Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi Torque Starter Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
I've had this sitting on the shelf for about two years, and my current OEM starter is sounding very, very tired as the weather gets colder. I will probably end up getting it rebuilt, but I'd like to know if this hi-torque one will work plug and play in the meantime? I've heard of different ones having issues with orientation and/or eating flywheel teeth. For those that have used this one, what has been your experience?

This is for basic Type 4 engine:

TIA

Click to view attachment
brant
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 4 2019, 01:55 PM) *

I've had this sitting on the shelf for about two years, and my current OEM starter is sounding very, very tired as the weather gets colder. I will probably end up getting it rebuilt, but I'd like to know if this hi-torque one will work plug and play in the meantime? I've heard of different ones having issues with orientation and/or eating flywheel teeth. For those that have used this one, what has been your experience?

This is for basic Type 4 engine:

TIA

Click to view attachment

you should be good to go
I've used the one in the same printed box
not cheap and a good unit.

but just to be safe.
measure the distance of the Bendix when plunged out
from the mounting face of the starter

that brand/version should be the same distance as a stock one
BeatNavy
Excellent, thanks Brant!
rgolia
I have been using that one for the past three years with no issues. Really cranks beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
The only glitch is they don't have the provision to capture the mounting bolt head that the stock ones do. Installing one with the engine in the car is more of a 2 person affair.
BeatNavy
All good info, guys, thanks. Kevin - ok, I'll put my son to good use helping me do this before he goes back to school, then.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 4 2019, 05:21 PM) *

The only glitch is they don't have the provision to capture the mounting bolt head that the stock ones do. Installing one with the engine in the car is more of a 2 person affair.

Put a hose clamp on the head of the bolt, and let the screw on the hose clamp hit the housing to hold the bolt still until enough friction builds up and you can tighten the nut on the other end.

BeatNavy
All in and good. It goes "whirrrrrrrrrr" and starts right up. No smoke or fire, so apparently I wired it correctly smile.gif

Clay, tried your suggestion, as it seems a good one. But re-reading it now, I didn't do it correctly, and that's probably why I still needed to drag my son into the garage for an extra set of hands.

It's all good. Thanks for the help and comments beerchug.gif
iankarr
Congrats! Did you measure the push of the bendix before installing? I didn’t and kinda tore up a flywheel. A washer between the case and the starter reduced the distance.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jan 6 2019, 10:48 AM) *

Congrats! Did you measure the push of the bendix before installing? I didn’t and kinda tore up a flywheel. A washer between the case and the starter reduced the distance.

Thanks, Ian. I did do a quick comparison, and it looked good. Engine will probably be coming out in a few weeks, and I'll probably check it again more thoroughly if that was your experience.

That thing cranks right up. I had read previously in another thread (from Clay, IIRC) the hi-torque action helped alleviate the D-Jet hot start challenges many of us have. I've only taken a couple of short trips in it so far (now that the sun is actually out today), but it seems that may be the case. Which is awesome, as I'll probably be more willing to run those quick errands around town with the teener when I don't have to worry about the slightly annoying hot restart each time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.