Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil pressure switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
I have a pretty decent oil leak coming from or around the oil cooler. I have a new oil cooler with new seals but I think i should replace the oil pressure switch while I am at it. where is the switch located? any tips for replacing the oil cooler?-thanks
Mark Henry
The switch is sort of under the distributor, right above the oil cooler, look for the wire.
I would definitely install a new switch before I messed with the cooler, a lot of the time it is just the switch leaking.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes like Mark said this one leaks first, to the left rear of the distributor down in the sheet metal hole with a rubber boot on top and a green with red wire connected. If leaking will be loose you can wiggle the top of it, and or have oil around it. Will have to pull off the boot first to inspect

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 5 2019, 07:49 AM) *

The switch is sort of under the distributor, right above the oil cooler, look for the wire.
I would definitely install a new switch before I messed with the cooler, a lot of the time it is just the switch leaking.

jdamiano
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2019, 10:47 AM) *

yes like Mark said this one leaks first, to the left rear of the distributor down in the sheet metal hole with a rubber boot on top and a green with red wire connected. If leaking will be loose you can wiggle the top of it, and or have oil around it. Will have to pull off the boot first to inspect

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 5 2019, 07:49 AM) *

Not my post originally but I’m dealing with the same thing. I spoke with George yesterday and asked him to send me some new oil cooler seals. I just took a closer look at the switch and it is wet. Do I have to replace the entire switch or is it a seal? If you see this before you send my cooler seals George send what I need for the switch leak as well.
Mark Henry
The switch, no seal, easy to replace and they're cheap.
Also get a new boot as they're usually trashed.

The switch has a plastic cap pressed in, they last a long time but as they get old they could start to weep. Once one starts weeping it only gets worse.
Mark Henry
The switch is the same as on any aircooled VW.
Superhawk996
Be careful and hand thread in the new one first before putting a wrench to it. it is a pipe taper and shouldn't take a lot of torque to seal.

The engine on my current project arrived with the oil pressure sensor pre-stripped and leaking heavily and will need to be re-tapped. headbang.gif Oh the things that were done by previous owners!
Superhawk996
Be careful and hand thread in the new one first before putting a wrench to it. it is a pipe taper and shouldn't take a lot of torque to seal.

The engine on my current project arrived with the oil pressure sensor pre-stripped and leaking heavily and will need to be re-tapped. headbang.gif Oh the things that were done by previous owners!
jdamiano
So it seems I need a larger deep socket then I have. Does anyone know what size I need to fit the switch?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jan 5 2019, 07:21 PM) *

So it seems I need a larger deep socket then I have. Does anyone know what size I need to fit the switch?

24mm is what was on mine by I'm not sure if that switch was OEM.
porsche-tom
if it pipe thread is any Teflon tape necessary?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ Jan 6 2019, 07:04 AM) *

if it pipe thread is any Teflon tape necessary?

NO ! teflon makes the threads too slippy and then you can over torque the switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.