Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: when is it too hot to drive a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
we have a little bit of a heat wave going on in denver this week. it is suposed to be in the mid 90's all week. because i only sit inches from the road, that's hot enough for me to garage it. (i'm fortunate enough to have a choice)
just curious what the tolerance level is for the rest of you (w/o a/c)? idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jun 20 2005, 10:33 AM)
just curious what the tolerance level is for the rest of you (w/o a/c)? idea.gif

no AC on my car, i have driven in 100+ weather. just leave the top on and roll down both windows ...

no problem driving in the heat. just watch your engine temps ...

AC is for wussies ...
biggrin.gif Andy
gklinger
AC is for wussies ...

Low 90s... sheesh... Up until last December, mine has been my daily driver for the last 6 years, in Phoenix heat - 100+ all summer... but it's a dry heat.

ClayPerrine
WUSS!!!!!!

I drove an un-airconditioned 74 Corvette to work today. The tunnel in that plastic pig gets hot enough to make a grilled cheese sammich on, and the high temp here today is supposesd to be over 100!!! My left leg gets cooked on the way home from work in that thing.

Normally one of us drives a 914 to work, but it's got AC.

(Betty's car pulled an exhaust stud on the left head, so the engine is out and the head is getting repaired, so I have to drive the plastic Pig.)

For Sale: 1974 Corvette. L-82 Automatic. Very nice exterior. Runs and drives great. Needs AC fixed and interior work.

TROJANMAN
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 20 2005, 09:38 AM)
WUSS!!!!!!

agree.gif
haha

i guess i shoud have started my question with "given a choice............."
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 20 2005, 11:35 AM)
AC is for wussies ...
biggrin.gif Andy

finger.gif flipa.gif

Andy,

Anytime you want to come to Texas and drive rush hour traffic in North Dallas on a 100+ degree day with no AC just let me know.

Why do they call it "rush hour" when nothing moves?

ArtechnikA
too soon to tell; it's only seen 115F so far.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 20 2005, 09:41 AM)

Andy,

Anytime you want to come to Texas and drive rush hour traffic in North Dallas on a 100+ degree day with no AC just let me know.

that was more or less the spirit of the question. and sometimes leaving the top on helps keep things cooler ( imean, not as hot).
grantsfo
Depends on humidity. 100 during monsoon season in AZ is terrible. 105 during dry time of the year is pretty comfortable. Also it depends on terrain etc. Lots of trees makes hot weather much nicer as there is less radiated heat from the pavement.
SirAndy
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 20 2005, 10:41 AM)

BTDT (well, not in tex-ass) ...

sweating is good for you, right? your own little mobile swedish sauna!
beerchug.gif Andy
MoveQik
I'll drive mine all summer long. I thought that I would garage it once it got really hot but I haven't been able to resist driving it. I thought my Tahoe would remain my daily driver and the 914 would come out on the weekends when the weather was nice. Instead, my 914 is the daily driver and the Tahoe only comes out when I have client stuff to do. The only problem so far is sunburned forehead. When did my hair slide back so far??

More fun to drive AND better mileage! beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
my limit is around 105, driving, not driving, whatever... mostly because I don't feel like going ANYWHERE at that point...

low 90's? I'm still wearing Jeans at that point! take the top off, roll the windows down and GO! wear sunscreen though...

btw, I never had A/C until I graduated college. and you think the teener is HOT?! drive a BLACK pickup in 120 deg weather! plus, one window wouldn;t roll down consistantly(electrical gremlin) usually if it did roll down, it wouldn't go back up... dry.gif it DID have the pivoting little corner windows though... at 70mph, that's gud!

beer.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 20 2005, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 20 2005, 10:41 AM)

BTDT (well, not in tex-ass) ...

sweating is good for you, right? your own little mobile swedish sauna!
beerchug.gif Andy

Before I tore my 914 down to do the /6 conversion, I drove it to work every day without AC. Of course I went to work at 6 am before it got really hot. After getting home, I would take a shower to wash off the sweat. I don't need the sauna every day. With AC in the car, you have a choice.

I believe it's NEVER too hot or too cold to drive a 914. Nor is it too rainy or too snowy. So, my opinion (and you know what they say... opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they are all full of shit.) just drive the damn thing!!!!

biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
105-110 is about tops, well I did drive a teener down here all summer, monsoon season and all. 20 miles each way in stop and go traffic (1 hour) blacktop on the freeway must have been 140 degrees.

It wasn't the fact it was hot, it was the fact that I stunk like burnt oil and sweat for the rest of the day. It's nice to have the salty sweat rings on your clothes at work.
grantsfo
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jun 20 2005, 09:50 AM)
I'll drive mine all summer long.  I thought that I would garage it once it got really hot but I haven't been able to resist driving it.  I thought my Tahoe would remain my daily driver and the 914 would come out on the weekends when the weather was nice.  Instead, my 914 is the daily driver and the Tahoe only comes out when I have client stuff to do.  The only problem so far is sunburned forehead.  When did my hair slide back so far??

More fun to drive AND better mileage! beerchug.gif

When I lived in Scottsdale I had the fine art of AC on with top down perfected! and if you work long hours youre on the road before it gets real hot and leave as the sun is going down.
xsboost90
anything under 50mph is too hot for me biggrin.gif
Brando
I drive the teener every day in all weather.

Air conditioning? That would be a removable top and heaters.

Now, one of them thar fancy shindings with a compressor and evaporator is a bit too upscale and heavy for a real sports car like a 914 smile.gif
anthony
You guys would call me a wuss but I don't enjoy being hot and sweaty in a 914 on slow moving traffic. 85-90 degs is about the max I'm willing to tolerate. It also of course depends on the humidity and where I'm going. A ride to the beach in the 914 on a weekend when you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt is one thing, but if I've got to get to work or somewhere where I'm supposed to look half way presentable I'll choose the nice A/C in the VW Jetta over the 914.

Greg Bell
It is about 90 here in Middle Ga, seems O.K. to me.
redshift
There IS NOTHING worse than a mid-year vette for summer driving.. wink.gif Clay has it easy.

I get uncomfortable above 50ยบ F.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE (anthony @ Jun 20 2005, 11:30 AM)
if I've got to get to somewhere where I'm supposed to look half way presentable I'll choose the nice A/C

headbang.gif now you tell me!

i never managed to look "half way presentable". must have been the missing AC!
biggrin.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 20 2005, 10:02 AM)
[QUOTE= just drive the damn thing!!!!

biggrin.gif

IDONNO, hot going to event. passenger windo 1/4 open Driver window full open. Put your hand out the window just a smidge to direct air flow in the car. As long as you are moving life is GUD.
Top on is cooler that top off. Well unless you are a chick with big boobs biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I drove mine throught the Mojave desert in Aug. Muy calore! I had to do 90 mph on the old 395 to keep enough air flowing over the engine. If I slowed it would start to miss and loose power. If I stopped I had to keep on the gas or it would die and not start until it cooled.......which takes a long time in 100+ heat in the desert.
TravisNeff
The airflow affect is great for drying off. Usually I am dry when I get to my destination. But anything that touches the seat, butt, legs and back are completely wet. Looks like I passed out back to the ground and pissed myself.

I tried recovering my seat bottom with solid vinyl instead of basketweave once. I got to work and got up, there was a puddle of sweat on the seat. El Grosso! Switched to fabric and it wasn't so bad.
eg914
I drive mine to work every day (almost), rain or shine, hot or cool. Gets to the low hunreds here. Top on and windows down works best.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 20 2005, 09:57 AM)
low 90's? I'm still wearing Jeans at that point!

i didn't expect anything less from a texan. lol2.gif
Lyressa Roberts
It's only too hot to drive the 914 if your sitting still... hehehe... laugh.gif
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 20 2005, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 20 2005, 11:35 AM)
AC is for wussies ...
biggrin.gif  Andy

finger.gif flipa.gif

Andy,

I remember those days. My 86 TA had no ac and I drove it to work in Dallas every day. Talk about pouring myself out of it when I got home... Ugh.
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jun 20 2005, 09:50 AM)
When did my hair slide back so far??

I don't think I've every quiet heard it put like that!

laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jun 20 2005, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 20 2005, 09:57 AM)
low 90's? I'm still wearing Jeans at that point!

i didn't expect anything less from a texan. lol2.gif

I'd hate to catch a cold wink.gif laugh.gif
xsboost90
since i put the cloth seats in it rarely gets too hot to drive. I DID drive my 944 w/ black leather home from arkansas in the summer and didnt realize till i got home that the a/c worked. headbang.gif
D1A3
Temperature is irrelevant to me in "Hotlanta." When the Humidity is up over 70% (especially when above 85') I've got to park it. Morning drives and early evening are the best!

MDB2.gif

-Jason
scotty914
QUOTE (D1A3 @ Jun 20 2005, 01:31 PM)
When the Humidity is up over 70% (especially when above 85') I've got to park it.  

MDB2.gif

-Jason

over 70 % in maryland that is considered low humidity. i think during the peak of the summer it averages 80 % and 90 degrees for 2 months. then for a week it gets real bad and goes to 95 to 100 degrees. last week we had a minor heat wave it was about 85 to 90 and several people in baltimore city died in there houses due to the temp in the houses was over 100

oh and i drive it when i want with the roof off in 100 degree temps, as long as i am moving at any speed over 20 mph i am fine
ThinAir
In Flagstaff it can get down to -5 F in the winter and it's not too cold for me to drive the teener (although snow packed roads are enough to get me to park it because of the idiots on the road with me). Summer trips to Phoenix when it's 110 F are no big deal either (although I haven't had a chance to test the new engine in Phoenix).

My philosophy is - If I'm driving, I drive the teener unless something absolutely prevents me from driving it. Weather itself is never a factor.
VegasRacer
It is never to hot to drive a 914 - if you are going fast enough.
I try not to drive mine around town when it is over 105 and I don't want to arrive at my destination with a wet back. If I am going to cross the desert to California in July / August, I plan my trip so I am not doing it in the middle of the afternoon.

For even more fun - try racing in Las Vegas in the middle of the summer.
The nomex is only hot until the green flag drops. wink.gif
TravisNeff
Moving to AZ from OR, I thought it was hot at around 110degrees. One day I was telling another tech what the weather was like from another office. He was in Alabama, and he said that it was 95 degrees and 95% humidity. I shut up quickly. Talk about swimming in your own gravy
spare time toys
I do not like A/C. I work in the hanger its not air conditioned its like working in a big toaster oven. Last year I was on the ramp and we took a thermometer out while we fueled and serviced a turn and it saw 120 by the main gear. You have the engines throwing off tons of heat and the packs for the A/C blowing out in front of the mains wheel wells. I come home and push the temp up to mid 80s and get yelled at by Barb and the kids. Im probably one of the few here that sleeps under a big old comforter in the heat of summer. It was a nice comfy 97 when I drove home today windows down and Guns and Roses playing welcome to the jungle AHHH this is the life cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.