes to a max of 500 miles. Then I had a POS fram spit out the O-ring seal, sending a stream of oil that hit the 12' ceiling and the wall 32' away, hosing 3 cars in the process. The pressure actually bent mount plate of the filter, never made that mistake again. barf.gif

bbrock
I've always bought OEM filters for whatever car it was for if I could get them at my FLAPS, with Wix being my backup choice. Might be smarter just to start using Wix all the time. I never understood how Fram gets away with that crap. Seems like there should be some industry standard certification that their filters don't meet. I won't even buy their cabin filters because I don't trust the brand in general.
michael7810
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2018, 05:23 PM) *

Yep, Fram is total junk. I used to be a HP-1 lemming and while they do have a heavier can it's still the same junk media inside.

I use Napa gold (1521) on type 4 and for FF remote filter adaptors, 911 and the 996 filter conversion. Mahle, Mann or Bosch are 2nd choice, they're still good filters at a bit cheaper price.
I'd also put Wix on the list, but they're not a common brand here.

I used to use cheap fram's for break-in, my logic was it was only going to be used for 20-30 minutes to a max of 500 miles. Then I had a POS fram spit out the O-ring seal, sending a stream of oil that hit the 12' ceiling and the wall 32' away, hosing 3 cars in the process. The pressure actually bent mount plate of the filter, never made that mistake again. barf.gif

I believe that Wix makes the Napa Gold filter...at least the #1374 I use on my 914. I use Porsche or Subaru on the rest of my cars..
mepstein
Funny, I thought I was cheaping out with the Napa gold. There is a Napa distribution warehouse down the road so I was going for convenience since they always had stock.
90quattrocoupe
I use Mann or Mahle. Good filters for my German cars.

Most of time I run OEM. I have been going to the same Audi/VW/Porsche dealership since about 1982. I have gone there so much over the years, that I have a employee discount. Most of the time the filter and oil costs me less at the dealership.

I used to run a Fram HP1 on my type I back in the 70s, but have not run one on any of my cars since then.

Greg W.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Dec 29 2018, 08:11 PM) *

I believe that Wix makes the Napa Gold filter...at least the #1374 I use on my 914. I use Porsche or Subaru on the rest of my cars..

Yes, Wix and Napa Gold is the same filter.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2018, 08:28 PM) *

Funny, I thought I was cheaping out with the Napa gold. There is a Napa distribution warehouse down the road so I was going for convenience since they always had stock.

Napa gold are good filters, the LN Engineering 996 filter adaptors and IMS Solution kits use a Napa gold corvette filter.
jfort
LN Engineering recommends NAPA Gold for my 997.1
IronHillRestorations
NAPA gpld, mainly because it's the closest FLAPS
Rand
All "other" cars need the same filtration. Unless you are racing and tearing your engine down for a rebuild after each run, you need good filtration. You are getting some good input. Just don't do a K&N or some flaps "high flow" bling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.