Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Switch Restoration for a 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
Hi All,

The turn signal (or as we say indicator) switch on my car is packing up (very 'rough/notchy' when moved), and i need someone to look at it (assuming it's economical to repair).

There are no direct replacements for a -6 switch so i'm wondering if anyone can advise on the following options:

1) Will a 911 switch from the same period (1970) make a direct replacement (is the wiring harness connections the same ? I know the indicator arm has a different number)

or

2) Will a VW part work?

or

3) Can anyone advise if someone in the US can repair these?

Thanks

Chris
sithot
If you're asking about a turn signal switch; from my experience, nobody in the US uses them.
Biggles
QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 2 2019, 03:36 PM) *

If you're asking about a turn signal switch; from my experience, nobody in the US uses them.

ok changed the post heading.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we use an early (69-73) 911 switch and change the wire end on it. Works perfectly

QUOTE(Biggles @ Jan 2 2019, 08:19 AM) *

Hi All,

The turn signal (or as we say indicator) switch on my car is packing up (very 'rough/notchy' when moved), and i need someone to look at it (assuming it's economical to repair).

There are no direct replacements for a -6 switch so i'm wondering if anyone can advise on the following options:

1) Will a 911 switch from the same period (1970) make a direct replacement (is the wiring harness connections the same ? I know the indicator arm has a different number)

or

2) Will a VW part work?

or

3) Can anyone advise if someone in the US can repair these?

Thanks

Chris

914Sixer
Jeff Bowlsby may still work on them. Might be as simple as some lube and new springs
Retroracer
QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 2 2019, 07:36 AM) *

lol-2.gif

That's cheered up my Monday.

- Tony
Biggles
Ok cheers all, think it’s more than a lube up job though. I’ll take a look when off the car and drop Jeff a line
fixer34
QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 2 2019, 09:36 AM) *

Maybe they're just low on blinker fluid....?
Retroracer
QUOTE(Biggles @ Jan 3 2019, 10:51 AM) *

Ok cheers all, think it’s more than a lube up job though. I’ll take a look when off the car and drop Jeff a line

But seriously Chris, the indicator mechanisms rely on a lot on plastics/nylon moldings to operate smoothly which - if original - have now all seen forty summers at least. By all means see if its salvageable, but as George points suggests, I'd seriously look into replacing the mechanism.

Just went through the same dilemma on my car - wanted to preserve as much original stuff on the vehicle as possible, so cleaned and lubed the mechanism; but the indicator lever seized after a few months of light use - the plastics had started to crumble. The new replacement works great - just wish I only needed to visit that task once!

- Tony
Biggles
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 4 2019, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Biggles @ Jan 3 2019, 10:51 AM) *

But seriously Chris, the indicator mechanisms rely on a lot on plastics/nylon moldings to operate smoothly which - if original - have now all seen forty summers at least. By all means see if its salvageable, but as George points suggests, I'd seriously look into replacing the mechanism.

Just went through the same dilemma on my car - wanted to preserve as much original stuff on the vehicle as possible, so cleaned and lubed the mechanism; but the indicator lever seized after a few months of light use - the plastics had started to crumble. The new replacement works great - just wish I only needed to visit that task once!

- Tony

flag.gif

Cheers Tony, you’re probably right but I won’t know until I get to look at the lever closely. Like George, Jeff also confirmed the 911 switch would work if it has to come to that, but I won’t want the lever and connections as well. Is it fairly intuitive as to which of the -6 wiring goes where on the 911 switch? Guess it’s all fairly similar from that era?
rgalla9146
The wiring and wire color codes are the same.
You'll only be grafting the 914 6 wire ends/ plug onto the 911 switch.
As I recall the harness for the 914 6 switch is unnecessarily long.
Biggles
I've managed to now get my turn signal switch off and whilst all looks fine, clearly something is wrong/worn in the mechanism. Although with the main spring removed it works much easier.

Looking at '69-'73 911 switches, it doesnt seem that the new switches are the same as the old ones (different arm and mechanism body). Is that true or am i looking in the wrong place?

Attached pics. are of 911 old and new switches.
914Sixer
Replacement 911 are different animals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.