Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Requested. Is this repairable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CamWilson
Long story short, the deeper I get into this car, the more rust I find and I'm not sure how to proceed.

At this point, on the passenger side I have the following parts that are in need of repair

Inner long and outer long underneath the door sill
Outer layer of long in the engine bay
Inner layer of long in the engine bay
Outer layer of long in fender well
Inner layer of long in fender well
Entire outer firewall
Bottom few inches of inner firewall
4 cyl motor mount
floors

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I know that anything can be repaired with enough time and $$, but what are the chances that a hobbyist such as myself call pull this off in any respectable way?

I've built extremely stout door braces, but I'm very wary about how much metal I can take off this thing without it twisting and deforming seriously enough to effect future driving enjoyment.

Part 2 of the question.

Say I decide to jump into it. In what order should I tackle the long repairs and what additional bracing should I build in?

Thanks in advance guys, I'd be completely stuck without your input here.
ndfrigi
check this restoration thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=244443&hl=
mepstein
Do you want a big project or a running car. Cheaper and way faster to buy a solid chassis and switch the parts over but it’s your call.

CamWilson
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2019, 05:05 PM) *

Do you want a big project or a running car. Cheaper and way faster to buy a solid chassis and switch the parts over but it’s your call.

I was looking for a medium sized project, but it's sure looking like a big one now. blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 6 2019, 02:37 PM) *

And this one:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748
smash.gif

bbrock
I'm about 2/3 through a similar project. It's a big project for sure, but has been very rewarding for me. My welding skills were remedial when I started. Yours is doable, but definitely more than a medium project.
Unobtanium-inc
You have to ask yourself the eternal question, is it about the journey, or the destination? Meaning do you want to restore a car or drive one? With this car you'll spend several years restoring it, not driving it, but for some guys that's what it's about. I've bought many a freshly restored car from guys who within a year of restoring it are itching to get going on something else. Driving it and going to cars and coffee gets old for them, they want to make metal sing!
So if you're wanting to drive a 914 on the weekends soon, dump this one and buy a driver, maybe do some personal mods to it to stay engaged.
CamWilson
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 6 2019, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 6 2019, 02:37 PM) *

And this one:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748
smash.gif

Thank you! That second one is definitely more in line with my abilities. Very cool to see these projects as they progress!

Don't get me wrong, because that first one is amazing, but there's not much chance of me building up that entire fixture.
tygaboy
Life occurs on the sides of the mountain, not at the top.

Fix it. You'll learn a lot, and learn a lot about yourself. You can't buy that sort of thing.

But I'm just one guy with an opinion...
sfrenck
If you like to weld, fix it. If you don't know how to weld, do what Mepstein stated (and I did) and buy a new roller.
amfab
Boy does that look familiar. Just count on it taking longer than you think.

So far my project has been both exasperating and rewarding, and I am still at least 18 months out.

Looking at what the people here have accomplished and their support is invaluable.

I could have—maybe should have—looked for a chassis in better shape, but I have the car, and the fact that I am saving one and I will know the structure is sound when I am done and will outlast me is a good feeling.

I am getting wary about putting miles on my 993, as the car is slowly appreciating, but a 914 that I restore seems like it will somehow be immortal, because I will know I can always bring it back to life

-Andrew
mgphoto
I think it’s easier to put back together than take it apart.
I like welding and it’s pretty satisfying to see what happens when it goes together.

And becomes this

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 914 goes together easily and is a simple car PLUS all of the parts you need are easlily obtained. If you can cut and weld you are all set, looks like you have a good start. We have many times, repaired much much worse. (all because of that battery leaking!)

QUOTE(CamWilson @ Jan 6 2019, 03:31 PM) *

Long story short, the deeper I get into this car, the more rust I find and I'm not sure how to proceed.

At this point, on the passenger side I have the following parts that are in need of repair

Inner long and outer long underneath the door sill
Outer layer of long in the engine bay
Inner layer of long in the engine bay
Outer layer of long in fender well
Inner layer of long in fender well
Entire outer firewall
Bottom few inches of inner firewall
4 cyl motor mount
floors

I know that anything can be repaired with enough time and $$, but what are the chances that a hobbyist such as myself call pull this off in any respectable way?

I've built extremely stout door braces, but I'm very wary about how much metal I can take off this thing without it twisting and deforming seriously enough to effect future driving enjoyment.

Part 2 of the question.

Say I decide to jump into it. In what order should I tackle the long repairs and what additional bracing should I build in?

Thanks in advance guys, I'd be completely stuck without your input here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.