Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An original GT!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4557420437

Check out these "original" GT flares. This must be the long lost four cylinder GT!!!

EDIT: fixed the link for 'ya ...
Eric_Shea
Linky no worky?
william harris
Linky on the blinky wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 20 2005, 08:50 AM)
Linky no worky?

takes me to microsoft.... ohmy.gif
736conver
I think this is the one he wanted to linky

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4557420437
seanery
that is a very weird car wacko.gif
ninefourteener
Oh you've got to be shitting me!!! biggrin.gif

$4500???????
STARTING PRICE!!?????

chairfall.gif
MoveQik
Thanks for fixing the link. I never get that part right.
redshift
laugh.gif ROFLMAO!

Someone email the owner... quick... what a bunch of crap!

M
URY914
If anyones wants me to do a PPI, I'm about 2 hours away from there.

Paul rolleyes.gif
balljoint
"At times 1st gear can give you trouble."

Crap I backed into the garage door again...oh yeah...down and to the left.

Interesting Targa Bar treatment, I haven't seen that before.
Gustl
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jun 20 2005, 05:42 PM)
This must be the long lost four cylinder GT!!!

there is something like an original 4-cyl GT in Austria

Porsche Salzburg raced at least one 914-6 GT at a few rallyes
but they also converted a '70 914-4 with the factory GT package to a full equiped 914-6 GT and used it as a training car
it has a 47029xxxxx VIN and all the goodies like the 906 engine, front oil cooler, steel flares, roll cage, and, and, and ...

no race history, but a T-car history biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl @ Jun 20 2005, 10:46 AM)
but they also converted a '70 914-4 with the factory GT package

i have been wondering about this for a while ...

what would have prevented someone to use the factory m471 package to upgrade a 4-cyl. car?

and if they did, how would that car be treated today?
idea.gif Andy
TravisNeff
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 20 2005, 09:52 AM)
what would have prevented someone to use the factory m471 package to upgrade a 4-cyl. car?

and if they did, how would that car be treated today?
idea.gif Andy

Like a NARP, of course! heh.
Bleyseng
that red car makes me barf.gif
type47
special GT jack

special GT louvered engine lid and GT rear window delete

special GT body colored headlight motors

hopped up GT 1.7 with FI delete and single carb

smilie_pokal.gif
GWN7
It would be interesting to see if the roll/targa bar is functional. That is to see if they tied the cage to anything lower down or just weded it to the sheet metal.
GWN7
QUOTE (type47 @ Jun 20 2005, 10:59 AM)

special GT body colored headlight motor

You left out:

Special GT painted wireing

Special GT painted trunk springs

ect rolleyes.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif
bjorn jacobson
The rear flares look something like the ones on Manfred Sommers car. Take a look on Armandos site.

I like them on the rear but the fronts look a little goofy.

mskala
I think he just drove it into the paint vat. Painted
headlight motors and shock nuts?!
Eddie Williams
Notice he didn't say original flares, but "originally purchased flared fenders". lol
MoveQik
QUOTE (Eddie Williams @ Jun 20 2005, 04:41 PM)
Notice he didn't say original flares, but "originally purchased flared fenders". lol

Right. And I have some "originally purchased" plastic center caps for my wheels.
MecGen
Hey
I don't think the guy that is selling it, is his...
This is not bad for 4500$ if you like the look...not.
but obviously someone put some time int o this, ass long as its not a rust bucket under...a ppi is in order.
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
Like what's his hole the "Insult Dog" would say....I would buy it so I could poop on it.....then burn the fuching thing....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 20 2005, 01:52 PM)

good question, but that comes back to - where were the M471 flares and faired valences installed and painted? at Zuffenhausen, where the rest of the 914.6's were assembled? or at Karmann in Ingolstadt?

was the 914.6 M471 package (which included 7 & 8" Fuchs and spacers...) available for 914/4?

i'd guess any 914/4 would be a rare sight in Zuffenhausen, but of course any dealer would have been able to order up a set of flares as parts...

anybody know for sure?
Gustl
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 21 2005, 04:44 AM)
was the 914.6 M471 package (which included 7 & 8" Fuchs and spacers...) available for 914/4?

anybody know for sure?

originally the M471 package only was available in 1971 and '72 for the 914-6
btw - it included 185/70 15 tires on 6x15 rims with spacers

but I also know a couple of 914-4 with steel flares, wider 4 lug rims and the front spoiler which make them look like M471
in my opinion they're nothing special, but if the owner likes it - why not ?
ConeDodger
Did anyone run that VIN? It does appear to have its ignition key on the dash to the left of the column. I could be wrong but it kind of looks like it in one picture. That is a 6 thing though right? Not really a GT thing...

Rob
Gint
That's not an ignition switch. It a switch (like a fog light switch), without the shaft installed.
dflesburg
Where was that thing restored? Mexico City? Johnman and I once saw a 911 in the infield at Mid Ohio that had been painted with latex and a brush by a child and it looked better.

Are there no rules about this kind of BS?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Jun 21 2005, 07:43 AM)
Are there no rules about this kind of BS?

there are! thanks for asking. here they are:

1) it's your car, do what you want.
2) do your homework, and know what you're looking at.
3) if you don't like it, don't buy it.
Dead Air
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jun 20 2005, 11:06 AM)
That is to see if they tied the cage to anything lower down or just weded it to the sheet metal.

[QUOTE]

The only sheetmetal I see is in the doors biggrin.gif
CptTripps
I saw this one the other day and just laughed...

My favorite part is the targa bar...that is a riot.
SteveL
I emailed the seller telloing him that they were not original flares, here is the response I got:

Dear mn914,

this is a dealer installed fiberglass original with purchase fenders. This was told to us by the past original owner of the car. Also, S. Miller, expert and world renowed on porsches who has written many many books on porsche has stated the same. The aftermarket or after purchase of car fenders that are flared are metal. THESE ARE ORIGIANL FIBER GLASS. This is all I know about the car along with they are far and few in between.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SteveL @ Jun 21 2005, 10:14 AM)
THESE ARE ORIGIANL FIBER GLASS.

where's that "clueless" smilie ?

"S. Miller" - that'd be Susann Miller, i suppose. got a few Porsche books to her credit, mostly as editor. recognised expert on *early* (356-era) marketing materials.

i wonder if she knows she's being used as a reference to authenticate glass flares as original ...

i bet i can track her down through the 356 list - this could get really interesting...
ninefourteener
Ok...... so either the PO lied his ass off to this guy..... and he was dumb enough to believe it..

Or...... he's full of shit, and making this up.

Either way.... I'd say a significant pimp-slap is definately in order biggrin.gif
CptTripps
I love it when this type of thing happens...

user posted image
URY914
Susann Miller lives in South West Florida (Naples) I think. Which is where the car is.

I don't think she knows about this car. rolleyes.gif

Paul
rick 918-S
Special 1972 GT bumper tits! ohmy.gif That's like X rated! wacko.gif X-tra BAD! screwy.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 21 2005, 11:17 AM)
Susann Miller lives in South West Florida (Naples) I think. Which is where the car is.

a friend on the 356 list made the email introduction, and have made the inquiry.
we will see...
SteveL
OK - here's the latest update from this guy:

My response to his earlier email:
1st – Fiberglass flares were NEVER a dealer option. Sttel flares were installed by Porsche for the factory GT cars, or customers could purchase, through the dealer, steel flares as part of the M471 option/package.

2nd – ALL GT cars were 6 cylinder cars

Please provide a certificate of authenticity if this is truly a factory GT, as it is worth over $100,000.

His Response:
I was told just the oppostie about the fenders by a leading author of porsche books. This is all I know.
ArtechnikA
well - i just got a very nice response from Susann Miller, who does recall having seen the car. i'm sure Susann is quite the expert on the subjects she's written about, especially with the research fresh. however - IMO her 914 knowledge has a few gaps... i'll try to mention this discretely to her if we're able to meet during Parade this week.

she is probably the source for the (mis)information that the glass flares were factory parts... she does agree that the PO was misinformed when he claimed that they were factory installed.

if you check out the current status of "questions to seller" you'll see that the guy is truly clueless (IMO of course...) and not interested in hearing any information that would contradict his preconceived notion of "reality."

i think it *could* be an interesting and fun sunbelt car but IMO it's starting out at least $1000 overpriced...
MoveQik
This is getting pretty interesting. I originally just posted it to make fun of the guy and the car. You guys are good! beerchug.gif
redshift
Those flares look like a really, really bad boob job.

M
MoveQik
Glass, steel...who cares what they are. Either way one look tells you they aren't even close to the factory flares. Funny that the seller and his "expert" can't see that. screwy.gif
ArtechnikA
the problem with "expertise" is that the field is so huge. you want to be "The Expert" on All Things Porsche, you start with 1500+ page Excellence Was Expected and then go read another couple hundred references. (and you can still be blindsided by a particular car that might have been the subject of a production-line experiment, or a special order, or simply a mistake...)

i'm pretty much clueless on 968's, for example. i would hate to think that due to whatever level of expertise i am percieved to have in the 914.6/LH 911 area an offhand remark i might make about a 968 i happen to see as "The Pronouncement Of The Expert."

so - Susann is well-known and respected in her field - which is not 914's.
URY914
I'm an expert in my field.
It's just the field is so damn small.

The seller has no clue and the car is overpriced.

Boy there's somin' new. rolleyes.gif

Paul
URY914
"so I begin most of the time from second gear. Could be just an adjustment - have not checked it out. Otherwise mechanically fine"

No problem there. I bet he doesn't know where first gear is. biggrin.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.