Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog Light Size Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
isdyl
Hi - I'm still getting my '73 1.7 914 ready for the road and it is missing the front fog lights. Over here in the uk original parts are quite hard to come by, but I found these on ebay which look about the right size:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Chrome-Drivi...UJSkO:rk:2:pf:1

The seller says that the glass part is 110mm diameter. I wondered if anyone has one of the original lights available to measure please? Do you think these ebay ones will be suitable? I'm not too bothered about originality - I just want it to look approximately ok. Thanks.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
The lights you linked to might be too deep, not a whole lot of room behind the grill.
isdyl
Thats great - thanks. I'll have read through. D
isdyl
Ok I've had a measure up and I'm going to go for a set - cheap enough anyway.

Product Dimensions (mm): H 155 x W 110 x D 65

From one of the links above a depth of 2 5/8" works and that is 66.6mm. I'll post a photo when they're fitted.
76-914
The last time that I posted this it drew the ire from the CCW's, not to mention Cap'n Crusty, may his sole rest in Peace. The claim is they blind oncoming drivers to which I respond "Horse Shit Sailor"! Given you adjust them, their placement our cars sit so low they'd blind only a Go Kart or a squirrel.
I installed these in 2012 to fill the holes while I rebuilt the OEM ones. They're still in there today and the OEM ones are still on the shelf if that tells you anything. Then there is the price appeal for the guy on a "shoe string" budget. IIRC, I paid $9.00 each for these. The only alteration I did was to oval out the bolt hole about 1/4" / 6mm. Here is the link. https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch...ility+light+12v

And this is how they look installed on the car

Click to view attachment
isdyl
$9 is great value - & they look pretty good! Maybe I could get away with cheaper ones, but I've ordered those others now - I'll see how they fit.
tomeric914
I bought these a while back and they are the first LED lights I've had that actually work and fit in the stock location. $22 for the pair I think. Not sure if they are still available though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAR0S2...=UTF8&psc=1

Click to view attachment
isdyl
Hi - well these lights have showed up and I've been messing around making brackets for a while. They really need mounting about 5mm lower but that would involve cutting out some of the fibreglass front valence behind the bumper. Could I have your opinion whether I should bother doing that or if they look ok as they are please?
Chi-town
Can you trim the mounting bracket for the light rather than the valance?
isdyl
I don't think so. It's either trim the valence or leave as is.
Spoke
They look fine the way they are. Your picture is taken at near road level which most would view them from 3-5 meters away and about 1.5 meters high. The alternative is a lot of work for 5mm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.