Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turbonet
I post this on the 914world facebook group but I still can't decide. Still looking for someone with that golden advice that makes me say "Yah, thats what I need to do"

I have a 73 Alaska blue metallic. Matching numbers. Its rusty but complete. Will need full restoration.

I also have 78 911SC roller. complete minus motor and trans. It pretty nice shape save for cracks in dash and seats.

I can only keep one.

What would you do??
914-300Hemi
Depends on the restoration budget. They are different animals.
horizontally-opposed
Had a 1973 914 and a 1979 911 SC, but could only keep one. The 914 was probably worth $10k~ or maybe a bit more at the time. The 911 was worth $18k~. I reasoned that I could always find another nice 911 SC, but that finding another 914 like mine would be tougher. And I'd had it since I was 15.

I still have the 914.

HOWEVER, if I were in your shoes, I'd keep the 911 SC and move the 914 on. Why? I'd much rather source and engine/trans/dash/upholstery than deal with a rusty 914...and you can always use the 911 SC as a bargaining chip to get into a better 914 down the road. Maybe a six conversion, or just a really (!) nice 914-4.

Just my two cents…
Unobtanium-inc
Yeah, like Hemi said, it depends on your budget. If you don't have the money to source and engine/gearbox for the 911, it's kind of a moot question. But a normal dude with normal funds can get a 914 going and do a lot of the work himself, so if you're low on funds, go with the 914. I doubt you can sell the 914 for enough to finish the 911, but you can sell the 911 for enough to really get somewhere on the 914.

Good luck either way, there isn't a completely wrong decision here, like blond or brunette, either way you're in good hands.
turbonet
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 6 2019, 09:28 PM) *

Had a 1973 914 and a 1979 911 SC, but could only keep one. The 914 was probably worth $10k~ or maybe a bit more at the time. The 911 was worth $18k~. I reasoned that I could always find another nice 911 SC, but that finding another 914 like mine would be tougher. And I'd had it since I was 15.

I still have the 914.

HOWEVER, if I were in your shoes, I'd keep the 911 SC and move the 914 on. Why? I'd much rather source and engine/trans/dash/upholstery than deal with a rusty 914...and you can always use the 911 SC as a bargaining chip to get into a better 914 down the road. Maybe a six conversion, or just a really (!) nice 914-4.

Just my two cents…

Use as a bargaining chip down the road....hmmmmmm....that's the exact thinking I'm looking for.
VegasRacer
Why are you in this situation? Budget? Time table? Shop space?
What will it cost to get each one back on the road? 20K?
How much can you get for them in their current condition? 5K?
Are you sentimentally attached to either car?

Sell them both and get something better.

My choice would be easy. I only ever looked at 911's as parts donors, and the best stuff is already gone on this one.
RickS
I happen to have both and they are very different animals. The 914 to me is a more raw, basic, stripped down sports car. It corners beautifully, is fantastic on warm days with the top off, and has an undeniable cache. That said, for me, the 914 is a riot for day jaunts but can get uncomfortable (ho-hum seats and a suspension which is pretty basic) on 4+ hour freeway drives. If you are getting older, getting in and out can be an issue. At least that will be a few years away for me.

The SC is far more refined, comfortable, powerful but doesn’t nearly corner as well and lacks the rawness. The 914 is easy to drive fast, the SC takes skill and precision. I have spun the SC more than once, but it was on the track, not so for the 914. As you can have already guessed, the SC handles long distances well and you are comfortable. It’s easy to get in and out of but lacks the approachability of the 914, and carries the “prick is on the inside” stigma. So that’s why I have both. Sometimes I feel like a prick and sometimes I don’t wink.gif. Probably confused you more.

Good luck on your choice
cali914
Let your wife choose. Otherwise pick the one that you would have more fun driving.
cali914
I hated my 1980 sc with only 180 hp sold it and went back to my v8 914. Never regretted a moment of that decision.
turbonet
I suppose I should mention I have a 79 SC and a 74 914 as well.

I just don't have time for 2 cars let alone 4. So two have to go. I've always
been a 911 guy but I really like the 73.

So what it really comes down to is a 79SC. All stock matching numbers car plus one of the others.

73 is matching numbers
74 is not original but very clean rust wise
78SC no motor no trans

I eliminated the 74 because it's not original anymore. Was used as a racecar for a while.

So that leaves me with thr other two.
No particular emotional attachment other than my affinity for 911's.
The 914 has really grown on me though.

turbonet
QUOTE(cali914 @ Jan 6 2019, 10:15 PM) *

Let your wife choose. Otherwise pick the one that you would have more fun driving.

But I don't want to sell all of them.....
DaveO90s4
Can you address and solve the issue that is causing you this conundrum?
billh1963
From a financial sense it would make more sense to sell them both and buy a good running 911 or 914
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 7 2019, 06:39 AM) *

From a financial sense it would make more sense to sell them both and buy a good running 911 or 914

agree.gif
Once you source an engine and trans, the SC could be made running very quickly. But even without, It has pretty good value as it sits. The rusty 914 will take lots of time and money and probably wont be more than what it cost to fix it but if it’s pretty rusty, it’s only a parts car as it sits.

Off the top of my head I would guess your SC is worth about $12-15 while the 914 is worth about $3.
SteveL
If you are for sure keeping the 79 SC, and it is already nice, then I'd keep the 914.
Sell the 78 SC and use the funds to work towards a really nice 914. Then you have two different toys to pick from each day, rather than picking between two of the same.
EdwardBlume
IMHO - Sell them both.

If you can't decide between the two you really aren't into either one.

Some people do this for passion, some for money, some for whatever else.

Passion lasts a long time, longer than money, whatever else comes and goes.

Good luck!

campbellcj
^ I agree that selling both to raise funds for as nice a complete/drivable car as possible makes the most logical sense. If the SC roller is complete and solid it should sell quickly.
TravisNeff
Do you want a resto project, or something that runs and drives that you only need to tinker with?

I have both an SC and 914. The 914 is much more fun to drive. If one had to go it would be the 911. But then again I would ditch my DD and get something cheaper if it was coming down to those hard choices.
bbrock
Well, you asked what would "I" do so here it is. Given that "I" would still have a nice SC to drive regardless of the decision and "I" like the project challenge of restoring a car needing some love, "I" would sell the other SC and keep the 914 to have a nice project and eventually a helluva fun car to drive. If for some reason "I" wasn't ready to take on a project at this time, "I" would do as others suggest; sell them both and start shopping for a nice 914.
ValcoOscar
WOW...I'm sure your head is spinning from all the input but in reality, you should decide on which one to keep and get your wallet ready. Either option will require big $$$. If you're not prepared financially sell them both and get a nice running 914 you can enjoy right away. driving.gif Welcome to our madness...enjoy the journey.

BTW...it's boring having a finished car...all my cars are ongoing projects...just have to space out my pennies.

beerchug.gif

Oscar
RARE 6
Depends on your idea of fun. If "fun" is a lengthy up on jackstands project, keep the 914 and sell the SC for project funds. If instead "fun" equals driving, sell 'em both (since you already have another SC for that experience) and buy a street-ready 914. The latter would be my choice since I'm into instant gratification vs. hours of cutting/welding/etc.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(turbonet @ Jan 7 2019, 12:03 AM) *

I post this on the 914world facebook group but I still can't decide. Still looking for someone with that golden advice that makes me say "Yah, thats what I need to do"

I have a 73 Alaska blue metallic. Matching numbers. Its rusty but complete. Will need full restoration.

I also have 78 911SC roller. complete minus motor and trans. It pretty nice shape save for cracks in dash and seats.

I can only keep one.

What would you do??

I had both for years into the early 90's and can say as others have stated they each have their own character. For me I preferred the 914 even driving it from Northern Ohio to the Porsche Parade in Colorado in IIRC '78. Sold both to get into boating. Fast forward to 3 years ago now being retired- I bought a 914 roller and rebuilt it. Not even thinking about looking back on the decision. Of course my driving distance are day trips out with the wife in the general area where we live. Longest trips were to Mid Ohio for the IMSA races and to the Stoddard's Swap meet. Love the 914. Oh I still have the boat too
mtndawg
I've owned 1 '82 SC and 3 914's, I also have a 914 currently. I like the 914 because it's got a uniqueness the SC doesn't have. When I walked among the hundreds of 911's at Rennsport this year and compared them with the 2 dozen 914's I had continued appreciation for them. The SC is great and is an icon. If you want to get your hands dirty and drive a raw car with the bare necessities you drive a 914.
Rand
What was the name of this forum again?
74ravenna
Well, you have to ask yourself two questions;

1) Why did I buy the 914?
2) Why did I buy the 911SC?

If that doesn't help make up your mind, then try this little trick that might help your mind sort out your problem;

Flip a coin!

Heads is the 914, tails is the 911sc.

If, when the coin lands to show you which car is staying (or going) and you have a deep regret that it landed that way (or you're made happy), then you should know.

preach
So you have 2 914s and 2 911 SCs?

Sell the projects and buy a Cayman.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you can only do one, since it would cost the same labor rate and the 911 is much more valuable, do the 911, sell it and then use the big profit to do and keep the 914!!!

QUOTE(turbonet @ Jan 6 2019, 10:03 PM) *

I can only keep one.

What would you do??
Mark Henry
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 7 2019, 06:39 AM) *

agree.gif
Winner winner chicken dinner!

I've always told my customers to buy the best car they can find, even if they needed a loan. A finished, sorted car will be 25 cents on the dollar compared to a full resto, then add the fact you can drive today, not 2-10 years from now.
Sell both and buy the car you want.

I just bought a finished 914 (blown engine) for less than the used value of the aftermarket parts that are on it. I could sell all the go-fast goodies, put it back to stock and have a free car.
horizontally-opposed
^ Gonna have to agree with the above.

If you have a nice 911 SC (indeed a key piece of missing info), then it doesn't make much sense (to me) to sell the 914 to keep another SC. I'd sell both and turn them into a nicer 914 to go alongside your existing SC. Or sell your running SC and the rusty 914 use the funds to get the other SC running and a better 914.

Rust ain't fun to deal with, and always leaves me with a sinking feeling that the job is never truly done. And I agree with everyone that 914s are cooler at events, etc for the simple fact that they are now much more unusual. Saw the same thing at Rennsport, and see it all the time at EASY. There are more 356s at most Porsche events than 914s, and the 912s look like the scores of 911s. 914s really stand out, are worth studying, and are the last stop before modern, water-cooled 924/944/928/etc.
turbonet
UGH!!!! So many valid points!!!! I decided last night the 914 was going but now I'm not sure again. lol

I really like the idea of the uniqueness of the 914. Like some of said, generally, the 914 is the least common of the air cooled cars at car shows.

I really like both cars but I can't keep both so I have to chose. It may come down to a coin toss like someone posted earlier......
Freezin 914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 7 2019, 04:21 PM) *

What was the name of this forum again?

IMPO, 914’s are more rare. Especially in great condition! Maybe not as valuable. I live close to Road America, on any given weekend, hundreds of 911’s can be seen. Maybe 1 or 2 914’s parked in the lots, if any at all. That being said, rust could be a determining factor. All Porsche cars suffer from rust, but 914’s seem to suffer more. As others have said, sell both and get a Porsche that gets you revved up. I am sure there a few handful of guys that will buy up your cars, and you will have a pocket of cash to go shopping with! Good luck!
Unobtanium-inc
If anyone wants to really put themselves in this guy's shoes. Just take this deal, then you can be in the same boat.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/cl...6790373179.html

turbonet
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 8 2019, 08:30 PM) *

If anyone wants to really put themselves in this guy's shoes. Just take this deal, then you can be in the same boat.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/cl...6790373179.html

lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.