Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lexan Front Window
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cali914
Anyone using Lexan Front Window on the street? What is the visibility factor? and how long do they last? Is there a company that makes them or just go to tap plastics? Thanks
73-914
Not legal for street use
wndsrfr
QUOTE(cali914 @ Jan 2 2019, 08:41 PM) *

Anyone using Lexan Front Window on the street? What is the visibility factor? and how long do they last? Is there a company that makes them or just go to tap plastics? Thanks

Don't do it...wipers will scratch the hell out of them in short order as will even careful cleaning. Electrostatic nature picks up dust & makes cleaning more frequently necessary, then microscopic scratches pick up sunlight & make bothersome glare. I've got it on the track car & can tolerate it as I'm supercharged with fear & stuff in my field of vision sort of disappears.... driving.gif
burton73
Why would you want to do that?

Bob B
cali914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 3 2019, 03:28 PM) *

Bob B

Weight savings . I appreciate the suggestions . Thanks guys. I'm at 1900lbs now just looking at other ways of losing weight. I have already cut out meat from my diet LOL.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(cali914 @ Jan 3 2019, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 3 2019, 03:28 PM) *

Bob B

Weight savings . I appreciate the suggestions . Thanks guys. I'm at 1900lbs now just looking at other ways of losing weight. I have already cut out meat from my diet LOL.

Crazy Harry. Love it. So you're at 1900 lbs with a water-cooled V6. Not bad at all. You still have steel lids and bumpers? What battery are you running? After that, the next 10, 20, 40, etc pounds are gonna get costly…

But the car has to be a beast. Who needs a V8? happy11.gif
sithot
Rest of the glass is ok to swap out. A friend did this to his 911 auto-x car back in the late 70’s in search of weight savings. He changed all glass except the windshield The back window as made in an oven using the original to acquire the curve.
FWIW: He had FTD in sight at the Porsche Parade in ‘81. Duncan Powers quelled that hope with his 908.

Good luck!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 4 2019, 02:37 AM) *

Rest of the glass is ok to swap out. A friend did this to his 911 auto-x car back in the late 70’s in search of weight savings. He changed all glass except the windshield The back window as made in an oven using the original to acquire the curve.
FWIW: He had FTD in sight at the Porsche Parade in ‘81. Duncan Powers quelled that hope with his 908.

Good luck!

^ Yep. Been wondering what the weight savings would be if the 914's four door windows and flat rear window might be if rendered in Gorilla Glass. That stuff seems to avoid the downsides of Lexan, which is of course lighter but super scratch prone.
campbellcj
I may become really interested in a slick lightweight door-window solution soon, as I am contemplating putting my car (back) into a more streetable hotrod configuration. Right now it has a stock glass windshield but lexan rear and completely gutted doors; no glass, lifts, handles, pockets, etc. A simple sliding lexan or gorilla glass setup giving a semblance of weather and sound insulation would be neat and if nothing is commercially out there, I may give it a go. I have all the original door/window bits in storage to work with.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 4 2019, 01:17 PM) *

Good luck!

^ Yep. Been wondering what the weight savings would be if the 914's four door windows and flat rear window might be if rendered in Gorilla Glass. That stuff seems to avoid the downsides of Lexan, which is of course lighter but super scratch prone.

I keep finding myself saying this, but I think Mark Whitesell told me they were making a 5 window Lexan kit. 914rubber.com
Is this the Honda mini van motored 914 I saw at EASY?

@mikey914
cali914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 5 2019, 07:43 AM) *

Good luck!

I keep finding myself saying this, but I think Mark Whitesell told me they were making a 5 window Lexan kit. 914rubber.com

@mikey914

Yes but it is getting a new ❤️. The new heart is a 2.4 liter GM ecotec turbo engine.
Mikey914

Good luck!

@mikey914

We can easily make the flat version, and can make a formed one, but it’s a matter of demand. I’ve been more focused on the parts that are more in demand. I’ve got about a dozen new parts that we just need to launch. Hopefully I’ll be wrapping up the training the 20th.

To be clear the Lexan is NOT the way to go for a street rod.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(cali914 @ Jan 6 2019, 03:26 AM) *

Good luck!

@mikey914

Yes but it is getting a new ❤️. The new heart is a 2.4 liter GM ecotec turbo engine.

Love your outside the box thinking!
mlmgm
For my street/track project I purchased a Lexan windshield from Five Star Race Car Bodies:

http://www.fivestarbodies.com/store/index....duct&id=793

For the four side glass pieces, I got them from Plastics 4 Performance out of the UK:

https://www.plastics4performance.com/window...9&model=427

I bought the rear window from our friends at 914rubber:

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/9...ement-1970-1976

I was thinking of applying a windshield tearoff for some longevity.
Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Or um, no glass. Probably not an option.

Click to view attachment

Hope this comes out ok.
1600 pounds...
Mikey914
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Jan 6 2019, 12:04 PM) *

Or um, no glass. Probably not an option.

Click to view attachment

Hope this comes out ok.
1600 pounds...

Well in that configuration you don’t have too many other options
cali914
QUOTE(mlmgm @ Jan 6 2019, 11:27 AM) *

For my street/track project I purchased a Lexan windshield from Five Star Race Car Bodies:

http://www.fivestarbodies.com/store/index....duct&id=793

For the four side glass pieces, I got them from Plastics 4 Performance out of the UK:

https://www.plastics4performance.com/window...9&model=427

I bought the rear window from our friends at 914rubber:

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/9...ement-1970-1976

I was thinking of applying a windshield tearoff for some longevity.
Click to view attachment

Thanks that looks really good. What is the longevity you think?
Dave_Darling
About one cycle of the windshield wipers... wink.gif

--DD
GregAmy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 7 2019, 11:02 AM) *

About one cycle of the windshield wipers... wink.gif

Yep.

I've used them on a race-only car, and it's not worth it for the street: poor visibility, easily scratched, not as safe as safety glass*, and , bottom line, illegal for street use. The compromises just aren't worth the minimal weight savings (this is a street car, after all).

Greg

* I took one HELL of a hit to the windshield of my GTI just this last week. Not quite sure what it was, as it was dark, but something came off the roofing truck I was passing and bounced right at my face. Was about the size of a 4 pound sledge hammer and left a fist-sized divot in the safety glass.

And when I mean "right at my face", I mean right at my face; it's right in the middle of my line of sight looking forward. I would not have wanted a 1/4" piece of polycarbonate in front of me last week...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.