Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carb timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
Reading an article on the bird board it says timing for a carbed engine should be 34 degrees @ 3200RPM? Is this right or should I stay with 27 degrees @3500RPM.
ArtechnikA
"a" carbed engine ?

what *kind* of carbed engine?

i know of some for which that'd be too much, others for which it'd be too little.

cam? compression? octane rating?
tat2dphreak
I *THINK* 34 is optimum, BUT IIRC, there is no way to acheive this without a Mallory dizzy, I think the 009 tops out at 28(or so) and the 050 stops at like 31...

my numbers may be a bit off, but you see the problem.
Mueller
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 20 2005, 11:41 AM)
I *THINK* 34 is optimum, BUT IIRC, there is no way to acheive this without a Mallory dizzy, I think the 009 tops out at 28(or so) and the 050 stops at like 31...

huh???? a dizzy tops out at whatever spec you want it to depending on the base numbers...try it at 27° first, then move it up until you loose power or start to ping/heat up.

you can run 50° advance with a stock dizzy if you want, but it'll be hard to start the car smile.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 20 2005, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 20 2005, 11:41 AM)

huh???? a dizzy tops out at whatever spec you want it to depending on the base numbers...try it at 27° first, then move it up until you loose power or start to ping/heat up.

you can run 50° advance with a stock dizzy if you want, but it'll be hard to start the car smile.gif

huh.gif maybe I misunderstood, but Jake was saying that peak advance on a 009 and 050 are quite lower than the advnce curve needed for carbs confused24.gif

I dunno... maybe the Jake will see this and rescue me on this one... and clarify?
Mueller
you are correct in the "advance curve" might be less...

see these 2 examples:

if you set the dizzy to have 10° at idle and it swings 17° you have a total of 27°

now if you set it at 17° idle, you could get a max advance of 34°...the car will be harder to start at 17° static timing
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 20 2005, 02:28 PM)
you are correct in the "advance curve" might be less...

see these 2 examples:

if you set the dizzy to have 10° at idle and it swings 17° you have a total of 27°

now if you set it at 17° idle, you could get a max advance of 34°...the car will be harder to start at 17° static timing

ok, I see, you were talking static timing and I was saying total advance...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.