Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First/revers idler gear condition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi folks!

I’m “freshing” up my transmission that came with my car - I have no idea about it’s condition.

Hence, I bought Dr. Evil’s dvd and took the whole shebang a part for inspection.

Surprisingly gears 2-5 look very good and it appears that the rings have been replaced
and the dog teeth look nice and pointy.

The only worn part appears to be the 1/R idler gear, strangely in the middle (yellow circle) and the green areas?!?!

Is this normal?

I have a spare idler gear with matching 1/R I’m contemplating to swap.

Thanks for the groups feedback! beerchug.gif

dc

PS: the pics were taken before the cleaning. Came out nice and clean.
PPS: any suggestions where to buy the thrust and needle bearings?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
I'm no Dr. Evil, but the center of the idler isn't a wear surface. They don't waste the machine time making it nice.

The teeth you circled in green are worn, but I've seen worse. If your spare looks better, I'd swap it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if any question you can buy a perfect used one for 25 bucks

QUOTE(draganc @ Jan 7 2019, 11:07 PM) *

Hi folks!

I’m “freshing” up my transmission that came with my car - I have no idea about it’s condition.

Hence, I bought Dr. Evil’s dvd and took the whole shebang a part for inspection.

Surprisingly gears 2-5 look very good and it appears that the rings have been replaced
and the dog teeth look nice and pointy.

The only worn part appears to be the 1/R idler gear, strangely in the middle (yellow circle) and the green areas?!?!

Is this normal?

I have a spare idler gear with matching 1/R I’m contemplating to swap.

Thanks for the groups feedback! beerchug.gif

dc

PS: the pics were taken before the cleaning. Came out nice and clean.
PPS: any suggestions where to buy the thrust and needle bearings?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

draganc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 8 2019, 07:34 AM) *

if any question you can buy a perfect used one for 25 bucks

George,

Thanks for the tip!

I thought the idler and the first/revers gears are a matching set.

Is it ok to replace just the idler without the other two or were you referring the $25
for all three gears?

Regards,
dc

PS: do you have them in your web store? How about those new thrust and needle bearings?
draganc
Any group conclusion if the idler gear is a matching set with the 1st/R gears and OK to be replace indivually, with a other used unit?

Thanks!
dc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.